Switching from Telsa Model S to Taycan 4S. Feedback from anyone who has done this?!

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Have the Taycan 4S after a P85D, model 3 long range and model 3 performance. I think @daveo4EV has the most balanced response. Talking about quality, Taycan is in a class of its own in terms of fit and finish - no comparison with Tesla there.

Conversely, the user interface goes to Tesla. Apple CarPlay may be nice for music and apps, but does not adjust anything car-related. The deep submenus of Porsche are difficult to discover - thanks to forums like this I could find out how to set things up, but it should have been easier. Yes, I rtfm but I did not find that one very clear either. Also my car was in the shop 25 days for the connectivity issue (still not solved( - I put that as first-year model car problem, but it is quite irritating to step into a cold car in winter when pre-heating should have worked....

My wife works from home now, so her model 3 performance is unused most of the time. I take it once couple weeks for short rides, and it impresses me as how nimble it is and how obvious the menus are. Also voice recognition is better in Tesla - even with someone with an accent - like myself. I still go back to the Taycan for every day use.

Range of the 4S is similar to the current model S performance, and better than the model 3 performance - see recent Edmunds range testing. I easily get 300 miles in summer, 200 miles in Minnesota winter. Charging is faster in the Taycan, but Walmart parking areas can be dodgy (most of Electrify America stations are there). Porsche has not lived to its promise of having 800V stations at the dealerships, which would solve most of the anxiety problems - hope they will.
Sponsored

Vik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P100DL
Country flag
Great thread and feedback! I have been lurking here for a while. Trying to decide if I can make the jump from my 2017 Model X P100DL to a Taycan 4S, but have been hesitant. Like most former Tesla owners here, I am not happy with the quality and customer service.

I test drove a 4S and was impressed overall, but it did not feel as fast as expected. This is likely due to me being used to a P100DL level of power (which in hindsight may not have been a good thing). I am thinking of supplementing the 4S with a Model Y Performance to balance out the utility that I will lose moving from a MX to a Taycan.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
My wife works from home now, so her model 3 performance is unused most of the time. I take it once couple weeks for short rides, and it impresses me as how nimble it is and how obvious the menus are.
I enjoyed the drive of the Model 3, but ended up with a Taycan twice the price. I think the best way to describe the Taycan is "addictive"

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
Hi All!

I am looking for anyone who has went from a Tesla Model S to the Taycan? Please provide some insight. Are you happy with the change?

I am frustrated with Tesla over:
Service
Communication
Build Quality
Long term dependability of the car

I love:
Telsa's Current Auto Pilot and other cutting edge tech.

I have test driven the Taycan 4S from a local dealership. I loved everything about it but they are very behind tesla on the driver assistance features (innodrive lane keep and adaptive cruise control. 1 Pedal Driving, the app, and some other things too) I am very worried I will miss the Tesla Autopilot as I drive about 30 mins a day each way to work. However, I love everything else much more about the Taycan. I know the Taycan much higher quality car.

Any feedback from owners who switched would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim
I just did this. I switched from a model S P100D (second Tesla I owned) to a Taycan Turbo S. The driver for the change was too many arguments with an arrogant service person whose last conversation tried to tell me issues I was having with my car (losing 15 miles of range a day while parked and locked) was normal (it is not, it only loses 1-3 max). Ot was clear they wanted to blame the user rather than fixing the issue.

I miss my autopilot and the Tesla software dearly, but I am happier with the Taycan.

The Tesla is an ok fast car car with an awesome software, the Taycan is an awesome fast car with. a terrible software.

Vince222

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 Tesla Model S
Country flag
I have driven my 2013 Tesla Model S (RWD) daily for 80,000 miles and have now driven my 4S with the big battery for a couple of months. There are some clear differences and similarities. The striking difference to me was the sensitivity of the accelerator pedal in the Tesla compared to the Taycan. I drive the Taycan in Normal mode mostly as others will. You get an immediate acceleration in the Tesla in the first 1/4 movement of the pedal. To get the same immediate torque acceleration in the Taycan, I need to go to 1/2 the pedal distance or more. So when moving from the Tesla to the Taycan, the Taycan seems disappointing. But those who do not have the Tesla experience will not have this feeling of disappointment, but it annoys me every time. I think this could be fixed in the Taycan with a software update. The closest I can get to the Tesla's immediate response is when I dial-in Sports or Sports+ mode, but it is still not the same, and I (and others) don't drive in that mode most of the time.

Other than that, I love the Taycan. It handles and feels like a Porsche. I do not like the way the Tesla handles at high speeds, it floats, while the Taycan is planted.

As far as range is concerned, my 2013 Tesla has a range of 256 miles at 100% charge; the new Tesla's are well above that. In my hands, the Taycan in Normal mode and 100% charge has a 300 mile range, and at 85% charge it is 281 miles which I am very happy about and unexpected because EPA estimated range on the Taycan was 200 miles.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Hi All!

I am looking for anyone who has went from a Tesla Model S to the Taycan? Please provide some insight. Are you happy with the change?

I am frustrated with Tesla over:
Service
Communication
Build Quality
Long term dependability of the car

I love:
Telsa's Current Auto Pilot and other cutting edge tech.

I have test driven the Taycan 4S from a local dealership. I loved everything about it but they are very behind tesla on the driver assistance features (innodrive lane keep and adaptive cruise control. 1 Pedal Driving, the app, and some other things too) I am very worried I will miss the Tesla Autopilot as I drive about 30 mins a day each way to work. However, I love everything else much more about the Taycan. I know the Taycan much higher quality car.

Any feedback from owners who switched would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim
I had an early i3 which was strong on one pedal driving and the frustration for me was not being able to ‘freewheel’. The Porsche Taycan lets you do this and apply the regen brake through the brake pedal which to me makes a lot of sense.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Consider that when you own a Porsche, you'll actually want to drive it ;)

Tesla and Porsche have polar opposite approaches to designing and building cars. Tesla's goal is to disconnect the driver from the car as much as possible. Porsche's goal is to connect the driver to the car as much as
Tesla makes the best EV
Porsche makes a better car that happens to be an EV - but not the best “EV”

Tesla makes software as well as Porsche makes vehicles
Porsche makes software as well as Tesla makes vehicles

pick your poison

I’ve owned 5 Teslas and appreciate them for their pros and their cons - it’s not all rosy - I’ve been a Tesla fan/victim/promoter/detractor/informed-observer since 2013 - they make really compelling cars and only the best competitors shine a light on Tesla’s weaknesses - all others are simply dumbstruck as Tesla rolls over their market segment.

for those “counting” - 2013 Model S P85 (26k miles), 2014 Model S P85D (54k miles), 2016 Model X P90D (12k miles - lemon), 2017 Model X P100D (50k miles lemon replacement), 2018 Model 3 Performance (32k miles) - so I’ve had my Tesla “experience”

I’ve decied to leave Elon-world for a bit - I might be back - but at the moment I’m saddened by a lack of “growth” in corp approach - you can grant a new start up with a compelling product some lee way as they are “learning” - but Tesla is still making the same rookie mistakes as they were in 2012 with regards to overall quality - no maturity demonstrated - so now I”m out but will be an interested bystander on the side lines...

Porsche brakes!!! no one does them better - and my Tesla’s all sucked - good thing you don‘t use them very much cause of regen

and Tesla brakes really really do suck - I’ve ”gotten into my Model S and Model X brakes” a few times - OMG they are soooooo horrible - I mean they stopped the car and all - but OMG the response was simply awful, terrible pedal feel and behavior (the pedal pulled away from my foot??? WTF????) - You really really don’t use the brakes that often in an EV and it’s a good think cause Tesla brakes are simply the worst.

Taycan is a great car, and has some room for growth in the tech department
Taycan is next level quiet on the road
And when I slam the door shut with the window down it doesn’t rattle inside the door cavity
  • I miss OTA updates
  • I miss Plug & charge
  • I miss a reliable fast charging network
  • I miss better charging control software (Schedule & amp control)
  • I love car play in the taycan
  • I miss an app that is actually functional
  • I love the drive quality of the Taycan
  • I love the quiet of the Taycan
  • I love the style of the Taycan
  • I love the fit & finish of the Taycan
  • I miss the functionality and cargo capacity of the hatch from the Model S
  • the range is similar on the two platforms
  • The taycan never fails to draw admirers
  • I miss the excellent in car EV centric navigation in the Tesla (charge stop planning and battery consumption trip estimates with burn down chart)
  • I like getting better than EPA estimated range in the Taycan
  • Did I tell you about Porsche Brakes? They are really really industry best.
  • I like not having to sort out truth from fiction on weekly basis as the world disects Elon’s tweets for what is truth and what is vision
  • Tesla price/value/performance equation is hard to beat
  • The Taycan costs too much, but so do all Porsches
  • It’s hard to nail down which car is quicker and when and how often - both manufactures are misleading in this space - both cars are quicker than most super cars even 3 years ago for a fraction of the price - in the end it doesn’t matter - you’ll be quicker that what ever is next you at a stop light for a very long time
over all the Taycan is slightly better, but needs Tesla nipping at it’s heels to show them the way forward and it’s not all roses over here either, but honestly I’m more comfortable with Taycan’s weaknesses than I am with Tesla’s strengths.

but honestly if you can afford either of these vehicles you’re doing too well and will be rewarded with a very very compelling 4 door sports sedan as your daily driver - frankly no one really needs either of these vehicles and the world wold be better off with “lesser” choices that are more purely functional.
Excellent summary. And I agree only the fortunate few will enjoy either car but used cars will be cheaper in just a few years time. And if you apply the logic of basic utility across everything the world becomes a very grey dull place, a little sunshine helps make life worthwhile.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Great thread and feedback! I have been lurking here for a while. Trying to decide if I can make the jump from my 2017 Model X P100DL to a Taycan 4S, but have been hesitant. Like most former Tesla owners here, I am not happy with the quality and customer service.

I test drove a 4S and was impressed overall, but it did not feel as fast as expected. This is likely due to me being used to a P100DL level of power (which in hindsight may not have been a good thing). I am thinking of supplementing the 4S with a Model Y Performance to balance out the utility that I will lose moving from a MX to a Taycan.
I very much agree that the race to ‘ludicrous’ 0-60 times is frankly dangerous. In nearly any normal driving conditions away from a track 0-60 time of anything under 4s is really nuts and in most hands dangerous.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
The Taycan has Apple CarPlay, and I can't imagine owning a car without it. Waze is a must-use when on the highway! (and not for navigation)
Can WAZE be set in the center screen on the cluster?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
You can only display CarPlay on the main PCM screen
Thanks. Would be awesome to have it in the main cluster! :)

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
And for anyone who thinks that the Tesla UI is better. I have two words. Apple CarPlay.
And I have 2 words in response to that: Fart App.

Tesla’s arrogance will be its downfall. It’s failure to acknowledge that it now has competition is painful to watch.
It doesn't care about "competition" since it caters to it's crowd. Fart App with poor quality and poorer service. The question is how big, loyal and sustainable is that crowd?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@Miwa just said no in cannot.
I think the term "center screen" here is being confused. You can only display CarPlay on the main PCM screen, which is the top screen in the center of the car. You cannot display CarPlay in the center of the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel.

Which makes sense, given the shape of things.
Sponsored