Stuck in Big Sur, no charger!

rcs1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Targa GTS
Country flag
Help!

I'm at the Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur, CA. The hotel told me that they had electric vehicle charging, but it turns out they only have Tesla.

There is a 110 volt outlet at the hotel, but I don't have enough charge to get to Monterey or Carmel (where there is fast charging), and Amazon is saying it will take 3 or 4 days to get me a charger to the hotel (by which time I am supposed to be leaving).

Does anyone know anywhere near-ish that I could buy a portable (ideally cheap) level 1 charger so I can at least get enough charge in the battery to get me to a fast charger?

Thanks Robert
Sponsored

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
Help!

I'm at the Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur, CA. The hotel told me that they had electric vehicle charging, but it turns out they only have Tesla.

There is a 110 volt outlet at the hotel, but I don't have enough charge to get to Monterey or Carmel (where there is fast charging), and Amazon is saying it will take 3 or 4 days to get me a charger to the hotel (by which time I am supposed to be leaving).

Does anyone know anywhere near-ish that I could buy a portable (ideally cheap) level 1 charger so I can at least get enough charge in the battery to get me to a fast charger?

Thanks Robert
You need a Tesla Tap to use hotel Tesla charger, your car charger pack will have a 110 plug just swap out the plug end and then with 24 hours to get some mile into the car

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also check to see if the Tesla charger is hard wired or a plug-in model and at the same time see if they have a 240 plug anywhere like for laundry or something you also have a plug for that in the charging kit

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Lastly check around for any other EVs as a lot of us a carrying Tesla Taps

Dogs_Tess_Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (delivered 31/07/2020), 996 911 C4S, Mercedes_E320
Country flag

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
@SFEVER Any ideas which TeslaTap is recommended for UK/European Taycan models?
I have have found these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TeslaTap-Tesla-J-1772-Adapter-AMP/dp/B07N55QKFH
http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=120

I think the second link is possible for US models

Thanks in advance
In Europe we have different connectors to the US! Here we hve the Mennekes Type2. They are exactly the same in the Tesla and the Taycan. And a lot of other cars sold in Europe.
You do not need any extra items to charge. Tesla destination Chargers can be used at a lot of Hotels, Testaurants and Golf Clubs etc. You can easily find these locations from the Tesla website.

Happy Driving

Dogs_Tess_Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (delivered 31/07/2020), 996 911 C4S, Mercedes_E320
Country flag
In Europe we have different connectors to the US! Here we hve the Mennekes Type2. They are exactly the same in the Tesla and the Taycan. And a lot of other cars sold in Europe.
You do not need any extra items to charge. Tesla destination Chargers can be used at a lot of Hotels, Testaurants and Golf Clubs etc. You can easily find these locations from the Tesla website.

Happy Driving
Nice..... thanks for sharing the info

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@rcs1000

what do you have with you?
how much charge do you currently have in the battery?
how long are you gong to be there?
what time frame are you looking to resolve this problem?

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I can think of a thousand worse places to be stuck. Enjoy the view from the infinity pool, a thousand feet down to the Pacific Ocean!

I can be there in four or five days.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Help!

Thanks Robert
I guess your not going on another road trip without your Porsche charger in the trunk then! If you run to turtle mode then call Porsche to flat bed truck you to a charging point.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@rcs1000 I have left a JDapter 40 amp at the front desk of the Post Ranch Inn - you can private message me for return instructions - I tried it out with my Taycan and it charges just fine at the Post Ranch Inn chargers.

the front desk is expecting you to pick it up.

the adapter has to be well seated and pushed in fully to the Tesla connection end - and it is very very hard to separate after you use it - but it will come off (the fittings are very tight - an issue fixed in the later 80 amp version).

but this should get you charging @ Post Ranch Inn with their Tesla Chargers - and then you can decide what to do from there.

enjoy - take care - and @louv is right -there are 10,000 worse places to be stuck.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
these picture were all taken this morning at the Post Ranch Inn - I Tested it all before I left the adapter
  • 8.68 kW charge rate = 40 amp charger - so we're good
  • chargers are next to the front desk
  • JDApter is the 40 amp version - which will do for now - cause the chargers all appears to be 40 amp charges - I recommend the 80 amp version for purchase in case one encounters a 48 amp Tesla charger - 48 amp would potentially overheat a 40 amp JDApter/TeslaTap…
  • the adapter fit was very very snug - and it was very difficult to pull apart - this is expected and it just takes hard work and pulling to remove the adapter

Porsche Taycan Stuck in Big Sur, no charger! B0E4610C-AC33-4FEE-B81B-4F4BC38647EB

Porsche Taycan Stuck in Big Sur, no charger! 752CC7D2-F0C3-4A35-A4D4-B524825281A9

Porsche Taycan Stuck in Big Sur, no charger! 9E8D3E4F-D6FC-482F-A9BE-45B82832F427

Last edited:

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@rcs1000 I have left a JDapter 40 amp at the front desk of the Post Ranch Inn - you can private message me for return instructions - I tried it out with my Taycan and it charges just fine at the Post Ranch Inn chargers.

the front desk is expecting you to pick it up.

the adapter has to be well seated and pushed in fully to the Tesla connection end - and it is very very hard to separate after you use it - but it will come off (the fittings are very tight - an issue fixed in the later 80 amp version).

but this should get you charging @ Post Ranch Inn with their Tesla Chargers - and then you can decide what to do from there.

enjoy - take care - and @louv is right -there are 10,000 worse places to be stuck.
@daveo4EV is hereby nominated for Taycan Owner Humanitarian of the Year Award!!

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Bravo @daveoEV ! ! !

You saved me a trip from Maine to Monterey! :cool:
Sponsored

Last edited: