wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
My top two guesses would be a parking wheel boot clamped on, and if that hasn't happened- do you go through automatic car washes? The mechanical trough that drags the car through.

OP
OP
Bill33525

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
My top two guesses would be a parking wheel boot clamped on, and if that hasn't happened- do you go through automatic car washes? The mechanical trough that drags the car through.
Neither one of those have happened.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Hit a pot hole or man hole cover/cap? If that happened while you were driving you would know you hit something.

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
When did your car go into the dealer most recently?
Tech accidently curbed it pulling into bay.......

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
How unfortunate that the rim protector label on the tire points directly at the rim damage.

Looks like the rim has been thoroughly cleaned since the damage happened. Usually the debris and color will give a clue but no evidence remains…

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Definitely looks like symptoms of curb rash. I have similar damage on one of my wheels. I've been meaning to get it fixed with my wheel protection insurance but haven't brought it into the dealer yet.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
The wheel hit something, obviously.
That's a bit of a downside of a heavy car: you don't feel it when you hit something...🤷🏻‍♂️

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Putting loads of lock on when pulling away from a curb you've parked very close to? Might not hear / feel that and would cause an indent like yours rather than a big scrape.

OP
OP
Bill33525

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
When did your car go into the dealer most recently?
Tech accidently curbed it pulling into bay.......
Yes, I suspect it happened on my recent visit but didn’t notice it when the car was picked up. Sent pic to Service advisor. He was suppose to ask his wheel tech for advice on how it could happen. If it happened pulling into the bay any way to be sure?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I got a mark about 10% that size in similar location on similar style wheel. I was crawling along just overlapping a soft verge to make room for oncoming vehicles in a congested village, and heard and felt a very noticeable but brief impact. As there was nowhere nearby to stop and examine, I assumed it would at worst be minor cosmetic damage so carried on but kept an eye on the tyre pressures. I'd guess that the culprit was a raised metal drain cover hidden in the undergrowth- lesson learned, be more selfish steering clear of uncharted terrain.
EDIT- and my point is, I don't think that the damage you've got could have happened without a very noticeable impact.

Last edited:

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Yes, I suspect it happened on my recent visit but didn’t notice it when the car was picked up. Sent pic to Service advisor. He was suppose to ask his wheel tech for advice on how it could happen. If it happened pulling into the bay any way to be sure?
Did they work on the wheels while it was there? I mean of the wheels weren't worked on, then it coulda been any kinda curbing.
My thought is it happened inside the shop. Look at the top ding- it's perfectly smooth as though metal has crushed it. Usually cement or concrete curbs "crush" the wheel, and leave the sort of rough edges like the bottom one only more so. The top one looks to me like a metal object smoothly rolled against it, as it's perfectly spherical. Like a metal object attached to the shop floor perhaps?
I mean honestly- it's a wide car, nobody drives my car because of the Mission Es, and mistakes happen. So you didn't notice it when you picked it up. If I went back and said "I know I didn't do this, I was just here" a reputable dealer with a good relationship should be repairing the wheel.
I wonder if it can be fixed well and not have to be replaced. Mission E is $2k I heard.
Sponsored