First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Greetings TF buddies,

Content is the life of the TF so my plan is to bring you a soup to nuts, or should I say a Gulaschsuppe to Macadamia nut narrative, of my new car from factory to dealer…and beyond. While I ordered a new GTS back in March, I only received the news a couple of weeks ago, about a production slot and order number, which I can use to track progress and report out to you all.

It’s going to be a bit of a long story, since the east coast of Australia is one of the more remote global delivery locations for Porsche. I read with interest the anguish from my UK cousins about having to wait a few days for their Porsche to ship to the UK, or even worse for my US friends having to wait up to two weeks. Well for us Aussies on the east coast it is 56 days at sea, and because there aren’t quite as many vehicle carriers scheduled to come out this way, it can often be a bit of a wait on the dock in Germany beforehand. As with so many of us on the forum, so close and yet so far.

What am I ordering?

Porsche Taycan Stuttgart to Sydney...and beyond porschepicture2

You can see it’s a GTS in Dolomite Silver, RS Spyder wheels with an Olea black leather interior inside. I’ve noticed configurators vary quite a bit around the world with the package options, so rather than list the config, it includes:

• Exterior auto mirrors in car colour with black gloss base, LED courtesy lights, rear axle steering, PSCB brakes with black calipers, thermal/noise insulated glass, electric charging covers
  • 18 way sports seats, ambient lighting, seat ventilation, Burmester sound system, passenger display, all available technology options (ACC, HUD, LDW, PESS, SV), full leather interior (race-tex only on b pillars/roof liner), silver internal accents, ionizer

What were the major selection choices?
  • Model – I’m coming from a twin turbo V8 BMW, so when I test drove the base Taycan just not enough grunt. While there no was no GTS to test drive, the spec sheet, combined with the included options I wanted to have, made the GTS the model for me.
  • Colour combination – coming from BMW to Porsche for the first time, I was not enamoured with the standard Taycan colours. Paint To Sample as a $20K+ expense not worth it. I think the Taycan looks at its best in all Black with a Chalk interior, however I swore after my last black car never again with the maintenance. I like to rotate my car colours and so decided on Dolomite Silver (last silver car for me was 2008) with the black interior.
  • Wheels – originally I had spec’d the Mission e wheels in gloss black with matching calipers, however when I was out walking recently, I came across a Taycan (and owner) with gloss black Mission e’s. There were a lot of chips on all of the rims, with a light undercoat underneath and it just did not look very good. The owner said he would not get them again having had the rims re-finished. So, this took me back to the Spyder’s.
  • GTS interior spec – I like race-tex to the touch, but I don’t like it to sit in and was worried how it would wear. Additionally, I was going to pass on all of the GTS branding which was included with the spec. So back to leather, went for Olea as I liked the feel of it, and have extended the leather interior fit out with more options and silver accents.
  • Pano roof – we have such good light in Sydney all year round, as well as a warm to hot summer and I’ve never been a big user of a sunroof. The pano roof is an amazing piece of engineering, but I did not like the pre-configured settings or the fact there was no internal cover. Looking at all of the forum photos, I can see I will be in the minority here. Perhaps controversially, I also think the GTS looks better without the pano roof.
  • Sound system – the Burmester is an $8K option here and while it sounded better than the Bose, it was also the appearance with the silver speaker covers which I felt added nicely to the internal theme I was putting together.
  • Note the automatic parking feature has been removed as a feature on the GTS and is no longer available. No big deal.

What is the current status?

My car is currently scheduled to commence production on February 10th, which is 62 days away. This assumes no production delays. Originally, I had a January production slot which limited me to a Bose sound system only, however with the move to February I’ve been able to reinstate the Burmester sound system to the order, thanks to some fancy footwork from my Dealer.

Porsche Taycan Stuttgart to Sydney...and beyond porscheTYD

When will it arrive in Australia?

This required a little bit of detective work, as the Porsche website currently lists June 12th next year as the arrival date. That clearly is too far away! So, car completes production on February 17th and is released for shipping the same day. The website map shows the car departing from the port of Bremerhaven. My current BMW came from the same port on a ship operated by Wallenius Wilhelmsen, and with a quick search of their website I was able to find the following:

Porsche Taycan Stuttgart to Sydney...and beyond porscheshippin

So this shows the ‘Toronto’ departing Bremerhaven on February 23rd, with Port Kembla arrival on April 20th. Port Kembla is the location closest to Sydney with vehicle RoRo. Will my vehicle be produced in time, is 6 days enough time for it to be shipped by rail from factory to port, is it earmarked for the ‘Toronto’ or will it sit on the dock and line up with another vessel to align with the June 12th date? Who knows really, but readers I will be keeping you abreast of all changes and developments. I’d also like to point out on the Wallenius Wilhelmsen map above, that the ‘Toronto’ is not able to traverse through the middle of Australia like a hovercraft. You’d think a shipping company would use shipping maps on its website. Note the route on Porsche site, the vessel will hit Australia at the port of Fremantle on the west coast before it heads east to Port Kembla via Melbourne.

Once I have the vehicle VIN, then I will be able to confirm if my car is loaded on the ‘Toronto’ and track it all the way to Port Kembla on the Wallenius Wilhelmsen site and some shipping tracking software.

That’s it for now. Stay tuned.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Cool thread @OzzieT. As an expat Aussie myself (Warriewood/Mona Vale northern beaches born and bred), I’m going to be reading with interest. 👍

OP
OP
OzzieT

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
The latest news, is my production start date has moved out by one day, and is now due to commence February 11 and complete February 18. This will leave only 5 days for my car to make the ’Toronto’. Not exactly anxiety inducing, but a 680km train journey from factory to port may be a bit of a challenge.

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Welcome and enjoy the wait. My 23 GTS just arrived at my dealer and ill be going to pick it up next week after an almost 9 month wait.

OP
OP
OzzieT

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
The latest developments are my freeze date is now 11 January and production commencement 10 February - both have come forward by a day! That's the good news.

On a slightly disappointing note, assuming my forecast/assumptions on shipping are correct, the departure date of the 'Toronto' has move to right by 10 days. But this will provide more time for an assumed production finish date of 17 February for my GTS to make the trip to Bremerhaven in time to make the 'Toronto'.

Porsche Taycan Stuttgart to Sydney...and beyond PorscheTorontoSailDate

OP
OP
OzzieT

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
We have now reached changed freeze point. Locked and loaded.

Porsche Taycan Stuttgart to Sydney...and beyond TaycanFreezePoint

Manyana

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
, 718 Spyder, Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
Now you are in for the most painful waiting period😩
Hang in there, once you have the car and are blasting through the hills you will forget all about the wait👌

OP
OP
OzzieT

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Now you are in for the most painful waiting period😩
Hang in there, once you have the car and are blasting through the hills you will forget all about the wait👌
Thanks mate. Can't wait to replicate your recent east coast trip.

OP
OP
OzzieT

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
In further developments, there appear to be two other shipping options, in addition to the 'Toronto' departing Bremerhaven on 4 April and arriving Port Kembla 29 April. They are:

Porsche Taycan Stuttgart to Sydney...and beyond TaycanHoeghShippin

Both options provide an earlier arrival date, but here's hoping it's the 'Berlin'. On a more trivial note, my current Bmer arrived on the 'Trapper' June 2019.

OP
OP
OzzieT

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My production date has just moved out a week from February 10 to February 17. Given the shipping options this is likely to have a significant flow on impact to my hoped for April arrival at Port Kembla. Very frustrating and disappointing.

Porsche Taycan Stuttgart to Sydney...and beyond 7C4992E4-6303-44C9-8A81-2D5C9965DD1B

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
My production date has just moved out a week from February 10 to February 17. Given the shipping options this is likely to have a significant flow on impact to my hoped for April arrival at Port Kembla. Very frustrating and disappointing.

7C4992E4-6303-44C9-8A81-2D5C9965DD1B.jpeg
Not trying to depress you, just trying to set your expectations. I never changed a single option since allocation. My car reached a freeze point 3 times, then unfroze 3 times. The 4th time finally took. Production also moved a few times, but once it actually moved sooner. My original delivery date was mid December 2022. I still don't have the car, I'm in the USA, and I agreed to take delivery on the opposite coast, then drive it 5,000km in order to take delivery sooner. The silver lining it that the car shows as produced, and it's on its way, however it may be missing parts which will get it stuck at the port of entry until parts arrive and can be retrofitted.

Perhaps your Porsche original estimate was not overly optimistic? I would assume delivery around the time of the original estimate, hope for earlier, but be ready for later. Welcome to the post COVID-19 world. I hope it will be worth the wait - I'll let you know once I get mine. I put my first deposit down in June 2021, so I have been learning the virtue that is patience.

OP
OP
OzzieT

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
We have some movement - I now have a VIN. This appeared in the app just in the last week.

Production start date moved from 17 February to 11 February, which is what it is still showing. However production has not commenced. Surely getting to the top of the queue!

@whitex - on the money.

OP
OP
OzzieT

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
And then a miracle happened....we are into production!

Porsche Taycan Stuttgart to Sydney...and beyond TaycanProdStart
Sponsored