Switching from Telsa Model S to Taycan 4S. Feedback from anyone who has done this?!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
the Taycan is very consistent - but the Tesla numbers seem to be all over the map but never close to EPA numbers.
Before we sell the MS90D I would like to do one more test, driving both cars and then charge back up to 100% and take grid meter readings to compare the real consumption...

I love the RAS on my Taycan, but what impressed me the most so far is range calculation and reliability all the way to very low SoC. That instills so much confidence. After all, battery wise we all pretty much bought a pig in the poke. But after a few charge cycles and the official confirmation from the VW battery presentation, I am nothing but relieved.

Bertibasset

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi All!

I am looking for anyone who has went from a Tesla Model S to the Taycan? Please provide some insight. Are you happy with the change?

I am frustrated with Tesla over:
Service
Communication
Build Quality
Long term dependability of the car

I love:
Telsa's Current Auto Pilot and other cutting edge tech.

I have test driven the Taycan 4S from a local dealership. I loved everything about it but they are very behind tesla on the driver assistance features (innodrive lane keep and adaptive cruise control. 1 Pedal Driving, the app, and some other things too) I am very worried I will miss the Tesla Autopilot as I drive about 30 mins a day each way to work. However, I love everything else much more about the Taycan. I know the Taycan much higher quality car.

Any feedback from owners who switched would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim
Hi
Yes I had however the Tesla 3 performance and was going for the s only to find a massive wait of over a year so I went for the Taycan well impressed mind you the range stated when new is not much more than 200 mile bower does improve the big difference Tesla would show 300 mile after 40 Mile would show a range of 200 mile the Porsche is more realistic so I would say it up to around 300 mile but canno help to have a few worries.
The Porsche app compared to Tesla is a million miles behind Tesla so is the connection for music either Spotify or Apple .

the build quality is fantastic on Porsche as is the paint which Tesla is not service levels at Porsche are good ish . However after spending 108 k and thinking I had all needed to charge the car I had not I had a case with a 3 pin plug and a charger unit that would take days to charge the car . Didn’t realise you didn’t get the charger cable as standard like Tesla give you both.
My only grip with Porsche most of the staff have in built into them to slag Tesla. Tesla are a million miles ahead in technology than Porsche without doubt. However to sum up I prefer the Porsche to drive over the Tesla just make sur if you buy you spec up correct as some of the options are as much good as a handbrake on a canoe

Tiredoftesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S100D
Country flag
Hi All!

I am looking for anyone who has went from a Tesla Model S to the Taycan? Please provide some insight. Are you happy with the change?

I am frustrated with Tesla over:
Service
Communication
Build Quality
Long term dependability of the car

I love:
Telsa's Current Auto Pilot and other cutting edge tech.

I have test driven the Taycan 4S from a local dealership. I loved everything about it but they are very behind tesla on the driver assistance features (innodrive lane keep and adaptive cruise control. 1 Pedal Driving, the app, and some other things too) I am very worried I will miss the Tesla Autopilot as I drive about 30 mins a day each way to work. However, I love everything else much more about the Taycan. I know the Taycan much higher quality car.

Any feedback from owners who switched would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim
I am in process of doing the same thing, for the same reason. After eight years of driving them, I Just sold my second Tesla, an S100 D, and have ordered a 4S for July delivery. I have a very demanding 200 mile drive to a vacation home we make we make regularly with 6400 feet of vertical climb and twisty mountain roads. My Porsche dealer lent me a used 2020 turbo to prove it would make it and it actually performed equally or even better than to the MS driving at speed-75 mph for half the trip. On range, Tesla definitely overpromises and under delivers; Porsche does the complete opposite, and dramatically so. Driving that car 400 miles total the quality difference, in build quality and engineering, is obvious. This car is in a different league. I do not like auto pilot though so you and I have a different view of that.I did find the adaptive cruise control and lane usually was equal to the MS. And it actually has a rational Blindspot warning in the mirrors, and a heads up display, which I have seen in the 2021 is dazzling. That is something Tesla will never have.

Both cars are unique designs. Musk designed an entirely new concept, like Steve Jobs did with the iPhone: not a car with electric motors, but an electric car. Porsche did something entirely different like: they designed de novo an electric car as well, but one that drives exactly like a Porsche.

Sadly the Porsche can’t make fart noises.

Last edited:

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsches are Porsches... a driver's car.... first and foremost. If you want to be a passenger in your car while it drives (kinda) itself, stay with the Tesla... The look and feel of a Porsche is unique... plus I don't like to drive a car that is super common on the road... I see 20-30 Teslas a day in Vancouver...

MLD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I made the switch from Tesla Model S to Taycan Turbo about 6 weeks ago. I have no regrets and here were some of my likes/dislikes. The only meaningful dislike for me is the lack of relative speed for InnoDrive. With the Tesla, I could set the cruise control (I'm not talking about the autopilot, just cruise control) to keep my speed at something relative to the speed limit (say, 9 MPH over the speed limit). The Porsche salesman told me InnoDrive could do that also. Unless somebody knows how to do that, it does not appear to be a supported feature.

Tesla dislikes:
  • Wind noise
  • Lack of internal storage
  • The rain sensitive and/or intermittent wipers just never seem to get onto the right frequency in light rain
  • Apple integration is the absolute worst
  • The streaming radio capability is marginal at best. When listening to podcasts, I used to be able to skip ahead but that no longer worked and it lost my place so I would have to listen to the entire podcast in one go or not be assured of being to listen at all. At times, it just spins waiting to play the next song. I can't go backwards within a song or repeat one that's playing. So, it plays most of the time but really marginal functionality.
  • When using my phone with Tesla, it seems to then be connected and flipping through music sequencing at high speed from song to song
  • Voice recognition works or doesn’t, as it sees fit that day
  • No service capability and awful customer service. When something seems or is off, it's a real hassle.
  • The overreaction of cruise/AP to a car pulling in front or across. You get used to this one but it's still unnerving when a car turns across your lane hundreds of feet ahead of you and no human driver would even consider slowing down but Tesla slams on the brakes.
  • I seem to never sound good on the BT telephone connection.
  • The phone calls (and music?) play on the outside speakers when I’m stopped. This has been reported this to me many times before, as people can hear your whole conversation.
  • The duration of time between getting into the car and it being ready to go has been increasing and is now often irksome.
  • The number of times that a system reset appears to be required has also increased and is uncomfortable. The screen has gone dark a few times and none of the features has been available.
  • Seat comfort has just never been quite right and the adjustments don’t seem able to get me to the right position and remain there
  • Cup holder size and position make them impractical so I use the only storage place of note for liquid containers
  • I hate just leaving my iPhone to bounce around in the little area behind the console storage
  • The yellow border all around the center display is really unappealing and Tesla has said they will do nothing to replace or repair
  • The cooling system just doesn't work well. My wife has told me a few times that she is even feeling a little ill and has taken the system off of AUTO and tried to just push air out. Last year, Tesla also rolled out a new algorithm that apparently is intended to have some benefit for areas affected with forest fire smoke (like CA) that blows air at a high rate for the first few minutes of starting the car and it just doesn't seem to coincide with my liking.
Things I liked with Tesla that would make Taycan better:
  • Relative speed control with InnoDrive, as described above
  • Always on traffic display - the Taycan does show traffic but it appears to be just about only your route using the NAV system and nothing if you are just driving without using NAV
Things better with the Taycan that I did or didn't expect:
  • There is essentially no vampire battery drain with Taycan.
  • The range calculations are much, much more accurate with Taycan.
  • The Apple Music app on PCM. Since Tesla's relationship with Apple is the worst of any automotive OEM I've ever driven, I had gotten used to just not being able to use features in Tesla and could only use those when I rented cars (using Apple Car Play). Porsche & Apple Car Play works like any other but the dedicated Apple Music app has been excellent.
  • Ride quality and low noise is truly impressive
  • Very few speed sign/database errors so it really does know what they current speed limit is, unlike Tesla that had the incorrect speeds very often

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Coming to the Taycan by way of a Model S(2014-2018) and a Model 3 (2018-last week). If you love one-pedal driving, you’ll be disappointed in the Taycan as it handles regen much different than a Tesla. I’m getting ready to FoD LKA and Innodrive to my car, so I can’t elaborate much there but from what I experienced during the test drives, I’d echo what others have said here. From those brief experiences I personally am fine with those features. EAP in the M3 was constantly giving me phantom braking as a reaction to oncoming vehicles or turning vehicles that were way too far ahead of the car to require any action. So if you want and EAP or FSD-like experience you’ll be disappointed there too.

In terms of reliability/service, I’d liken Porsche to be maybe at the same point Tesla was say, c. 2012-2015 with the Model S. The 12V battery thing was deja vu, and Porsche seem to be experiencing some of the same teething pains in terms of intermittent WTF-like operational problems and supply chain issues. Where Tesla was (is?) limited in terms of service center locations, Porsche is not (relatively) constrained by location as much as they are by Taycan-qualified techs at those locations, coupled with requiring 15+ hours in some cases to perform major FW updates, etc. This is something I expect will improve over time with at least as good of a trajectory/tempo as Tesla did.

...oh, forgot to mention WIRELESS CARPLAY and Qi charging!

Net-net, If you’d like a comfortable, well-appointed car that you can actually drive when you want but also has some tedium reducing features for long drives, you will say “this is the car”. Goodnight. :)

Tiredoftesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S100D
Country flag
I made the switch from Tesla Model S to Taycan Turbo about 6 weeks ago. I have no regrets and here were some of my likes/dislikes. The only meaningful dislike for me is the lack of relative speed for InnoDrive. With the Tesla, I could set the cruise control (I'm not talking about the autopilot, just cruise control) to keep my speed at something relative to the speed limit (say, 9 MPH over the speed limit). The Porsche salesman told me InnoDrive could do that also. Unless somebody knows how to do that, it does not appear to be a supported feature.

Tesla dislikes:
  • Wind noise
  • The rain sensitive and/or intermittent wipers just never seem to get onto the right frequency in light rain
  • The streaming radio capability is marginal at best. When listening to podcasts, I used to be able to skip ahead but that no longer worked and it lost my place so I would have to listen to the entire podcast in one go or not be assured of being to listen at all. At times, it just spins waiting to play the next song. I can't go backwards within a song or repeat one that's playing. So, it plays most of the time but really marginal functionality.
  • When using my phone with Tesla, it seems to then be connected and flipping through music sequencing at high speed from song to song
  • No service capability and awful customer service. When something seems or is off, it's a real hassle.
  • The overreaction of cruise/AP to a car pulling in front or across. You get used to this one but it's still unnerving when a car turns across your lane hundreds of feet ahead of you and no human driver would even consider slowing down but Tesla slams on the brakes.
  • The phone calls (and music?) play on the outside speakers when I’m stopped. This has been reported this to me many times before, as people can hear your whole conversation.
  • The duration of time between getting into the car and it being ready to go has been increasing and is now often irksome.
  • The number of times that a system reset appears to be required has also increased and is uncomfortable. The screen has gone dark a few times and none of the features has been available.
  • Seat comfort has just never been quite right and the adjustments don’t seem able to get me to the right position and remain there
  • Cup holder size and position make them impractical so I use the only storage place of note for liquid containers
  • I hate just leaving my iPhone to bounce around in the little area behind the console storage
  • The yellow border all around the center display is really unappealing and Tesla has said they will do nothing to replace or repair
  • The cooling system just doesn't work well. My wife has told me a few times that she is even feeling a little ill and has taken the system off of AUTO and tried to just push air out. Last year, Tesla also rolled out a new algorithm that apparently is intended to have some benefit for areas affected with forest fire smoke (like CA) that blows air at a high rate for the first few minutes of starting the car and it just doesn't seem to coincide with my liking.
  • Always on traffic display - the Taycan does show traffic but it appears to be just about only your route using the NAV system and nothing if you are just driving without using NAV
  • The Apple Music app on PCM. Since Tesla's relationship with Apple is the worst of any automotive OEM I've ever driven, I had gotten used to just not being able to use features in Tesla and could only use those when I rented cars (using Apple Car Play). Porsche & Apple Car Play works like any other but the dedicated Apple Music app has been excellent.
  • Very few speed sign/database errors so it really does know what they current speed limit is, unlike Tesla that had the incorrect speeds very often
Your list is sooooo accurate.

• I made the switch from Tesla Model S to Taycan Turbo about 6 weeks ago. I have no regrets and here were some of my likes/dislikes. The only meaningful dislike for me is the lack of relative speed for InnoDrive. With the Tesla, I could set the cruise control (I'm not talking about the autopilot, just cruise control) to keep my speed at something relative to the speed limit (say, 9 MPH over the speed limit). The Porsche salesman told me InnoDrive could do that also. Unless somebody knows how to do that, it does not appear to be a supported feature.

Tesla dislikes:
    • Wind noise
    [*]Things I liked with Tesla that would make Taycan better:
    [*]Things better with the Taycan that I did or didn't expect:
    [*]
    your list of Tesla dislikes is sooooo accurate. Additions for me: an absurd BSW system in the instrument gauge and no HUD option. Having to pay an up charge for Sat Radio. The cruise distance control over reaction is possibly the most annoying thing ever. The boot up delay you cite is clear evidence that your MCU1 is failing. And what about the fact that it is impossible to phone a Tesla service center?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
And what about the fact that it is impossible to phone a Tesla service center?
It is IMPOSSIBLE to communicate to a service center. I read complaints online but didn't think it could be that hard until I owned one. Yikes.... :facepalm:

Tiredoftesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S100D
Country flag

Tesla dislikes:
  • Wind noise
"The only meaningful dislike for me is the lack of relative speed for InnoDrive."

See p187 in the 2021 Taycan Owners Manual. Its easier with the MS, but doesn't this do it?

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...2714&th=178bd7488c3c730a&view=att&disp=inline

Bluebeauty

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
For me the Taycan is a driver’s EV. A Tesla is a techy’s EV. Get the Taycan if you like to drive your car. Buy the Tesla if you want the car to drive (somewhat) for you.

Sums it up perfectly. Had a Tesla X for four years and it pushed me away from Tesla forever. Build quality issues, software issues, ergonomic issues. It accelerated pretty quickly but the back end rattled like a giant sack of marbles every time. And that's just the start of the irritations with it. My 4S, on the other hand, is a dream of a driver's car. If it didn't have a windshield I'd have bugs on my teeth from smiling all the time.

MLD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
"The only meaningful dislike for me is the lack of relative speed for InnoDrive."

See p187 in the 2021 Taycan Owners Manual. Its easier with the MS, but doesn't this do it?

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...2714&th=178bd7488c3c730a&view=att&disp=inline
The link didn't work for me but I went to my Owners Manual and I think I am looking at the correct page. It references "Setting the maximum speed". Is that the section to which you were referring?

If so, then "no, that doesn't do it". I thought it might at first as well but that setting instructs PID at what speed to drive if the PID has no detected speed limits. So, if you're driving on a country road and there have been no speed signs and the database of speeds doesn't have one for that road, the PID will set this speed as the desired speed.

If you were thinking of a different section, please quote the section title to me and I'll look it up. I'd love to see this function
Sponsored