Sudden loss of acceleration

obxckw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’m driving on a local highway between 75-80mph when all of a sudden, I lose acceleration. It felt like the car just became sluggish and was quickly slowing down. Funny thing is that the interior/exterior electronics stayed on so it appears to be the acceleration that was affected. I attempted to hit the ‘gas’ pedal a few times to no avail- it just wouldn’t respond. After about 1-2 minutes of panic and plans to drift to the side of the highway, it suddenly came back to life and was normal again. The acceleration was back to normal and punchy like it should be.

I’ve read about previous recalls but this is a Taycan Turbo MY22– about a month old.

Has anyone experienced something like this?
Sponsored

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
How was your battery temperature at the time?

I had this happen once (and only once) on a hot day, under hard driving, after parking on hot cement for an hour with the A/C running. It recovered as soon as the battery cooled off.

OP
OP
obxckw

obxckw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
How was your battery temperature at the time?

I had this happen once (and only once) on a hot day, under hard driving, after parking on hot cement for an hour with the A/C running. It recovered as soon as the battery cooled off.
It was normal… 80-90 deg battery temp I think. Outside was nice, low 80’s at night.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I had a strange stuttering or pulsating with minimal acceleration once. I stopped in a parking lot and turned the car off and back on. Everything was normal after that and the problem has not resurfaced but it would suck for that to happen at the wrong time.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
1-2 minutes of panic or seconds? If the latter, did you get a red warning in the left side dial that told you to put hands on the wheel?

OP
OP
obxckw

obxckw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
1-2 minutes of panic or seconds? If the latter, did you get a red warning in the left side dial that told you to put hands on the wheel?
Looking back, it was likely 20-30 secs- everything just started to slow. No other warnings that I could see- wasn’t using cruise but am wondering if I somehow turned on Innodrive and maybe it tried to slow me to the speed limit. So odd.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’m driving on a local highway between 75-80mph when all of a sudden, I lose acceleration. It felt like the car just became sluggish and was quickly slowing down. Funny thing is that the interior/exterior electronics stayed on so it appears to be the acceleration that was affected. I attempted to hit the ‘gas’ pedal a few times to no avail- it just wouldn’t respond. After about 1-2 minutes of panic and plans to drift to the side of the highway, it suddenly came back to life and was normal again. The acceleration was back to normal and punchy like it should be.

I’ve read about previous recalls but this is a Taycan Turbo MY22– about a month old.

Was ACC, ID or Cruise with speed limits active? I had a one time experience with this and it was due to the active speed limit wrongly identifying a 40 mph zone as 30mph.

I've since never used it and have noticed on many occasions the wrong speed limit being indicated. This leads to rapid deceleration just when you least expect it.

Mapping data and signage (incorrect data or temporary speeds due to road works for example) are the general culprits rather than a fault with the car.

Cv009900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Been there before, dealer claimed battery over heated.

to this day they had no idea why. It was a 50 degree cloudy day car was off all night.

OP
OP
obxckw

obxckw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What speed limit do you have set in range mode?
Was ACC, ID or Cruise with speed limits active? I had a one time experience with this and it was due to the active speed limit wrongly identifying a 40 mph zone as 30mph.

I've since never used it and have noticed on many occasions the wrong speed limit being indicated. This leads to rapid deceleration just when you least expect it.

Mapping data and signage (incorrect data or temporary speeds due to road works for example) are the general culprits rather than a fault with the car.

I think this might be the issue. I was traveling about 80ish in a 70mph zone. I might have tried to set cruise but can't be certain and if I understand Innodrive correctly, perhaps I did have it set and if so, perhaps it saw a 70mph sign and hence may may have automatically taken over and adjusted the speed downwards. That's the only explanation I can think of.

I need to do some proactive testing and see if that's the case.

Thanks all !

Deleted member 6348

I think this might be the issue. I was traveling about 80ish in a 70mph zone. I might have tried to set cruise but can't be certain and if I understand Innodrive correctly, perhaps I did have it set and if so, perhaps it saw a 70mph sign and hence may may have automatically taken over and adjusted the speed downwards. That's the only explanation I can think of.

I need to do some proactive testing and see if that's the case.

Thanks all !
When you're in Range mode, the pedal will seem like it isn't doing anything as you approach that set speed. If you floor it all the way, the speed limitation will become temporarily disabled until your speed drops below that Range mode max speed. I take advantage of that behavior all the time, because it's wonderful for passing.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I don’t really use cruise control often, but I can’t think of a time where any cruise control I’ve ever used affected use of the accelerator pedal. Does innodrive disable the accelerator pedal?
Sponsored