flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My incoming Turbo has Mission E wheels, but with M&S tires. I would think a car with amazing performance like the Taycan really needs summer (performance) tires. So I’m thinking about buying another set of Mission E wheels, but with summer tires. I’d appreciate thoughts from those who are operating a Taycan with M&S tires this time of year. Are they adequate, or do you wish you had a set of summer tires on the vehicle? A new set of shoes isn’t cheap, but then the car isn't a Yugo either. Thanks
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
One of the things I'm most upset about is not being able to option summer tires on the 21" wheels. I don't understand shipping a Porsche with crappy no-season tires.

Tires aren't going to be cheap, and the car is so heavy they'll probably be a yearly replacement item. :p

OP
OP
flickroll

flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
One of the things I'm most upset about is not being able to option summer tires on the 21" wheels. I don't understand shipping a Porsche with crappy no-season tires.

Tires aren't going to be cheap, and the car is so heavy they'll probably be a yearly replacement item. :p
I agree with what you said. There should have been an option to select M&S or Summer tires. So, I’ll get another set of wheels and tires and swap in the spring and fall. I don’t think M&S are going to work well for spirited driving in the summer. If I had M&S on my 991.2 GTS, in all likelihood it would have wound up in a ditch.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
My incoming Turbo has Mission E wheels, but with M&S tires. I would think a car with amazing performance like the Taycan really needs summer (performance) tires. So I’m thinking about buying another set of Mission E wheels, but with summer tires. I’d appreciate thoughts from those who are operating a Taycan with M&S tires this time of year. Are they adequate, or do you wish you had a set of summer tires on the vehicle? A new set of shoes isn’t cheap, but then the car isn't a Yugo either. Thanks
I am surprised that the cars in the US seem to be delivered with M+S tyres! I have the mission E wheels and my tyres are Good Year F1 Eagle I think. Absolutely summer tyres! I had wanted to have Michelin PS4S tyres but they do not seem to be available and approved for the Taycan as yet.

I can not imagine you will get the full experience of the car with M+S tyres and they may even be speed limited?
Strange that there is such a difference?

MTM2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo, '19 Cayenne Turbo
Country flag
The Turbo S can be optioned without AST, but not the Turbo for some reason. Maybe possible supply issue.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Maybe they EPA tested the S with the summer tires, and the Turbo with A/S? Dunno, whatever the reason it sucks.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag

I can pull a full 1.0 G in Snow Tires. The All-Seasons are better.

But yes, when my All Seasons wear out, I’ll be going Full Summer on one set and Full Winter on the other set of wheels. Or maybe R Compounds & Snows. If the track days ever start up again.

As for my taste, I bought different wheels for winter vs summer, because I like having a variable look.

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Agree on all accounts. Not looking forward to the A/S tires on my 21s.

21" summer tire options that I have found to be available in OEM sizing:
Goodyear Eagle F1 (NFO Porsche)
Pirelli P-Zero (NFO Porsche)
Michelin PS4S - not Porsche OEM, but with the correct load/speed ratings of 104Y and 101Y.

And FYI, there are 21" winters available, if you so desire. Pirelli Sottozero Serie II.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The Turbo S can be optioned without AST, but not the Turbo for some reason. Maybe possible supply issue.
Yes, I've ordered the 21" summer tires (probably Goodyear eagle f1) on the mission E wheels with matching white, and I've got the winter tires on the Tequipment Design high gloss black 20" wheels.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am personally getting the 20" Aero Wheels but I saw so many comments about not being able to spec Summer for 21" wheels and I see in the latest "Good to Know" app for USA which is Nov 2019 it shows only All Season tires available the 21" wheels as well. Looking at TireRack.com I did find these for those that already got all season but looking for summer.

Porsche Taycan Summer Tires Screenshot_20200709-234438

Disclosure: I have no personal interest in Pirelli and am not recommending this tire.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Another interesting thing I saw on the good to know app is that you can put larger tires on the 20 inch wheels.

I was only aware of the 245&285 combo, but you can also mount ZR rated:
FA: 255/40 ZR 20 (103Y) XL
RA: 295/35 ZR 20 (108Y) XL
Image from Good to Know:
Porsche Taycan Summer Tires Screenshot_20200710-000124

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
A fair number of us in the U.S. got Continental ProContact RX on the 21s.
Before winter I will get Soto's on a dedicated set of rims.
Really no substitute for good performance 'snows' in the winter......A/S's are a compromise that's not ideal for either IMHO.
Sponsored