Swapped my 21” Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres for 20” P Zero winters today - impressions

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The ride quality of the Taycan Cross Turismo was the thing which surprised me the most when i first drove one.

My winter wheels/tyres arrived this morning so got them fitted and on my normal bumpy uneven route up to The Ridgeway the ride was notably better than with the 21” summer tyres.

Sport mode is still something to avoid, comfort wise, on that road though!
Sponsored

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Ah good. I’m having my winters fitted straight away on delivery. But then, my summer tyres are also on 20” wheels. I definitely want the comfort aspect of the car, with the option for the sportiness/speed rather than the other way around.

I always feel winters are a little like being ‘on stilts’ when I fit them. Does it feel like that a bit?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The ride quality of the Taycan Cross Turismo was the thing which surprised me the most when i first drove one.

My winter wheels/tyres arrived this morning so got them fitted and on my normal bumpy uneven route up to The Ridgeway the ride was notably better than with the 21” summer tyres.

Sport mode but also set your PASM to Normal and see how that goes.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Ah good. I’m having my winters fitted straight away on delivery. But then, my summer tyres are also on 20” wheels. I definitely want the comfort aspect of the car, with the option for the sportiness/speed rather than the other way around.

I always feel winters are a little like being ‘on stilts’ when I fit them. Does it feel like that a bit?
I have 20 inch summer and winter. I don’t really feel a difference. Winters a tiny bit louder maybe.

When I drove out of the tire centre it felt much softer. Once my speed was above 25 km/h I saw that it was because the pressure was way to low (2.0 bar, 2.5 advised). With the correct pressure they felt the same

Last edited:
OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I have 20 inch summer and winter. I don’t really feel a difference. Winters a tiny bit louder maybe.

When I drove out of the tire centre it felt much softer. Once my speed was above 25 km/h I saw that it was because the pressure was way to low (2.0 bar, 2.5 advised). With the correct pressure they felt the same
I thought the difference would be the rim size not summer to winter, and your experience indicates that it is.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I thought the difference would be the rim size not summer to winter, and your experience indicates that it is.
Yes I think so too.
on my x5 I had 20 inch summer and 19 inch winter. The 19 inch were softer.

Reactions: B61

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I also have 20" summer and winter (same rim). Summer rides on P7 Cinturato, and winter are Pzero winter. I put on the winter tyre in October, well before the cold kicked in. My range took an immediate 10-15% hit with winter versus Summer tyres.

Now that temperatures are around freezing, the car is reporting ~340-350kms on a full charge. With summer tyres I was usually showing 400-410kms on a full charge.

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag

Had the exact same thought. 20" felt like a better ride, but it didn't make as much difference as going from 19" to 17" winters on our BMW 330e - that is so much smoother now.

Also I was surprised at how well the Taycan handled with winter tyres on slippery roads. It was a bit dicey driving on the Goodyears to get them changed over so I really happy.

I am actually thinking of skipping putting the 19"s back on the BMW and getting 17" summers even though it looks like crap and the 19" BMW wheels have been the worst I have ever seen for getting kerbed - I even managed kerbing them going out of our drive way at a slight angle.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Oops i feel asleep reading a post on this forum.

I think i was just TIREd….

Yorkshirepuds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Harley Heritage, Triumph Rocket 3
Country flag

I've just switched over from 21" summers to 20" winters... when the outside temperature dropped, the 21" gave a lot of juddering on full lock when cold (Ackerman effect?), the winters have eliminated the juddering altogether.

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4. 20" summers, 20" winters.
Country flag
I'm on 19" Continental WinterContact TS 860S and there is quite the difference compared to the 20" Turbo Aero wheels I use from April to November. The car feels a bit more nimble on the narrower tires, but perhaps a bit more understeered as well (from 245 to 225 in front).

Looks are... well, let's say challenging... - but comfort is great and the car behaves without any surprise on snowy roads.
Porsche Taycan Swapped my 21” Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres for 20” P Zero winters today - impressions L75qkCWuhJfEgzHaxEh1_I32g=w754-h1005-no?authuser=0

Porsche Taycan Swapped my 21” Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres for 20” P Zero winters today - impressions 7SrlzovNdvRaHE1TWv13QhoQ=w1340-h1005-no?authuser=0

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I'm on 19" Continental WinterContact TS 860S and there is quite the difference compared to the 20" Turbo Aero wheels I use from April to November. The car feels a bit more nimble on the narrower tires, but perhaps a bit more understeered as well (from 245 to 225 in front).
Tyre reviews (https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Tyre-Reviews-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm) rate the Continental WinterContact very highly – though seems to be a slightly newer variant then the 860S.

I think I would consider 19" wheels for my winters – though they are as ugly as sin – but they won't fit the carbon ceramic brakes – so not an option. It looks like they have got decent amount of sidewall compared to the 20".

Your pictures make me want to go back to Norway – just 8 more weeks – and it will be a nice bit brighter!

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4. 20" summers, 20" winters.
Country flag
Yes, so far the Continentals have proven to be quite capabel also on snow and ice - and where they really shine, is on wet and cold asphalt. Good grip, very low noise and good handling - which are important cathegories for me. Will be putting them through the paces this weekend, with forecasted temperatures of around -15 C in the mountains.

Coming from a Model S Raven, I figured I would configure my Taycan for maximum range in winter conditions - hence the 19"s. Will anyways run them the next months, and then decide if a set of 20" could replace them for the next winter. We shall see...

Did you opt for Pirellies' as winter tires for your incoming Turbo S? Seems they worked very well during your nordic adventures, last winter?

Edit: the Continentals also have the NF0 homologation, quite nice... :)

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Did you opt for Pirellies' as winter tires for your incoming Turbo S? Seemes they worked very well during your nordic adventures, last winter?
Yes I did. And unlike when you order the car, when buying a winter tyre set they allow you select which tyre brand you want.
Sponsored