Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
+1
I also just put them in the storage space under the center screen. No case so they are easy to grab and no sliding around due to the grippy surface material of the storage area. It’s the only thing I keep down there so it’s not an issue to fish for it while driving. I agree this retrofit is a better alternative but there is no way I have the courage to attempt something like that… kudos to you all that can do this!
I initially stored mine here too, but I've since changed to storing it in the driver's side door compartment along with a couple other misc items. It became too annoying contorm my arm to reach into the storage area every time I wanted to get/put away my sunglasses.
Sponsored

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
+1
I also just put them in the storage space under the center screen. No case so they are easy to grab and no sliding around due to the grippy surface material of the storage area. It’s the only thing I keep down there so it’s not an issue to fish for it while driving. I agree this retrofit is a better alternative but there is no way I have the courage to attempt something like that… kudos to you all that can do this!
No courage necessary. All that is needed are two small screw drivers to release the metal clip (on each hinge) concealed behind the decorative plastic "plug" on the grab handle hinge. If you get one of the Sunglass holders made for Japanese cars it's a simple pop-in installation. Only the Volvo case with its weird hinge design requires extra imagination to adapt to the Taycan grab handle mounting locations.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I curious about the rationale behind eliminating the passenger side grab handle. It seems equally important as a sunglass holder unless you never have passengers.
Its the drivers side you put it in. By the same rationale why would the driver need a grab handle?

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Good thread - I miss a built-in sunglasses holder, too. So, I use two clip-on holders in my Taycan. The first one is only for my clip-on sunglasses, and I put it on the passenger visor. Only one hand is needed to take them out, clip them on, take them off, and put them back:
Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle 1655656640494

The second holder, which clips on to the driver's door, is for small essentials like an eyeglass cleaning cloth (to wipe off raindrops), a comb, a pencil, and a mini LED flashlight because it's challenging to take these out from the armrest storage bin. I put a self-opening/closing umbrella in the door storage space, BTW - you can see its silver handle in the photo.
Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle 1655656666210

I don't stow anything magnetically vulnerable in either of these clip-on holders.

The storage space under the center console is for my foldable hiking hat, which I wear when I'm recharging my RWD at a public charging station on those dependably sunny Arizona days.

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Installed this today. Got the Audi version from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T1ZTCMR

Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle Holder

Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle handle closed

It didn't require any modification to the grab handle or hinge. Simply remove the tab with the included angled tool, press down on the metal clip inside and the whole grab handle comes off. It's pretty shallow so won't fit bulky sunglasses.

Didn't see pictures of the installation so hopefully these pictures will help some of you.

Remove tabs with the included angled tool. Just insert it from the top slot all the way down. With a gentle tug and it will come off.

Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle handle2

Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle handle3

Use the same tool and push down on the metal clip inside to release the clip's teeth from the opening. Do it to both sides and with a firm pull, the handle will come off.
Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle handle tab push down

Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle handle cli

Pre-insert the included screw into each metal tab onto the sunglasses holder. This screw will expand the metal clip inside the hole and holds it in place.
Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle handle4

Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle handle5

Tighten the two screws, put the included tab covers and you're done!
Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle handle6

Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle handle complete

Porsche Taycan Sunglasses holder in place of grab handle handle use

Now I can use the center storage for other things.

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag

Holder.gif

handle closed.jpg

It didn't require any modification to the grab handle or hinge. Simply remove the tab with the included angled tool, press down on the metal clip inside and the whole grab handle comes off. It's pretty shallow so won't fit bulky sunglasses.

Didn't see pictures of the installation so hopefully these pictures will help some of you.

Remove tabs with the included angled tool. Just insert it from the top slot all the way down. With a gentle tug and it will come off.

handle2.jpg

handle3.jpg

Use the same tool and push down on the metal clip inside to release the clip's teeth from the opening. Do it to both sides and with a firm pull, the handle will come off.
handle tab push down.jpg

handle clip.jpg

Pre-insert the included screw into each metal tab onto the sunglasses holder. This screw will expand the metal clip inside the hole and holds it in place.
handle4.jpg

handle5.jpg

handle6.jpg

handle complete.jpg

handle use.jpg

Excellent description - thx for sharing - I'd actually consider this version however I wear GatorZ Raptor sunglasses and their design doesn't really lie flat as would be needed to use this case - but TBH, I simply store mine (and only rarely at that*) in the OEM case in the driver's side narrow storage compartment and never hear a squeak out of them there i.e. no annoying movement when driving, so just fine for me for now.

* in Houston they are semi-permanently either on my head or face forward, as basically can't go anywhere w/o them imo :)!

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag

Holder.gif

handle closed.jpg

handle2.jpg

handle3.jpg

handle tab push down.jpg

handle clip.jpg

handle4.jpg

handle5.jpg

handle6.jpg

handle complete.jpg

handle use.jpg

I know you said it's pretty shallow, any idea what the depth is? My sunglasses are fairly "thick" when folded up, I'm curious if they'd even fit in this thing.

Also, any idea if this operation is reversible if/when it comes time to sell/trade in?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Also, any idea if this operation is reversible if/when it comes time to sell/trade in?
I have a different version that installs the same way. This is easy to reverse. It’s completely non-destructive to the original parts.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I know you said it's pretty shallow, any idea what the depth is? My sunglasses are fairly "thick" when folded up, I'm curious if they'd even fit in this thing.

Based on his install pics this is 100% reversible.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I’d like to thank tomato for refreshing this thread.

I’ve just picked up my new sport turismo and the thought of having to hack the door handle to pieces to get at the spring and pin mechanism again wasn’t something I was relishing.
Then along came tomato with his pictorial reply and, importantly, a link to purchasing the part.

A much easier way of achieving the same result and 15 minutes later I have it installed.

This is what this forum is for. Help advice and further suggestions.

You all rock.

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
I installed one as well. It just about fits my LV sunglasses. Not 100% ideal but sure beats using the cup holder to say nothing of that useless space under my right arm. Come to think of it, the useless space above the passenger knees would be of no help either, barely holds the reg and ins cards.

Love the car, truly but I hold disdain for the lack of space for anything.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I installed a stick on sunglass holder from Amazon in the storage area behind the central screen. I didn't select the storage option on my car. It also hold loose change effectively.
Sponsored