Switching from Telsa Model S to Taycan 4S. Feedback from anyone who has done this?!

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag
Autopilot is great until you get phantom braking PTSD. I think innodrive/alk works fine for long trips on interstate from my tests.
Sponsored

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I love:
Telsa's Current Auto Pilot
Consider that when you own a Porsche, you'll actually want to drive it ;)

Tesla and Porsche have polar opposite approaches to designing and building cars. Tesla's goal is to disconnect the driver from the car as much as possible. Porsche's goal is to connect the driver to the car as much as possible.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
I've owned Model S P85 and P100D, and currently own a Model Y along with my Taycan 4S. The Taycan is built as a Porsche, it is all about the driving experience, the Tesla is the car that has ushered in the age of electric transportation that is viable for trips and exciting to drive with driver assistance features we have not had before. If you like driving a sports car and value luxury, fit and finish, handling, braking, steering and all that goes into the driving experience get a Taycan. If you would rather be driven and in a very safe car, keep the Tesla. Both cars have their issues with software glitches, 12V battery death, lack of perfect charging infrastructure yet, etc. Tesla customer service was great back in 2013-2016, then fell off rapidly once it became larger and had more cars on the road. Porsche customer service should be much better.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Even as a techy, the tech in Teslas doesn't really interest or impress me. I'd never trust Tesla's autopilot to do the things they claim it can do so regular adaptive cruise control is fine with me.
I'm curious as to the reason for this remark, has the tesla FSD/EAP ever failed while you were driving it?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Strange thread! The software AND hardware quality of my MS90D is so horrendous, I cannot wait to have it replaced with the EQS!

Love my Taycan, by far the best EV I have ever driven!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I'm curious as to the reason for this remark, has the tesla FSD/EAP ever failed while you were driving it?
Phantom breaks in tunnels? Hard breaks because it suddenly thinks it recognized a speed limit?

It was OK, when I purchased it 5 years ago but with the OTA, it is so bad, the list is so long, it is practically unusable.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Phantom breaks in tunnels? Hard breaks because it suddenly thinks it recognized a speed limit?

It was OK, when I purchased it 5 years ago but with the OTA, it is so bad, the list is so long, it is practically unusable.
I would get the phantom braking but it was a rare occurrence for me. I loved and almost always used the system in the tesla. in the taycan innodrive works well on highways I have little experience with it on surface roads.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Tesla makes the best EV
Porsche makes a better car that happens to be an EV - but not the best “EV”

Tesla makes software as well as Porsche makes vehicles
Porsche makes software as well as Tesla makes vehicles

pick your poison

I’ve owned 5 Teslas and appreciate them for their pros and their cons - it’s not all rosy - I’ve been a Tesla fan/victim/promoter/detractor/informed-observer since 2013 - they make really compelling cars and only the best competitors shine a light on Tesla’s weaknesses - all others are simply dumbstruck as Tesla rolls over their market segment.

for those “counting” - 2013 Model S P85 (26k miles), 2014 Model S P85D (54k miles), 2016 Model X P90D (12k miles - lemon), 2017 Model X P100D (50k miles lemon replacement), 2018 Model 3 Performance (32k miles) - so I’ve had my Tesla “experience”

I’ve decied to leave Elon-world for a bit - I might be back - but at the moment I’m saddened by a lack of “growth” in corp approach - you can grant a new start up with a compelling product some lee way as they are “learning” - but Tesla is still making the same rookie mistakes as they were in 2012 with regards to overall quality - no maturity demonstrated - so now I”m out but will be an interested bystander on the side lines...

Porsche brakes!!! no one does them better - and my Tesla’s all sucked - good thing you don‘t use them very much cause of regen

and Tesla brakes really really do suck - I’ve ”gotten into my Model S and Model X brakes” a few times - OMG they are soooooo horrible - I mean they stopped the car and all - but OMG the response was simply awful, terrible pedal feel and behavior (the pedal pulled away from my foot??? WTF????) - You really really don’t use the brakes that often in an EV and it’s a good think cause Tesla brakes are simply the worst.

Taycan is a great car, and has some room for growth in the tech department
Taycan is next level quiet on the road
And when I slam the door shut with the window down it doesn’t rattle inside the door cavity
  • I miss OTA updates
  • I miss Plug & charge
  • I miss a reliable fast charging network
  • I miss better charging control software (Schedule & amp control)
  • I love car play in the taycan
  • I miss an app that is actually functional
  • I love the drive quality of the Taycan
  • I love the quiet of the Taycan
  • I love the style of the Taycan
  • I love the fit & finish of the Taycan
  • I miss the functionality and cargo capacity of the hatch from the Model S
  • the range is similar on the two platforms
  • The taycan never fails to draw admirers
  • I miss the excellent in car EV centric navigation in the Tesla (charge stop planning and battery consumption trip estimates with burn down chart)
  • I like getting better than EPA estimated range in the Taycan
  • Did I tell you about Porsche Brakes? They are really really industry best.
  • I like not having to sort out truth from fiction on weekly basis as the world disects Elon’s tweets for what is truth and what is vision
  • Tesla price/value/performance equation is hard to beat
  • The Taycan costs too much, but so do all Porsches
  • It’s hard to nail down which car is quicker and when and how often - both manufactures are misleading in this space - both cars are quicker than most super cars even 3 years ago for a fraction of the price - in the end it doesn’t matter - you’ll be quicker that what ever is next you at a stop light for a very long time
over all the Taycan is slightly better, but needs Tesla nipping at it’s heels to show them the way forward and it’s not all roses over here either, but honestly I’m more comfortable with Taycan’s weaknesses than I am with Tesla’s strengths.

but honestly if you can afford either of these vehicles you’re doing too well and will be rewarded with a very very compelling 4 door sports sedan as your daily driver - frankly no one really needs either of these vehicles and the world wold be better off with “lesser” choices that are more purely functional.

Last edited:

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Hi All!

I am looking for anyone who has went from a Tesla Model S to the Taycan? Please provide some insight. Are you happy with the change?

I am frustrated with Tesla over:
Service
Communication
Build Quality
Long term dependability of the car

I love:
Telsa's Current Auto Pilot and other cutting edge tech.

I have test driven the Taycan 4S from a local dealership. I loved everything about it but they are very behind tesla on the driver assistance features (innodrive lane keep and adaptive cruise control. 1 Pedal Driving, the app, and some other things too) I am very worried I will miss the Tesla Autopilot as I drive about 30 mins a day each way to work. However, I love everything else much more about the Taycan. I know the Taycan much higher quality car.

Any feedback from owners who switched would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim
The way I look at it:

-- If you like the car to drive itself: Stick with Tesla
-- If you enjoy to drive the car and push it hard - Don't think twice and switch to Porsche

Regarding communication/service, these are related to dealerships and there are good and bad in all brands.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
over all the Taycan is slightly better, but needs Tesla nipping at it’s heels to show them the way forward and it’s not all roses over here either, but honestly I’m more comfortable with Taycan’s weaknesses than I am with Tesla’s strengths.
This is a very good summary! I am only comparing to a Tesla M3P, but most of your comments are spot on.
I disregard for this comment anything to do with the PCM ( which is way below standard)
The Taycan drives like a Porsche and is excellent to drive. But to me it is nearly a bit too clinical about the drive. Everything about driving is perfect, right steering feeling and a fantastic drive train! Seats... in my opinion ok but nothing to write home about.
My main issue however is the interior finish! It is too much plastic! See the B pillar.

If you really want to see a superior interior finish go and look at a Bentley Continental Sport or a Aston Martin DB9! The leather work is fantastic! And stitching or even contrast stitching is just unbelievable! Even the door pockets are lined in smooth leather!

On the outside the paint work on a Taycan has a lot of Orange Peel. If you want to see superior paint work. Check out an Aston Martin! No Orange Peel in sight!

As a drivers car the Taycan is superb, but there is room for improvement in the overall score IMHO!

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
This is a very good summary! I am only comparing to a Tesla M3P, but most of your comments are spot on.
I disregard for this comment anything to do with the PCM ( which is way below standard)
The Taycan drives like a Porsche and is excellent to drive. But to me it is nearly a bit too clinical about the drive. Everything about driving is perfect, right steering feeling and a fantastic drive train! Seats... in my opinion ok but nothing to write home about.
My main issue however is the interior finish! It is too much plastic! See the B pillar.

If you really want to see a superior interior finish go and look at a Bentley Continental Sport or a Aston Martin DB9! The leather work is fantastic! And stitching or even contrast stitching is just unbelievable! Even the door pockets are lined in smooth leather!

On the outside the paint work on a Taycan has a lot of Orange Peel. If you want to see superior paint work. Check out an Aston Martin! No Orange Peel in sight!

As a drivers car the Taycan is superb, but there is room for improvement in the overall score IMHO!
The cheapo b pillar can now be fixed with money on the configurator. I have experience with both Bentley and the DB9 & you're totally right but that's not really what Porsche has ever been. Also the DB9 had the absolute worst radio/nav setup I've ever seen. Other random niggles like the steering wheel volume buttons breaking. But the styling, interior leather work & paint job were incredible.

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Tesla’s claim to fame was that it brought the first longe range EV to market. Nowadays, it’s only advantage is it’s network. The only way to access it is to buy a poorly built, overpriced car. These days, it resorts to pointless exercises like yoke steering wheels and removing the driving stalks. Clutching at straws. And for anyone who thinks that the Tesla UI is better. I have two words. Apple CarPlay. Tesla’s arrogance will be its downfall. It’s failure to acknowledge that it now has competition is painful to watch.

perstxx

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan turbo , 2021 Opel Corsa-e
Country flag
Tesla has done a lot for the development of electric cars ; if it hadn't been for the Tesla Model S I doubt Porsche would have made any Taycan - thank you Tesla.
However , discussing Model S vs Taycan without mentioning the Taycan's Burmester sound system , the Porsche sport seats etc. etc. would be missing the point...

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Tesla has done a lot for the development of electric cars ; if it hadn't been for the Tesla Model S I doubt Porsche would have made any Taycan - thank you Tesla.
However , discussing Model S vs Taycan without mentioning the Taycan's Burmester sound system , the Porsche sport seats etc. etc. would be missing the point...
Yep - the model s was compelling when it was the only game in town for a good looking EV with good range. Now there are more options. Makes it harder to overlook the faults
Sponsored