Struggling Decision for Taycan RWD

Patrick.ttk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 cayman s
Country flag
I’m recently looking into the Taycan RWD as 4S has a massive difference in price in my region. ie. Its like almost double. I do have a few hesitations after seeking advices from my friends yet I’m not truly agreeing in all of them. I was told the battery system is 5-10years behind tesla and the acceleration in a Taycan RWD wont give me much fun. I was told the batteries will be like your old iphone, once its dying and expensive to replace, it will end up being worthless. It basically depreciates drastically.
The dealer only allowed me to try a 4S or turbo as that is what they can only provide at the moment So I felt a bit risky in buying a RWD without testing it myself in person but the wait of test driving the Taycan RWD car will be half a year later.

I do hope owners of Taycan RWD can shed me some lights regarding this big question mark in myself.
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There are tons of reviews and analysis done by qualified, non-anonymous people.

BTW, when someone says anyone is 5-10 years behind Tesla, ask them
1. Are you a Tesla owner or investor?
2. Behind specifically in what measure?
3. Why is there such a big range in the estimate? Do you not know if it is 5 years, 7, 10? Or is there such a small difference between being 5 years behind vs. 10 years?

Last edited:

Kevinn522

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan RWD ordered EST Delivery 6/11
Country flag
I don't know of anyone that has actually taken delivery of the Taycan RWD in the US, Europe, and Australia. I am one of the folks that put in an order for a RWD and looking to take delivery in June. As far as my research is concerned, I am pleased with my own findings about the car. Cannot speak to the comments surrounding battery comparison to Tesla. I do know that the acceleration on the RWD doesn't compare to 4S and T/TS however it's enough to get yourself into trouble at ~ 5.1 seconds 0-60.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag
Porsche does a few things that I’m aware of differently than Tesla. They limit performance below maxmum capabilities so that it can be consistent which likely increases life and build in a buffer which not only increases life but makes it so you somt ever notice degradation that does occur. Go watch the smoking tires drive with rwd. You may not be able to accelerate like a Tesla (most cars don’t) but you can have a lot of fun still.

JonasOfNorway

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I own a 4s. Got a loaner base rwd a few weeks back when my was at the shop.
At first i was a bit dissappinted with it. It lacks the imidiate punch that the 4s gives. This is also visible when you compare 0-60 times.

But.

It is a gem to drive. It is still a fast car, the zero to 60 time is mostly from the lack of two axels with grip. From 40-60 it packs a nice torqy punch. And the way the ass comes out, looking for grip when you floor it is nothing short of engaging, fun and awsome. It brings loads of character to the car.

If the base was available when i bought, i dont think i would have gone with the 4s.

Base rwd with ptv pluss (give the rear som extra grip). One day i think we will see a Taycan S, rearwheel drive but with the turbo/turbo s rear drivetrain. Perhaps as a GTS. I will struggle not to do the switch then..

Taycan SPORT Turismo S?

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
The 4S is nearly double the price! wow! Even though I love my 4S, I definitely don't think it is worth two RWDs!

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
I just ordered the RWD in the US. For what I wanted in a Taycan, the RWD drive gave me virtually everything that the 4S and Turbo models deliver for a fraction of the cost. I've driven the 4S and TurboS and sure, 0-60 < 3 seconds is fun. That however is really unimportant to me in real world use.

Battery in the US is Porsche responsibility for longer than I will own the car so no issue there.

Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag
My RWD should be built by 26/03 & hopefully have it for my birthday end of April.
I too considered 4s long & hard but for me personally RWD was better value.
If 4s is double the price than it is a no brainer than to go for RWD.

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
I deliberately waited for the Taycan RWD to launch, and I got my delivery a couple of weeks ago; here's what I think about the matter:

1- I bought my Taycan not as an exotic weekend car, but as an everyday driver. It has the same "wow factor" as more expensive Taycans & the same tech. Plus, it's the cheapest version and the longest range version. What more can you ask from a daily driver?

2- The acceleration doesn't rip your face off like the 4S or the Turbos, it's a much more linear delivery of power, making it a better daily driver. 0-100km in 5.1 seconds isn't slow either.

3- It's a real Grand Tourer with less weight and Rear Wheel Drive. Much more fun to drive in curvy roads than the 4WD versions. RWD Taycan feels more like a 911 than the other versions.

4- 4WD offers a more planted handling, I can't argue with that. But the RWD isn't an untamable beast either. Never had a situation where I wish I had more traction. My car also has the optional Torque Vectoring, so I'm extremely confident in it's handling capabilities. It's a Porsche after all.

5- If you don't believe me, just go watch the latest RWD Taycan reviews on Youtube. Most of the reviews say the same thing: "Taycan is the best sporting EV out there, and the RWD version is the best version. So it's the best of the best. For a cheaper price =)

Hope this helps!

HerrCooles

First Name
Herr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ice grey
Country flag
Personally, I feel safer with a 4WD. of course you don't need it all the time, but if you need it it could "save your life". If I don't have enough money for that, I would buy something else. Everyone has to decide for themselves. I don't buy a sports car if I want a low-consumption car?!?

Rcrewse7

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2013 G550, 2016 Metris
Country flag
I hope this adds to the great comments already shared.

Some real world testing of the RWD out in the wild in the article and embedded video from today.

Matching up with other comments, looks like takeoff acceleration is quick, but not quite as jarring as the faster variants. At speed the car behaves like a faster car.

I’d be curious to see if they’re really using the smaller 4S motor in the back and are truly limited by the torque output from a dead stop, or if they’re using the larger Turbo motor and just detuning it from a stop to maintain model hierarchy but opening it up a little at speed.

https://www.motor1.com/news/496012/porsche-taycan-rwd-acceleration-test/

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Tesla and its rabid group of fans are good at over-hyping the company and its products imo. A few things to consider:
-Telsa tends to advertise best case acceleration and range numbers while Porsche is much more conservative. So the real world difference isn't as great as it first appears. Plus, Porsche builds in a little margin to ensure longer batter life and repeatable performance.
-Tesla's currently use the same fundamental battery tech: lithium ion. So, if a new battery tech comes along in the next 5 years you'll be in the same boat as if you had bought a Tesla.
-In the US atleast, Porsche offers an 8 year warranty on the battery. You might want to check the warranty policies in your country.
-Not many people have driven the RWD version yet but there are lots of positive reviews out so far. When looking at 0-60 times as a guage for how quick a car is, keep in mind that in real world acceleraetion (sometimes measured as 5-60), EVs tend to accelerate much quicker than gas powered cars that post the same 0-60 time. That's cause you dont have to do stuff like brake-torque and rev an EV to get its best performance.
Sponsored