Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
Hi,

I guess this is a new member into, order announcement and request for feedback etc. all in one!

Firstly, thanks to all who participate in this forum, all your observations, questions, answers, experiences and insights have been very helpful.

Having read almost every post I don't think I am going to find any new answers to my questions ... but maybe a rambling stream of consciousness will help me finalise my build choices!

It has been 8 years since my last car purchase where I was deciding between the Range Rover Evoque and an BMW X3 ... the Evoque was the original choice based on appearance, until I drove it ... awful and underpowered ... and when someone suggested I try the X3 ... I never looked back!

That said, my first test drive was not exactly overwhelming as it was only a 2i ... but when I tried the 35d I was sold!

Sadly, 8 years on, having a diesel in London is becoming more punitive every day, and shortly when the ULEZ expands I will be screwed.

And so, I have decided, to get an EV.

… I am already dreading the range anxiety and the constant planning for how to keep the car charged, as I don’t have off street parking.

My initial view was to get a Tesla Model X Performance … the idea of 0-60 in 2.8s made me giggle inanely!

The key selling point was the Tesla Supercharging network and the fact that I am close to Westfield where I could get a full charge in a hour while having a coffee … or “better still” my wife would have an excuse to go shopping!

I drove the Model X … and while the acceleration was spectacular, pretty much everything else was unremarkable and disappointing.

The auto pilot was a novel experience, but utterly underwhelming and failed to inspire confidence that it was any use other than for cruising on motorways … and for that I am sure modern adaptive cruise control is a real improvement over what I have had for the last 8 years.

But worst of all, the build quality was atrocious …

… with that in mind, I could not justify spending £100k on something so cheap and plastic.

Dejected, I had a look around to see what else might be worth considering …

I looked at two more, the Taycan and the iPace.

Frankly, my wife pushed me to look at the Taycan … she loves Porsche more than anything … supposedly, when I eventually make a success of myself I am supposed to be buying her a 911.

Personally I prefer something a bit more spacious and high riding.

At a practical level, the iPace seemed to hit the mark in many respects … good price point, reasonably well appointed and while the slowest of all of these lot, has plenty of space.

That said, if you are an impatient sort like me, don’t bother with the 2020 version as the infotainment system is woefully underpowered and the UI leaves you time to pop out for a coffee between each “button” press … for me that is reason enough to avoid the vehicle entirely … apparently the 2021 iPace has an upgraded CPU and also CCTV rear view mirror, which did give it hope … I was considering waiting till the 2021 iPace became available, but the dealer didn’t bother to get back to me following my test drive.

I was temporarily excited to hear the BMW was about to release a fully electric X3 … until I read the spec sheet.

About the only sales rep who maintained proactive contact was the Porsche dealer … and so, ironically, almost by default the Taycan won.

Now, I know this is not a very inspiring tale of vehicle selection … and I have to be honest, I find the car too cramped for my taste, but … of all the cars, the drive was the most engaging by a very long way and the build quality is really nice.

Though my X3 is kind of a 4x4 … the drive is astonishing, and I’m not shy with how I drive it … so at the end of the day … I will likely enjoy the Taycan by a country mile compared to any of the others.

My Taycan test drive was rather short for my liking, and there were some peculiar anomalies in the car where it seems to resist my attempts to break the currently posted speed limit or approach cars at a closing speed above a certain level … I didn’t get enough time to work out which “feature” was nannying me.

The only safety feature I really want is the one, where in that 1 in a 1,000,000 that I am distracted and don’t notice the car in front has stopped, my car will slam on the brakes to avoid a collision … I have yet to definitively determine if the Taycan has this safety feature or not .. for sure, playing “chicken” with the Taycan didn’t engage any “emergency braking”. The sales rep told me that he has been saved on more than one occasion, buy the car emergency breaking, but I have not been able to find any definitive article on it as a dedicated safety feature outside of some Innodrive type automation.

If anyone has had any experience with the car saving them from a lapse of concentration, without any of the driving aids switched on, I would really like to know.

I didn’t really notice an obvious performance increase over my X3 like I did with the Model X, but the Taycan is 1.2s quicker 0-60mph so hopefully when I get more of a chance to drive, I will notice it.

I loved the natural feel of the accelerator and the brake … by far the most impressive thing for me compared to driving other EVs.

The test drive and cabin didn’t really sell it, but the drive was nicest of them all, and my wife was adamant this was the right car ...

Grumbling and reluctant, without and better ideas, I put down a deposit ...

Since placing the order and discovering this forum and talking to a few people, it is clear that while each car excels from different perspectives, nothing seems to come close to the Taycan as a driver’s car.

People who “know” seem to think I have made the right choice and I won’t regret it … time will tell, and then I will be able to come to a determination if they “know” or just think they do.

…. and so, with each day I am getting more excited about becoming an eventual Taycan owner.

The initial order is in, but now, I am entering the “which options” phase!

So far I have narrowed it down to this list … which is pretty much almost everything I think … I am waiting for the 2021 configurator to come live so I can check.

Jet Black Metallic
20-Inch Turbo Aero Wheels
Standard Black Leather
Comfort Seats (14 Way) with Memory Package
Electric folding exterior mirrors
Side window trims in black (High-Gloss)
Porsche Electric Sport Sound
Performance Battery Plus
HUD
Rear-Axle Steering including Power Steering Plus
Sport Chrono Package
LED Matrix headlights inc. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
Automatically dimming exterior and interior mirrors
Panoramic roof, fixed glass
Thermally and noise insulated glass including privacy glass
ParkAssist including Surround View
Porsche InnoDrive including Adaptive Cruise Control
Night View Assist
Lane Change Assist
Comfort Access
Seat heating (front)
Heated steering wheel (i.c.w. Sport Chrono Package and Leather Interior)
Storage package
2+1 rear seat system
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Powered charging port cover
150kW DC on-board booster
Public charging cable (Type 2)

The one item I am not sure about is the Sports Chrono Pack … I really don’t like that clock thing on the dash, and I am not going to be timing myself, but my dealer has advised me that I should take the option. Comments on the “Range” option don’t seem that positive, about the only thing that is of merit is the customisable driving selector option …

I have seen all the negative comments about the HUD and that is quite sad to read really as I specifically waited for a 2021 model because I wanted a HUD … I have had one for 8 years in my X3 and find it disturbing to drive now without a HUD … I have ordered the HUD for my Taycan … I hope I won’t be disappointed.

The only two options I have not selected are:

Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport) @ £2,315
Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus) @ £1,052.00

And from what I understand, the PDCC Sport option requires PTV+ … given that I am spending all this on a car, am I silly to save £3,400 and forgo these last two options? … but £3k is £3k.

I am very unlikely to take my car to the track, but I do drive spirited, and I do tend to throw my X3 round the country roads … am I going to see a benefit from these two?

When traffic conditions permit, I do enjoy accelerating off the roundabout round the bend of the slip road onto the motorways … I never cease to be amazed with the handling of my X3 … at most it sometimes gives a bit of lateral drift but always keeps its composure and the electronics make me feel like I can drive … I suspect that I would make a real mess without the unseen overseeing eye of the cars stability management system.

I have read the posts on the Sports Chrono Package, PDCC and PTV and I really am none the wiser about which way to go on any of them.

Lastly, I have to park on the street, so I am hoping to get a lamp post conversion with Ubitricity ... I will have to buy an Ubitricity smart cable ... but they are out of stock and no sign when they will become available ...

My order currently has a Public charging cable (Type 2) in it, I assume that will be redundant if and when I get the Ubitricity smart cable?

Do I leave the Type 2 public charging cable in my order, or wait and see ... and buy one later if I can't get an Ubitricity one? Will I be able to buy one at time of delivery?

Hopefully there will be some words of wisdom, but it’s probably all be said before.

I’m looking at a September build for November delivery, but haven’t been given a date.

Thanks in advance for any constrictive feedback (or humorous ridicule).
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So, I'm going to give you a blunt assessment here.. I think you're in for a world of trouble.

If you don't have off street parking with your own charger, you shouldn't be buying an EV. You're going to run into just constant problems and it will be a disaster. It's one thing to plan on a map where chargers are and think "okay, I'll just go for 30 minutes on Tuesdays here and 30 minutes on Saturdays here" and then a completely different reality. Having an at home charger is not an option for an EV, it's a requirement.

Combine that with what are currently less than glowing reviews of the charging infrastructure in your country and.. yikes! I say this because I initially wasn't planning on having an at home charger for my iPace but ended up getting one and realized within one day of ownership what an utter disaster that would have been.

Also, you're going to park that expensive of a car on the street? You're going to have a lot of sleepless nights.

But if you're intent on opening pandora's box.. your build looks really good! Doesn't seem to be missing anything. Get the Chrono, IMHO, love the clock or hate it it's a signature Porsche trait. Also you don't get the best modes without Chrono.

The HUD does spoil the beauty of the gauges but if you're using the HUD you won't really care. Get it if you want it.

(P.S. - Don't get an iPace. Mine was lemoned and it's quite common with that car. Plus it charges at a snail's pace and even moreso than a Taycan you will regret it.)

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I’m charging at work now, do not plan to use home charger unless I have a road trip the next day I’ll charge to 100.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Not really using home charging here either. The range is so good a public top up once a week is fine

+ for Chrono, it gives you the drive mode selector on the wheel, it’s worth it just for that. I switch mode at least a couple of times every time I drive it so it worth it not to go into menus etc. Oh and I think range mode is great too, It really works well for daily driving

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Although I haven't experienced it in the taycan yet, my wife''s 2020 Cayenne with adaptive cruise control will sense the car ahead and apply braking when necessary to keep clear distance. At times, it has also applied the brakes to prevent her from turning left when oncoming traffic from the left side gives the impression that it is not decelerating to turn right.

Jdqt458

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Coupe
Country flag
Hi,

I guess this is a new member into, order announcement and request for feedback etc. all in one!

Firstly, thanks to all who participate in this forum, all your observations, questions, answers, experiences and insights have been very helpful.

Having read almost every post I don't think I am going to find any new answers to my questions ... but maybe a rambling stream of consciousness will help me finalise my build choices!

It has been 8 years since my last car purchase where I was deciding between the Range Rover Evoque and an BMW X3 ... the Evoque was the original choice based on appearance, until I drove it ... awful and underpowered ... and when someone suggested I try the X3 ... I never looked back!

That said, my first test drive was not exactly overwhelming as it was only a 2i ... but when I tried the 35d I was sold!

Sadly, 8 years on, having a diesel in London is becoming more punitive every day, and shortly when the ULEZ expands I will be screwed.

And so, I have decided, to get an EV.

… I am already dreading the range anxiety and the constant planning for how to keep the car charged, as I don’t have off street parking.

My initial view was to get a Tesla Model X Performance … the idea of 0-60 in 2.8s made me giggle inanely!

The key selling point was the Tesla Supercharging network and the fact that I am close to Westfield where I could get a full charge in a hour while having a coffee … or “better still” my wife would have an excuse to go shopping!

I drove the Model X … and while the acceleration was spectacular, pretty much everything else was unremarkable and disappointing.

The auto pilot was a novel experience, but utterly underwhelming and failed to inspire confidence that it was any use other than for cruising on motorways … and for that I am sure modern adaptive cruise control is a real improvement over what I have had for the last 8 years.

But worst of all, the build quality was atrocious …

… with that in mind, I could not justify spending £100k on something so cheap and plastic.

Dejected, I had a look around to see what else might be worth considering …

I looked at two more, the Taycan and the iPace.

Frankly, my wife pushed me to look at the Taycan … she loves Porsche more than anything … supposedly, when I eventually make a success of myself I am supposed to be buying her a 911.

Personally I prefer something a bit more spacious and high riding.

At a practical level, the iPace seemed to hit the mark in many respects … good price point, reasonably well appointed and while the slowest of all of these lot, has plenty of space.

That said, if you are an impatient sort like me, don’t bother with the 2020 version as the infotainment system is woefully underpowered and the UI leaves you time to pop out for a coffee between each “button” press … for me that is reason enough to avoid the vehicle entirely … apparently the 2021 iPace has an upgraded CPU and also CCTV rear view mirror, which did give it hope … I was considering waiting till the 2021 iPace became available, but the dealer didn’t bother to get back to me following my test drive.

I was temporarily excited to hear the BMW was about to release a fully electric X3 … until I read the spec sheet.

About the only sales rep who maintained proactive contact was the Porsche dealer … and so, ironically, almost by default the Taycan won.

Now, I know this is not a very inspiring tale of vehicle selection … and I have to be honest, I find the car too cramped for my taste, but … of all the cars, the drive was the most engaging by a very long way and the build quality is really nice.

Though my X3 is kind of a 4x4 … the drive is astonishing, and I’m not shy with how I drive it … so at the end of the day … I will likely enjoy the Taycan by a country mile compared to any of the others.

My Taycan test drive was rather short for my liking, and there were some peculiar anomalies in the car where it seems to resist my attempts to break the currently posted speed limit or approach cars at a closing speed above a certain level … I didn’t get enough time to work out which “feature” was nannying me.

The only safety feature I really want is the one, where in that 1 in a 1,000,000 that I am distracted and don’t notice the car in front has stopped, my car will slam on the brakes to avoid a collision … I have yet to definitively determine if the Taycan has this safety feature or not .. for sure, playing “chicken” with the Taycan didn’t engage any “emergency braking”. The sales rep told me that he has been saved on more than one occasion, buy the car emergency breaking, but I have not been able to find any definitive article on it as a dedicated safety feature outside of some Innodrive type automation.

If anyone has had any experience with the car saving them from a lapse of concentration, without any of the driving aids switched on, I would really like to know.

I didn’t really notice an obvious performance increase over my X3 like I did with the Model X, but the Taycan is 1.2s quicker 0-60mph so hopefully when I get more of a chance to drive, I will notice it.

I loved the natural feel of the accelerator and the brake … by far the most impressive thing for me compared to driving other EVs.

The test drive and cabin didn’t really sell it, but the drive was nicest of them all, and my wife was adamant this was the right car ...

Grumbling and reluctant, without and better ideas, I put down a deposit ...

Since placing the order and discovering this forum and talking to a few people, it is clear that while each car excels from different perspectives, nothing seems to come close to the Taycan as a driver’s car.

People who “know” seem to think I have made the right choice and I won’t regret it … time will tell, and then I will be able to come to a determination if they “know” or just think they do.

…. and so, with each day I am getting more excited about becoming an eventual Taycan owner.

The initial order is in, but now, I am entering the “which options” phase!

So far I have narrowed it down to this list … which is pretty much almost everything I think … I am waiting for the 2021 configurator to come live so I can check.

Jet Black Metallic
20-Inch Turbo Aero Wheels
Standard Black Leather
Comfort Seats (14 Way) with Memory Package
Electric folding exterior mirrors
Side window trims in black (High-Gloss)
Porsche Electric Sport Sound
Performance Battery Plus
HUD
Rear-Axle Steering including Power Steering Plus
Sport Chrono Package
LED Matrix headlights inc. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
Automatically dimming exterior and interior mirrors
Panoramic roof, fixed glass
Thermally and noise insulated glass including privacy glass
ParkAssist including Surround View
Porsche InnoDrive including Adaptive Cruise Control
Night View Assist
Lane Change Assist
Comfort Access
Seat heating (front)
Heated steering wheel (i.c.w. Sport Chrono Package and Leather Interior)
Storage package
2+1 rear seat system
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Powered charging port cover
150kW DC on-board booster
Public charging cable (Type 2)

The one item I am not sure about is the Sports Chrono Pack … I really don’t like that clock thing on the dash, and I am not going to be timing myself, but my dealer has advised me that I should take the option. Comments on the “Range” option don’t seem that positive, about the only thing that is of merit is the customisable driving selector option …

I have seen all the negative comments about the HUD and that is quite sad to read really as I specifically waited for a 2021 model because I wanted a HUD … I have had one for 8 years in my X3 and find it disturbing to drive now without a HUD … I have ordered the HUD for my Taycan … I hope I won’t be disappointed.

The only two options I have not selected are:

Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport) @ £2,315
Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus) @ £1,052.00

And from what I understand, the PDCC Sport option requires PTV+ … given that I am spending all this on a car, am I silly to save £3,400 and forgo these last two options? … but £3k is £3k.

I am very unlikely to take my car to the track, but I do drive spirited, and I do tend to throw my X3 round the country roads … am I going to see a benefit from these two?

When traffic conditions permit, I do enjoy accelerating off the roundabout round the bend of the slip road onto the motorways … I never cease to be amazed with the handling of my X3 … at most it sometimes gives a bit of lateral drift but always keeps its composure and the electronics make me feel like I can drive … I suspect that I would make a real mess without the unseen overseeing eye of the cars stability management system.

I have read the posts on the Sports Chrono Package, PDCC and PTV and I really am none the wiser about which way to go on any of them.

Lastly, I have to park on the street, so I am hoping to get a lamp post conversion with Ubitricity ... I will have to buy an Ubitricity smart cable ... but they are out of stock and no sign when they will become available ...

My order currently has a Public charging cable (Type 2) in it, I assume that will be redundant if and when I get the Ubitricity smart cable?

Do I leave the Type 2 public charging cable in my order, or wait and see ... and buy one later if I can't get an Ubitricity one? Will I be able to buy one at time of delivery?

Hopefully there will be some words of wisdom, but it’s probably all be said before.

I’m looking at a September build for November delivery, but haven’t been given a date.

Thanks in advance for any constrictive feedback (or humorous ridicule).
Great Spec .
Agree with the comments regarding Sport Chrono.
But Standard Black Leather .
Is this Partial Leather?
Surely a well specced Taycan as this is — should include Full Leather !!

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Although I haven't experienced it in the taycan yet, my wife''s 2020 Cayenne with adaptive cruise control will sense the car ahead and apply braking when necessary to keep clear distance. At times, it has also applied the brakes to prevent her from turning left when oncoming traffic from the left side gives the impression that it is not decelerating to turn right.
That’s Innodrive, it steers for you as well. It’s brilliant.

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Great Spec .
Agree with the comments regarding Sport Chrono.
But Standard Black Leather .
Is this Partial Leather?
Surely a well specced Taycan as this is — should include Full Leather !!
I am in two minds about the full leather ... I agree with you that the full leather will look nicer ... but my cars are a bit of a work horse, and I kind if worry that it will be more susceptible to damage.

Also I am trying to keep the price down, and all the options are ones that I consider "functional" ... even PDCC and PTV are potentially more useful than full leather as they will impact driving.

Sure I want the car to look good, but I am not so fussed about aesthetics over function.

I do worry that each extra "feature" will diminish range though .... I haven't seen anyone comment on how all these extra electronic options might affect range .... both in terms of power consumption and range.

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s Innodrive, it steers for you as well. It’s brilliant.
But does "emergency braking" work when InnoDirve is no active?

For sure, I understand that Adaptive Cruse control and InnoDrive will adjust speed for obstructions.

The question that I can't get a clear answer to is:

I am driving, in full manual without engaging auto this that or whatever ... and my wife says ... look "unicorn" ... I go "where" and look out the side window where she is pointing, and in that split moment, someone stops infront of me.

Will the car apply emergency brakes to stop me if it thinks a collision is immanent?

I understand that in cars where this is a feature, there is no guarantee that it will prevent a collision, but it will at least lessen the impact.

Is this documented anywhere?

I have read the user manual but I am still none the wiser ...

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can turn it on and off from the vehicle assist menu. So I’d presume when switched on that it works independently of any other assist function. Please do not ask me to do any real world testing for you!

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Country flag
You can turn it on and off from the vehicle assist menu. So I’d presume when switched on that it works independently of any other assist function. Please do not ask me to do any real world testing for you!
Thanks

LOL

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
We have purchased four bespoke Porsche" and the configuration rules are simple:
  1. Every performance option
    (including handling)
  2. Every safety option
    (except fire extinguisher - insurance agent friend said to let it burn)
  3. Every lighting option
    (we are getting older)
  4. Every option my wife wants
    (she also chooses the wheels)
Bottom line, no way we would order without PDCC & PTV

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Country flag
We have purchased four bespoke Porsche" and the configuration rules are simple:
  1. Every performance option
    (including handling)
  2. Every safety option
    (except fire extinguisher - insurance agent friend said to let it burn)
  3. Every lighting option
    (we are getting older)
  4. Every option my wife wants
    (she also chooses the wheels)
Bottom line, no way we would order without PDCC & PTV
I’ll add them tomorrow, thanks.

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
I am still waiting for mine to get on a ship (been sitting in Emden for a month now, supposed to ship out on Friday) but I’ve test driven several.

Everyone has opinions on everything, and of course it all comes to personal preference and taste. Like for me, I didn’t like the look of the analog timer nor the janky dial on the steering wheel (and the visible bolts that are on the steering wheel just because you got sport chrono)...and I figured I’d just hit the sport button just like I do with my BMW since these cars still don’t save your last driving mode (I really don’t get that universal choice of user experience). Driving in crowded streets I probably won’t be hitting sport very often, how often do I need to spin the dial vs. press the button?

The most fundamental point for me, though, is if you want an SUV then getting a sedan will not satisfy you for long. I much prefer cars vs. SUVs or trucks, but I do have to say when my back is hurting me I do enjoy sliding into my wife’s MDX rather than squatting in/out of a car. So if it is an SUV or truck that you want, don’t get a Porsche. If you are interested in the best handling car, the best looking car inside and out, and you’re willing to wrestle with non-home charging...get the Taycan!

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
For my input

Welcome to the forum i found it very useful as when I specced my Turbo there were no UK cars and Covid struck!

the first time I actually saw a Taycan was the day I collected the car 9 months after I ordered it!

I would personally suggest looking at upgrading to a Turbo as it won't cost you Much more if you are financing the car due to the much higher residual and you get some of your options as standard ie met paint, wheels, larger battery, LED, heat seats (plus full leather, PTV+ and upgraded seats)

i have RWS and PTV+ in my turbo and they are great there is no bodybroll in the car it's like witch craft
I didn't get PDCC as I have no plans to take my car on track (I would rather use someone else's)

it's so easy to keep adding options! I spent close to 20k and I wish I had chosen a couple more and could easily have removed some I have chosen

the great thing about Porsche is there are so many options that you don't get many the same
Sponsored