louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
@rcs1000 I have left a JDapter 40 amp at the front desk of the Post Ranch Inn - you can private message me for return instructions - I tried it out with my Taycan and it charges just fine at the Post Ranch Inn chargers.

the front desk is expecting you to pick it up.

the adapter has to be well seated and pushed in fully to the Tesla connection end - and it is very very hard to separate after you use it - but it will come off (the fittings are very tight - an issue fixed in the later 80 amp version).

but this should get you charging @ Post Ranch Inn with their Tesla Chargers - and then you can decide what to do from there.

enjoy - take care - and @louv is right -there are 10,000 worse places to be stuck.
Also, be sure to connect the adapter to the Tesla Charging Station FIRST. WAIT 30 seconds. Then plug into the car.

Congrats on your first “roadtrip adventure”.
Sponsored

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 928S
Country flag
Is a "Tesla Tap" just a physical cable that makes the interconnect between Tesla's charger and the Taycan charging port? I thought that Tesla chargers were proprietary, and you needed an account with Tesla even if you had the physical ability to connect the Tesla charger to the Taycan. Please explain how to charge a Taycan from a Tesla charger. What do I need to buy (US Configuration)? What type of accounts do I need to set up?

In addition to taking the "Porsche Car Connect" portable charger and both the 220V and 110V plugs with me on a US road trip, what other connectors and adaptors should I buy and carry with me to give me the flexibility to charge from Tesla chargers as well as other, non-Electrify America chargers?

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
In addition to taking the "Porsche Car Connect" portable charger and both the 220V and 110V plugs with me on a US road trip, what other connectors and adaptors should I buy and carry with me to give me the flexibility to charge from Tesla chargers as well as other, non-Electrify America chargers?
Please see the EV Road Warriors thread on this site. TeslaTap and a range of adapters coupled with your Mobile Connect Charger need to stay in your car when you are on the road.

And BRAVO ZULU to daveo4porsche. Well done Dave!!!!!!!!

Toby

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Methinks you’re complaining ;)
Yes. Absolutely. I am complaining. I haven’t stayed at the Post Ranch Inn since... oh... my birthday in 1997 or 98. I did drive by it on my way around the country, though. I waved.

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Please see the EV Road Warriors thread on this site. TeslaTap and a range of adapters coupled with your Mobile Connect Charger need to stay in your car when you are on the road.

And BRAVO ZULU to daveo4porsche. Well done Dave!!!!!!!!

Toby
Thank you for your quick response. Please tell me how do I find the "EV Road Warrior" thread? I searched and couldn't find it.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@GaryT - so to address your question/thought

"I thought that Tesla chargers were proprietary, and you needed an account with Tesla even if you had the physical ability to connect the Tesla charger to the Taycan. Please explain how to charge a Taycan from a Tesla charger. What do I need to buy (US Configuration)? What type of accounts do I need to set up?"
You are correct and your are wrong (but not entirely wrong :CWL:)

there are two types of Tesla Chargers
  1. Tesla Superchargers (Fast DC charging)
  2. Tesla Destination chargers (AC L1/L2 chargers - nearly identical in function and charging speed to the Porsche Mobile Connect Charger)
#1 _IS_ proprietary and the Taycan today, and the foreseeable future, has _NO_ method by which the Taycan can utilize this fast charging network without both a business and technical arrangement between Porsche & Tesla - I won't hold my breath for this - and neither should you.

#2 - these are chargers installed at businesses, hotels, golf courses, restaurants, etc…these are just normal everyday residential chargers business owners have installed and choose to make available to their customers. The chargers at the Post Ranch Inn (and other hotels) are just normal run of the mill everyday residential L2 Tesla chargers - however installed at a business. There is NO network, there is no payment, there is no account - use of these chargers are at the discretion of the business owner than has installed and presumably owns the charger.

now the Tesla Destination chargers do "appear" proprietary, but they are in fact just thinly disguised J-1772 compatible L2 240 volt AC chargers - but they have this different shaped plugged - if you can get past the plug shape they will charge most any J-1772 EV (like the Taycan) just as well as they will charge a Tesla.

so if one has a JDApter or a TeslaTap adapter in one's frunk - and say they are stuck at the Post Ranch Inn with no other type of chargers available, you can use the JDApter/TeslaTap adapter to plug the Taycan in to a Tesla L2 Destination Charger (with the business owner's permission) - and voila your Taycan will charge from the Tesla L2 Charger!

the pictures I posted on this thread are of my Taycan charging at the Post Ranch Inn via the JDApter I left at the front desk - so I know it works.

It also appears the Post Ranch Inn Tesla chargers are nice high quality 40 amp chargers (50 amp breaker) so the Taycan charges at nearly 8.7 kW which is a good charge rate, and would fill the Taycan overnight in 9 hours or less.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@rcs1000 - please update us as to when/if you get the charging working.

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@GaryT - so to address your question/thought

You are correct and your are wrong (but not entirely wrong :CWL:)

there are two types of Tesla Chargers
  1. Tesla Superchargers (Fast DC charging)
  2. Tesla Destination chargers (AC L1/L2 chargers - nearly identical in function and charging speed to the Porsche Mobile Connect Charger)
#1 _IS_ proprietary and the Taycan today, and the foreseeable future, has _NO_ method by which the Taycan can utilize this fast charging network without both a business and technical arrangement between Porsche & Tesla - I won't hold my breath for this - and neither should you.

#2 - these are chargers installed at businesses, hotels, golf courses, restaurants, etc…these are just normal everyday residential chargers business owners have installed and choose to make available to their customers. The chargers at the Post Ranch Inn (and other hotels) are just normal run of the mill everyday residential L2 Tesla chargers - however installed at a business. There is NO network, there is no payment, there is no account - use of these chargers are at the discretion of the business owner than has installed and presumably owns the charger.

now the Tesla Destination chargers do "appear" proprietary, but they are in fact just thinly disguised J-1772 compatible L2 240 volt AC chargers - but they have this different shaped plugged - if you can get past the plug shape they will charge most any J-1772 EV (like the Taycan) just as well as they will charge a Tesla.

so if one has a JDApter or a TeslaTap adapter in one's frunk - and say they are stuck at the Post Ranch Inn with no other type of chargers available, you can use the JDApter/TeslaTap adapter to plug the Taycan in to a Tesla L2 Destination Charger (with the business owner's permission) - and voila your Taycan will charge from the Tesla L2 Charger!

the pictures I posted on this thread are of my Taycan charging at the Post Ranch Inn via the JDApter I left at the front desk - so I know it works.

It also appears the Post Ranch Inn Tesla chargers are nice high quality 40 amp chargers (50 amp breaker) so the Taycan charges at nearly 8.7 kW which is a good charge rate, and would fill the Taycan overnight in 9 hours or less.
Thank you very much, I appreciate your help. Your answers are highly informative and since this is my first EV, I have a lot to learn.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this is my first EV
LOL - :CWL: OMG you are starting out sooooo spoiled - the Taycan is awesome - what a place to start! Welcome and congratulations! as a first EV the Taycan sets a very very high bar!

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
LOL - :CWL: OMG you are starting out sooooo spoiled - the Taycan is awesome - what a place to start! Welcome and congratulations! as a first EV the Taycan sets a very very high bar!
Yes, I have been spoiled by driving Porsches for about 30 years. When they announced the "Mission E" I couldn't' wait to get one as my first EV knowing that if it were a Porsche, it had to be terrific. Now that I have my car; I was right, it is.

Talking about being spoiled, I stayed in a "Tree House" at the Post Ranch Inn about 20 years ago for about four nights in October. For early risers, "Old Man Post" guided nature and outdoor sculpture walks along the bluffs in the 7AM fog. It was a magical experience that I'll never forget.
Sponsored