gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
A parky 5*c battery in South East London.
RWD 93kw battery

At 22% so unable to pre heat

A 15 min 60mph drive increased battery to 6% so a waste of time.

Porsche 350kw supercharger.

Charging rate at battery temperature

5*c 47kw.
26*c 95kw
32*c 150kw
35*c 66% charge decreases 103kw
39*c 80% charge 100kw

15% to 80% 44 mins from a cold battery standing start.

Conclusion: Don’t let charge fall below the pre heat disabling level 25%. Don’t bother driving to warm the battery up. Will take a long time better spent charging at the initial 47kw. Though you will spend half the time well below 100kw as the battery reaches optimal temp. Also it appears to throttle the charge to 100kw from c.65%.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
A parky 5*c battery in South East London.
RWD 93kw battery

At 22% so unable to pre heat

Charging rate at battery temperature

5*c 47kw.
26*c 95kw
32*c 150kw
35*c 66% charge decreases 103kw
39*c 80% charge 100kw

15% to 80% 44 mins from a cold battery standing start.

Conclusion: Don’t let charge fall below the pre heat disabling level 25%. Don’t bother driving to warm the battery up. Will take a long time better spent charging at the initial 47kw. Though you will spend half the time well below 100kw as the battery reaches optimal temp. Also it appears to throttle the charge to 100kw from c.65%.
Interesting but I guess not unexpected.

I didn't realise that preheat (or rather pre-conditioning) of the battery has a threshold (not mentioned in the PGTK App). To be clear do you mean the timer / or manual pre-heat function isn't available at < 25%?

Porsche Taycan Super Charging observations with a cold battery 20220119_092031000_iOS (2)

If you are a regular DC charger then the recommendation is to not use more than 50kW which I appreciate sounds quite limiting (why have a 270kW capable charging option?).

OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. The App timer preheat feature stopped below 25%. Might be a bit higher. I tried a manual preheat on the console at 22% and the “Can not preheat at low battery” error appeared.

As for charging it’s a lease so I am just going to blast the battery with 350kw chargers since it’s not my car. I’ll give it back with a trashed battery in 4 years.

Not complaining. Love the car to bits. Only 3 weeks old. Just learning more about the charging process. I don’t have a home charger but I do have a Porsche dealer 5 mins away with a 2 350kw chargers.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes. The App timer preheat feature stopped below 25%. Might be a bit higher. I tried a manual preheat on the console at 22% and the “Can not preheat at low battery” error appeared.

As for charging it’s a lease so I am just going to blast the battery with 350kw chargers since it’s not my car. I’ll give it back with a trashed battery in 4 years.

Not complaining. Love the car to bits. Only 3 weeks old. Just learning more about the charging process. I don’t have a home charger but I do have a Porsche dealer 5 mins away with a 2 350kw chargers.
Ok so that's what I thought - that's not really the way to pre-condition the battery for charging but typically the basic go to option for doing so. This method is more about preheating or cooling the cabin but as it uses (or can use) the battery to perform this work it naturally warms up a bit but nowhere near enough in the 1 hour max you have to achieve it.

If you add your 350kW charger into your Nav (and it recognises it as a charging location) then the car will automatically pre-condition the battery - this will derive better charging speed results as I would expect the battery to be both warmer and ready to be charged.

dutchcourage

First Name
Duco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
That makes me sad, even if it is not your property, you should still take good care of it as if it is yours . :crying:

OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That makes me sad, even if it is not your property, you should still take good care of it as if it is yours . :crying:
Needs must. 50% of UK homes have no off road parking. Therefore since I have to drive to a charger it makes sense to use the fastest. A 50kw charger on the Shell forecourts if not being hogged by a Taxi EV takes 90mins+. Life is too short.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
As with my old Tesla's a bit of spirited driving and braking heats the battery up fairly quickly (sports plus mode), just dawdling along for an hour or so on a motorway doesn't seem to lift temps much which seems to be the case for most EV's.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

If you had that charger as a destination in the Navigation of the car, it would heat up the battery a bit more than just 1 %. But 15 minutes drive would still be too short a time to preheat it properly. Think about it, you are trying to heat up a mass of some 700 kg. That will take a few kWh to do, so perhaps a 30 to 45 minute drive would have it at a good temperature?

Try it, it makes a huge difference in experience at a charger.

Lityle bit sad to see how you just want to trash the battery and not really care, but each yo their own?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Or maybe the conclusion should be: charge before parking the car for a longer time while the battery is still warm / you have the ability to precondition while driving. This will save time compared to charging it the next day.

Al dependent on personal time schedule.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok so that's what I thought - that's not really the way to pre-condition the battery for charging but typically the basic go to option for doing so. This method is more about preheating or cooling the cabin but as it uses (or can use) the battery to perform this work it naturally warms up a bit but nowhere near enough in the 1 hour max you have to achieve it.

If you add your 350kW charger into your Nav (and it recognises it as a charging location) then the car will automatically pre-condition the battery - this will derive better charging speed results as I would expect the battery to be both warmer and ready to be charged.
So furthering the test. On a very parky 3*c South London morning this time I had charge so the pre heating timeer worked. The battery temp was 12*c Vs 5*c yesterday with no preheating. I think that is meaningful since a 15min 60 mph drive yesterday only increased the temperature to 6*c.

Therefore preheating is essential if going to a charge from a standing start. That and as advised setting the charging location in Nav is the optimal pre charging procedure to get the battery at the highest temperature possible before a super charge.
Sponsored