First Name
B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Southeast folks (excluding Florida peeps),

Are you guys running summer performance tires or all seasons on your DD Taycans?

I live in North GA and, while I work from home, my drives will normally be to Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville and ATL.

I've ordered summer tires for my aftermarket 21" wheels and hope I don't have any issues in the winter time in these areas. Worse case I can drive my truck but I'd rather not.

What are the rest of y'all using?
Sponsored

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Southeast folks (excluding Florida peeps),

Are you guys running summer performance tires or all seasons on your DD Taycans?

I live in North GA and, while I work from home, my drives will normally be to Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville and ATL.

I've ordered summer tires for my aftermarket 21" wheels and hope I don't have any issues in the winter time in these areas. Worse case I can drive my truck but I'd rather not.

What are the rest of y'all using?
In Atlanta. All season tires. Our Taycan won't be driven in snow and will never be tracked. Based on my previous Porsche experience, all season tires will have longer life than the performance tires. Have 6K miles and the tread wear seems minimal so far. Time will tell.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You're going to lose a lot of performance using all season tires, it's night & day. If you speccd every single performance option on a Taycan it'd make less difference than using quality summer tires over all seasons.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I am not in south east but I have had high power cars with both summer performance (not the extreme ones just the "normal" ones) and high performance all seasons. I am going to go out on a limb and say the difference is NOT that great to make it worth it for a daily driver. First summer tires really have problem with traction below 55 or so, and that an issue if you have high power. Also summer tires patterns are not as good in handling standing water, even there is never any snow.

Where I am I switch between high performance summer and winter tires for some, but for others (including the TTS) I had high performance all seasons. It was just more convenient specially if this is your main driver. Some of my cars I can not take out based on temperature and rainfall.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The single most important element of your car is the tires. This is one of the first things you learn in racing. It's also true of any car. Bad tires will ruin everything.

Why skimp and get sub-par tires for most of your driving? I had my first Panamera GTS delivered with conti's and I thought it was great. When I switched to the Michelins it was like I was driving a different car - it went from great to fantastic. Get the Summer tires and if you're worried about the cold and a bit of snow, then get the all-seasons on a separate set of rims to make the swap out easy. This car is way too good and expensive to compromise on tires.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I am not in south east but I have had high power cars with both summer performance (not the extreme ones just the "normal" ones) and high performance all seasons. I am going to go out on a limb and say the difference is NOT that great to make it worth it for a daily driver. First summer tires really have problem with traction below 55 or so, and that an issue if you have high power. Also summer tires patterns are not as good in handling standing water, even there is never any snow.

Where I am I switch between high performance summer and winter tires for some, but for others (including the TTS) I had high performance all seasons. It was just more convenient specially if this is your main driver. Some of my cars I can not take out based on temperature and rainfall.
Sorry, but I have to take issue with a number of points here. Summer tires do not have traction problems until you go below 40 deg or so, but you are absolutely right that you need to be very careful if you're driving with summer tires in cold weather, snow or not. If it's cold I just monitor the tire pressure and wait until it's up a few psi and certainly don't push it hard until the tire is warm. I've had enough bad experiences pushing cold tires that I think I've finally learned (hopefully).:oops: Here's a good piece on when you shouldn't drive on summers:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273

Check out the hundreds of road tests on summer, winter and all-season tires. In all cases the best summer tires outperform the best all-season in dry and wet conditions. In warm weather, wet or dry, your braking distance will be significantly shorter, you will corner better and accelerate faster with Summer tires. There could be that one time when you're really glad you've got that shorter braking distance.

If you don't see much snow, then I'd recommend all-seasons for the cold weather, but if you'll drive through more than an inch or so of snow relatively often, definitely get the winters.

Last edited:

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I’d really like to see any of these people who say don’t buy all season tires try better all season tires. The C8 Corvette is pulling or close to pulling 1g on the skid pad with all season tires.

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Panamera 4S EH, 2022 Cayenne
Country flag
I'm still waiting on my Taycan 4S and ordered All-Seasons. I live in Charlotte. While I don't have a reference point to the Taycan, I've had a good experience with Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus tires on my performance sedans. The Pilot Sport AS are a good balance of All-Season and Performance. While they are not true High-Performance tires, they perform well under aggressive driving, unless you planning to go to a track. I like the comfort of knowing that I can drive in winter weather if I choose to.

Gt1485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M5
Country flag
I'm still waiting on my Taycan 4S and ordered All-Seasons. I live in Charlotte. While I don't have a reference point to the Taycan, I've had a good experience with Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus tires on my performance sedans. The Pilot Sport AS are a good balance of All-Season and Performance. While they are not true High-Performance tires, they perform well under aggressive driving, unless you planning to go to a track. I like the comfort of knowing that I can drive in winter weather if I choose to.
I am debating this decision as well. Do we know what type of tires come with the 21" all seasons?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
my all seasons got a lot more range

factory delivery w/Contenental all seasons = 260-270 miles range
goodyear F1 Eagles (porsche spec installed by dealer) = 215-225 miles range

honestly for street driving I can’t tell the difference between the two

I’m switching back to the all seasons when these wear out cause I value the range more than the incremental grip (which is un-noticable in stop&go traffic but still takes the range hit)

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Panamera 4S EH, 2022 Cayenne
Country flag
I am debating this decision as well. Do we know what type of tires come with the 21" all seasons?
I don't know. I have 20"s. My preference is Michelin, but the Conti's aren't too bad. I will change to the Michelins if I don't like the handling. I've also read that the Mich Pilot Sport AS may not handle the weight of the car. So, I guess, I will see when I get the car...hopefully next month.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
my all seasons got a lot more range

factory delivery w/Contenental all seasons = 260-270 miles range
goodyear F1 Eagles (porsche spec installed by dealer) = 215-225 miles range

honestly for street driving I can’t tell the difference between the two

I’m switching back to the all seasons when these wear out cause I value the range more than the incremental grip (which is un-noticable in stop&go traffic but still takes the range hit)
F1 Eagle Summers? Gross. Shoulda put on Pilot Sport 4s.

My Pilot Sport 4 summers get 260-280 miles of 70-85 mph Hwy driving. There is no reason to believe that switching from equal quality Summers to AS increases range.

Also they have excellent traction in the sub 50 degree wet driving I've done, no issues whatsoever.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
F1 Eagle Summers? Gross. Shoulda put on Pilot Sport 4s.

My Pilot Sport 4 summers get 260-280 miles of 70-85 mph Hwy driving. There is no reason to believe that switching from equal quality Summers to AS increases range.

Also they have excellent traction in the sub 50 degree wet driving I've done, no issues whatsoever.
Goodyears were all that was available in July when I had to swap - I would've preferred the Michellins…supply chain problems mean you can't always get what you want.

OP
OP
chenner

chenner

First Name
B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Goodyears were all that was available in July when I had to swap - I would've preferred the Michellins…supply chain problems mean you can't always get what you want.
It looks like the Michelin PS's aren't available in 21" anymore. At least according to Tire Rack.

I've ordered the new Goodyear F1's asymetric 5's to go on my aftermarket wheels (when they get here). Hopefully, I won't get the range loss that you experienced.

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
Had them on my 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback and were great tires but the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s' were better also...those were my daily aftermarket tires/rims!
Sponsored