Martinl

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Been reading the forums for a while and due to receive car in November. One thing I can't get my head around is the internal WiFi hotspot.

If this isn't providing internet access, what on earth are you connecting to it for? Surely all the other remote stuff for the car is handled on its local SIM to the cloud which you can access and control from your phone without access to the cars WiFi hotspot.

Just confused :)

Thanks.
Sponsored

Frozenbluenj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
You aren't confused. Your are right it has no practical purpose without internet connectivity. Hopefully porsche corrects this is an update.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Been reading the forums for a while and due to receive car in November. One thing I can't get my head around is the internal WiFi hotspot.

If this isn't providing internet access, what on earth are you connecting to it for? Surely all the other remote stuff for the car is handled on its local SIM to the cloud which you can access and control from your phone without access to the cars WiFi hotspot.

Thanks.
It is clearly a work in progress. In Span and I guess in other EU countries the WiFi hotspot can be booked with Porsche and is working. In the US it is not working, Porsche seems to be still negotiating deals with wireless operators. In China it's all done, but not working due to technical issues.

Nhb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is clearly a work in progress. In Span and I guess in other EU countries the WiFi hotspot can be booked with Porsche and is working. In the US it is not working, Porsche seems to be still negotiating deals with wireless operators. In China it's all done, but not working due to technical issues.
I thought there was something wrong with my Sim card when it wouldn't connect. Bringing into dealer to see if it is simply the fact Porsche hasn't negotiated a deal with an ISP.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I thought there was something wrong with my Sim card when it wouldn't connect. Bringing into dealer to see if it is simply the fact Porsche hasn't negotiated a deal with an ISP.
I don’t believe anyone in the US has this working, so unless you have another reason to go to dealer, maybe wait a bit

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I don’t believe anyone in the US has this working, so unless you have another reason to go to dealer, maybe wait a bit
"wait a bit" is cute! :) I plan for a 1 year wait and then I really hope, that they will not forget the 2020 models.

Nhb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks - we also also bringing it in as there some rattling in the passenger side door. Anyone elae encounter this issue?

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Nhb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag

Thanks.
Eventually, everyone comes around to the same question... I started a different thread many moons ago with the very same question... Welcome to the club!

Its unfortunate that some folks don't understand this and wonder why they completely lose Internet Connectivity on their cell phone whenever they enter their car. Others have been incorrectly blaming that on an insulated windshield when it is, in fact, that their phone is switching from 4G/5G as it auto connects to a nice tasty non-functional WiFi hotspot.

Setting your cell phone up for automatic WiFi connectivity is even a documented part of the Taycan initial setup which you are led through automatically. Porsche doesn't even bother to tell folks that they SHOULDN'T set up the WiFi connection on their phone as it will effectively kill internet access on your cell phone (for US customers anyway).

I also understand that this is worse for Android users than IOS users as some iPhone models may be able to automatically duplex data connectivity (both WiFi and 4G/5G simultaneously). I can not validate this claim one way or the other.

Delete the Taycan WiFi access point from your phone. It serves no purpose. It will only kill your Intenet access if you connect to it. At least turn off the automatic connect feature for that SSID...

lazvek

First Name
Laz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Carrera S Cabrio
Country flag
Eventually, everyone comes around to the same question... I started a different thread many moons ago with the very same question... Welcome to the club!

Its unfortunate that some folks don't understand this and wonder why they completely lose Internet Connectivity on their cell phone whenever they enter their car. Others have been incorrectly blaming that on an insulated windshield when it is, in fact, that their phone is switching from 4G/5G as it auto connects to a nice tasty non-functional WiFi hotspot.

Setting your cell phone up for automatic WiFi connectivity is even a documented part of the Taycan initial setup which you are led through automatically. Porsche doesn't even bother to tell folks that they SHOULDN'T set up the WiFi connection on their phone as it will effectively kill internet access on your cell phone (for US customers anyway).

I also understand that this is worse for Android users than IOS users as some iPhone models may be able to automatically duplex data connectivity (both WiFi and 4G/5G simultaneously). I can not validate this claim one way or the other.

Delete the Taycan WiFi access point from your phone. It serves no purpose. It will only kill your Intenet access if you connect to it. At least turn off the automatic connect feature for that SSID...
I just ordered data the plan from Verizon on my car and it does work well. It's $20 per month and it fixes a lot of things for me. Also, if you are using wireless CarPlay (on MY 2021 cars), I don't think you have the option to delete the hotspot from your phone. I could be mistaken but that is how the phone tethers to the car. At least that's how it works on all other wireless CarPlay set ups that I've used.

Laz

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag

Thanks.
Here's how I understand it (and based on another Porsche in the fleet to) for the UK:
  1. In car LTE connection provides the connectivity to the various Porsche services via the cloud e.g. Weather, some OTA (Infotainment updates etc), tracker and real time nav stuff. Porsche connect is the middleware for this. it seems you can only get the full green circle of connect magic if everything is connected to the car!
  2. You can add a Porsche data bundle (7gb pcm for £19) to provide internal to car wifi hotspot capability.
  3. You can then connect your phone to the Porsche wifi hotspot (kids do this in the Cayenne).
I am unsure if you are using Carplay or Auto in the above scenario (2/3) whether that continues to use car hotspot or phone, clearly it should be able to use car data.

I think you only need the data package if you have a crap phone data package or vodafone (yikes!) gives you better coverage for that than your own device.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

There may be a differenice between US Networks and European Networks, but I doubt it since it is the same standard.

The WiFi hotspot is not of any use as stated by others. Yes you can buy a very expensive package from Porsche to have a data package for hotspot in the car. But you can do that with your phone just as well and have much more data at a lower cost.

It might well be that the WiFi in the Taycan is used for Wireless CarPlay since that needs WiFi connection.

The only use I have found for the WiFi in my 2020 Taycan is to synchronise the calendar.!! ( apart from getting a connection between the car and the useless connect app as well, whatever that should help). My iPhoneX connects to the hotspot and completes the green circle. At the same time the WiFi in the phone recognises that the connection to WiFi has no internet connection and connects via cellular LTE from the phone. So all internet functions from the phone works for CarPlay, music and navigation etc, as well as calendar sync to Taycan. Fantastic feature??? See screenshots.

I am really hoping that the WiFi in the car will be able to connect to my home WiFi later as well as be upgraded to provide wireless CarPlay? Porsche PLEASE!

Porsche Taycan Stupid question ref WiFi hotspot 61291957-E080-4067-A8F9-8CCF12613CB5

Porsche Taycan Stupid question ref WiFi hotspot FB8C4842-CD73-4243-9CBB-600D71D645A1

Last edited: