Switch Taycan from 11KW to 22KW? Upgradekit?

Taycan_Rolf

First Name
Rolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera 4
Country flag
Hi all,
anybody has a written statement from Porsche if there is an option to upgrade from 11KW to 22KW (left side) with an upgrade kit? Model 2021 is optional available with this... but I want to upgrade my 2020 Model. Any experience?
thx.
Rolf
Sponsored

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
I asked my dealer the same thing a few months back, but he replied it would probably be difficult, and a least an expensive task if even possible. The price from the 2021 ordering option is already quite high for the 22 KW upgrade, so it will be at least that difference as I guess Porsche will not take back the 11 KW charger, pluss mounting of course. My presumption is that it will cost more than it tastes.

Having said this, you wouldn’t gain much, as 22 KW only is effective on AC. Superchargers on DC will still give you up to 270 KW. In most houses it’s difficult to pull more than 11 KW from your electric system anyway, without blocking everything else you need in your home. That leads back if the high cost on a little faster semi charging is worth it. In comparison one could charge a whole lot on superchargers instead, and still save money.

Though I get your drift - I would have ticked of the same option if I could when ordering new (but after some thought I packed away the idea of any aftermount).

OP
OP
Taycan_Rolf

Taycan_Rolf

First Name
Rolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera 4
Country flag
Got a reply in a German Forum. You can upgrade it for approx 1690 Euro in Germany.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Got a reply in a German Forum. You can upgrade it for approx 1690 Euro in Germany.
That is useful to know. I've optioned it on my Taycan order because there are 1000s of 22kW public chargers around Ireland.

In countries with similar (like France) I bet this would be a popular upgrade.

I paid €1605 for the 22kW option. Do you know if the €1690 upgrade pricing in Germany includes labour/installation costs, as it seems low.

Porsche Taycan Switch Taycan from 11KW to 22KW? Upgradekit? Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 21.50.20

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
Useful to know as mine is MY21 but option wasn’t there when I ordered, and I have 3 phase being installed at home anyway.
In exactly the same boat. Would be very interested in the upgrade, if it becomes available.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
In exactly the same boat. Would be very interested in the upgrade, if it becomes available.
When I was putting in my order – the 22kW charger only became available for December builds and after. I agreed to wait for it and have a Jan 2021 build slot.

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
When I was putting in my order – the 22kW charger only became available for December builds and after. I agreed to wait for it and have a Jan 2021 build slot.
I was told the same thing by my dealer when placing my order. Had the option of waiting a couple of weeks and getting the 22kW model in Jan. The only issue here, is that by then, the UK may be out of the EU without a deal, and if that is the case, the price of the car would rise by at least 10%. Wasn’t worth the risk.

Hopefully this can be upgraded/retrofitted as suggested above. Would be great if anyone gets more information on this.

volcanoone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 991.1 4S Cabrio
Country flag
Hi TangE,

Porsche has released some news that an upgrade kit is available now. Link in german and english:

https://newsroom.porsche.com/de/202...te-software-update-2023-modelljahr-29129.html

Seit kurzem lässt sich auch der 22-kW-Onboard-Lader nachträglich einbauen1. Kunden können diese Nachrüstung auf eigene Kosten mit dem Werkstatt-Aufenthalt für das Software-Update verknüpfen. Mit bis zu 22 kW Ladeleistung lädt die stärkere Variante die Batterie wesentlich schneller. In Europa und Nordamerika ist mit der Nachrüstung zudem die Freischaltung der Plug & Charge-Funktion verbunden. Sie ermöglicht bequemes Laden und Bezahlen ohne Karte oder App. Sobald das Ladekabel eingesteckt ist, kommuniziert der Taycan verschlüsselt mit der Plug & Charge-fähigen Ladestation. In der Folge starten Lade- und Bezahlvorgang automatisch.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...ge-software-update-2023-model-year-29112.html

The 22 kW onboard charger has now also recently become available for retrofitting1. Customers can combine this retrofit at their own expense with a workshop visit for the software update. With up to 22 kW of charging capacity, the more powerful variant charges the battery significantly faster. In Europe and North America, the retrofit also includes activation of the Plug & Charge function. This enables convenient charging and payment without a card or app. As soon as the charging cable is plugged in, the Taycan establishes encrypted communication with the Plug & Charge-compatible charging station. The charging and payment processes then start automatically
Sponsored