Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Done this modification to nearly all of my Porsches.

I bought a Volvo charcoal holder online, removed my grab handle & after a bit of head scratching as to how to fit it into the holes left over, it’s done.
I think it looks pretty good and every inch OEM.

It’s sprung & cushioned but does stay open (& closed) depending on how you are using it.

If anyone wants any pointers let me know. However you are pulling trim apart & you will need to destroy your existing grab handle as you will need to drill out the pins that holds the fasteners in place. This will free the spring too so you need to understand how it all goes back together.

Proceed at your own risk.

Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle 65F7BB96-2050-44B5-ADE1-29449C015164

Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle 0336CCE6-C982-4D9D-AAEE-C0E0DEA8E223

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
That is awesome!

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
I wonder why Porsche couldn’t make a sunglass holder over the mirror area, like the one I had in my MB S-class. It was very convenient, and I do miss that little box. Now in my Taycan I must store my glasses in the department behind the lower screen. That’s okay too, but still . . .

Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle 1620331277217

Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle 1620331971690

Last edited:

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
I was inspired by Smithy37's modification and decided to do the grab handle and Sunglasses holder swap in my Taycan 4 CT. At first I did not understand why the OP had to destroy the Taycan grab handle for this project since I was able to remove the handle without it being damaged. Once I acquired the Volvo case I realized that the Volvo design of the spring loaded hinges was not interchangeable with the hinge design on the Taycan grab handle. The reason that the grab handle was destroyed is that the OP removed the hinges and reinstalled them on the Volvo case.

Unfortunately, the Volvo case was not wide enough or deep enough for my wife's oversized prescription Sunglasses. I ordered an aftermarket Sunglass holder for a Lexus on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SQJD368?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

The Volvo case is a higher quality product compared to the Chinese made Lexus case. The sheen on the Volvo case matches the Taycan interior better than the more shiny Lexus case. The Chinese case also had a barely noticeable scratch in it that bothers me. However, the hinge design on the Lexus case is similar to the Taycan grab handle hinge and allows the case to be installed without any modifications. Removing the grab handle and installing the Lexus case is about a 15-minute job.

If I can persuade my wife to get a smaller pair of Sunglasses, I will remove the lower quality case, transfer the hinges from this case to the Volvo case, and install the Volvo case. Anyone considering the Volvo case should also get one of the inexpensive cases for a Lexus or Honda to harvest a pair of Taycan compatible hinges for use with the Volvo case. This approach eliminates the need to destroy the Taycan grab handle to get a set of useable hinges.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was inspired by Smithy37's modification and decided to do the grab handle and Sunglasses holder swap in my Taycan 4 CT. At first I did not understand why the OP had to destroy the Taycan grab handle for this project since I was able to remove the handle without it being damaged. Once I acquired the Volvo case I realized that the Volvo design of the spring loaded hinges was not interchangeable with the hinge design on the Taycan grab handle. The reason that the grab handle was destroyed is that the OP removed the hinges and reinstalled them on the Volvo case.

Unfortunately, the Volvo case was not wide enough or deep enough for my wife's oversized prescription Sunglasses. I ordered an aftermarket Sunglass holder for a Lexus on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SQJD368?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

The Volvo case is a higher quality product compared to the Chinese made Lexus case. The sheen on the Volvo case matches the Taycan interior better than the more shiny Lexus case. The Chinese case also had a barely noticeable scratch in it that bothers me. However, the hinge design on the Lexus case is similar to the Taycan grab handle hinge and allows the case to be installed without any modifications. Removing the grab handle and installing the Lexus case is about a 15-minute job.

If I can persuade my wife to get a smaller pair of Sunglasses, I will remove the lower quality case, transfer the hinges from this case to the Volvo case, and install the Volvo case. Anyone considering the Volvo case should also get one of the inexpensive cases for a Lexus or Honda to harvest a pair of Taycan compatible hinges for use with the Volvo case. This approach eliminates the need to destroy the Taycan grab handle to get a set of useable hinges.
Thanks for sharing, what is, a very constructive addition to this post.

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
I understood taycan have the storage space under the central screen if you optioned it. Why not put sunglass there? I ask because I want to know if any problem to do that. My car will arrive in 2 weeks. I'm considering the sunglass holder problem as well.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I understood taycan have the storage space under the central screen if you optioned it. Why not put sunglass there? I ask because I want to know if any problem to do that. My car will arrive in 2 weeks. I'm considering the sunglass holder problem as well.
Purely a matter of choice.

If you put them in the centre console I assume you’ll leave them in the case?

Our option is a case strapped to the ceiling.
Something I’ve had on other cars and I consider to be a brilliantly simple idea.
For me it was worth the hassle of hybridising the handle and the case.

The latest reply to this means you can just buy a plug and play version, although a little bit of trim knowledge will still be required to remove the fasteners.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In general, none of the storage space in the Taycan passenger cabin is very user friendly.
1) The tray in front of the center console is difficult to reach. Picking out a single item from this space is difficult unless you only store one item in the tray. A pair of Sunglasses in a separate case will work if you don't mind the additional step of wrestling with the case when you are driving.
2) It is difficult (if not impossible) to see what is stored in the glove compartment while sitting in the passenger seat. Just finding the printed manual in the upper tray of the glove compartment is like being on a treasure hunt.
3) The console compartment behind the cup holders does not stay fully open by itself. You really need three hands to access anything in this compartment. Not to mention the capacity of this compartment is much smaller than any other luxury car I have owned.
4) The small storage tray on the floor in front of the rear seats is not particularly easy to reach unless you like driving with one arm behind your back. I am hoping to find a small container that fits into this rear floor tray so that anything in it does not end up rolling around on the floor.

The small Sunglasses holder installed in place of the grab handle turns out to be one of the most useable storage areas in the cabin. Unfortunately it cannot handle more than a pair of glasses. I installed the case on the passenger side since my navigator was lamenting the lack of space to store her Sunglasses.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
That is what I do, and it works great - no sliding around and they're right there when you need them. But I love this idea if you don't have the storage option or prefer to use the area for something else. Brilliant!

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
That is what I do, and it works great - no sliding around and they're right there when you need them. But I love this idea if you don't have the storage option or prefer to use the area for something else. Brilliant!
Thanks for the feedback, appreciated. There is such sunglass box for handler replacement available in China which is tailor made specially for taycan. But probably I will still put in the storage space, because I don't like non-porsche parts installed. I think I'm sick to original:)

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
In general, none of the storage space in the Taycan passenger cabin is very user friendly.
1) The tray in front of the center console is difficult to reach. Picking out a single item from this space is difficult unless you only store one item in the tray. A pair of Sunglasses in a separate case will work if you don't mind the additional step of wrestling with the case when you are driving.
2) It is difficult (if not impossible) to see what is stored in the glove compartment while sitting in the passenger seat. Just finding the printed manual in the upper tray of the glove compartment is like being on a treasure hunt.
3) The console compartment behind the cup holders does not stay fully open by itself. You really need three hands to access anything in this compartment. Not to mention the capacity of this compartment is much smaller than any other luxury car I have owned.
4) The small storage tray on the floor in front of the rear seats is not particularly easy to reach unless you like driving with one arm behind your back. I am hoping to find a small container that fits into this rear floor tray so that anything in it does not end up rolling around on the floor.

The small Sunglasses holder installed in place of the grab handle turns out to be one of the most useable storage areas in the cabin. Unfortunately it cannot handle more than a pair of glasses. I installed the case on the passenger side since my navigator was lamenting the lack of space to store her Sunglasses.
Thanks a lot! This is very comprehensive and details, would help me a lot to understand those places.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I curious about the rationale behind eliminating the passenger side grab handle. It seems equally important as a sunglass holder unless you never have passengers.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I curious about the rationale behind eliminating the passenger side grab handle. It seems equally important as a sunglass holder unless you never have passengers.
Actually, I think one can argue that the grab handle is more important than the Sunglass case. However, the grab bar location on this relatively low car is not particularly easy to use as an aid for entering or exiting the car. My wife tends to use the handle on the door armrest to help enter or exit the car. She did not find the ceiling mounted handle convenient and prefers having the Sunglass case. I suspect some passengers will miss having the grab bar if the driver is making violent high speed maneuvers. For back seat passengers, I think a B-Pillar mounted grab handle would be more convenient to use. As I recall I have had some vehicles with an A-Pillar mounted handle that was easy to use.

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
+1
I also just put them in the storage space under the center screen. No case so they are easy to grab and no sliding around due to the grippy surface material of the storage area. It’s the only thing I keep down there so it’s not an issue to fish for it while driving. I agree this retrofit is a better alternative but there is no way I have the courage to attempt something like that… kudos to you all that can do this!
Sponsored