Surprising Speed of Projected Order Fulfillment in NY

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I placed an order for a Taycan 4S about a month ago. I put down $1000 to what I thought was reserving my place in line. Based on what I was reading here, I was anticipating a late 2020 or early 2021 delivery. I received a call from my dealer that my order is projected as a July 2020 delivery. Is this typical of what people on the forum are seeing, or is this just overly optimistic projection on the part of the dealer? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
I ordered Feb and expect June, but with the Heineken Virus I expect October

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I placed an order for a Taycan 4S about a month ago. I put down $1000 to what I thought was reserving my place in line. Based on what I was reading here, I was anticipating a late 2020 or early 2021 delivery. I received a call from my dealer that my order is projected as a July 2020 delivery. Is this typical of what people on the forum are seeing, or is this just overly optimistic projection on the part of the dealer? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You need to check with the dealer if you have a specific allocation. If you do, then the schedule he gave you is likely the best estimate provided by Porsche Germany. That of course can change by weeks or months. If you don't have an allocation, then it is just an estimate for when he thinks he will get one which may not be close to reality.

Ask him what the status of your order is, specifically what the "v-code" is. Here is a good link explaining all the steps https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/1034400-order-tracking-guide.html

if you are v200 or v210, then the estimate has a higher likelihood of being met.

BTW, here in Silicon Valley, CA, if you reserve now, it may take 12-18 months. However, I was able to find a dealer in the midwest who had an allocation and I am expecting my car in late May. Point is that being in NY, maybe you found a dealer who happened to have an allocation but not a long waiting list.

Good luck!

OP
OP

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you everybody! Agreed, I suspect that production delays in the supply chain (esp. China) will delay further my delivery. I am also surprised that they did not ask for an additional non-refundable deposit.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am also surprised that they did not ask for an additional non-refundable deposit.
hmmm....that is odd.

Unless you have a long standing relationship with the dealer, they usually ask for a non-refundable deposit once they ask you to configure your order because they have an allocation for you. The amount ranges per dealer but can be another 4k or up to 10% of your order.

Based on that, I suspect that you have a reservation, but not an order and so the July date is just a guess based on when they think they may get an allocation. I would double check with them on whether you have an allocation. Did they ask for you to do a specific build of your car?

OP
OP

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
hmmm....that is odd.

Unless you have a long standing relationship with the dealer, they usually ask for a non-refundable deposit once they ask you to configure your order because they have an allocation for you. The amount ranges per dealer but can be another 4k or up to 10% of your order.

Based on that, I suspect that you have a reservation, but not an order and so the July date is just a guess based on when they think they may get an allocation. I would double check with them on whether you have an allocation. Did they ask for you to do a specific build of your car?
I definitely have no longstanding relationship. I have only lived in this part of the country for four years and have never owned a Porsche. My build sheet says that my Vehicle Status is "V200 - Delivery date determined."

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
that is good. So you have an actual order! Congrats.

your dealer is more lenient than others. Since Porsche’s are very customizable, it is reasonable that they ask for a non refundable deposit Since maybe hard to sell if you order something offbeat like a green with red interior ;)

OP
OP

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
your dealer is more lenient than others. Since Porsche’s are very customizable, it is reasonable that they ask for a non refundable deposit Since maybe hard to sell if you order something offbeat like a green with red interior ;)
He seemed to think that he would have no trouble selling the car if I changed my mind. I guess I better ask if my card is about to be charged...:surprised:

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
He seemed to think that he would have no trouble selling the car if I changed my mind. I guess I better ask if my card is about to be charged...:surprised:
Ask for the commission number.
I had a dealer screw around insisting I had an order, but refused to give me my commission number.

When I escalated to the GM, turns out they had no allocations and just placed me on a list.

If it is a real slot there will be a commission number and "exact" build dates for the v-levels(which can move, but are atleast estimates)

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I ordered a 4S Feb 10 and had a mid June delivery date. I changed my order to a turbo about a week later, and that got me a different production slot. Delivery date now projected to be May 15.

Minnesotan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2022 Targa 4S, 2018 E300
Country flag
I also had delivery date move from June to May when I changed my order from a 4S to a Turbo.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
FWIW I placed my order for a 4S from my dealer in FL on 3/13/2020. Dolomite Silver, Build code PLSC6BJ5.

The dealer offered me 4S build slot. I received a commission number. Deposit required went to 10%.

V250 Vehicle Fixed 05/08/20
V260 Vehicle entry to body shop 05/29/20
V300 Vehicle completion 06/12/20
V332 Exit port Emden 07/10/20
U004 Entry Port Jacksonville 07/24/20
U005 Exit Port Jacksonville 07/31/20
V900 Dealer Inventory 08/07/20
Sponsored