Switching wheels+tires, anything special needed for TPMS?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I am going to switch between winter and summer tires. Both sets have Porsche TPMS installed. Once switched, anything special that I need to do to make the car read the new set of tire pressures, or will it just work?
Sponsored

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Go to the PCM and dig into vehicle settings to get a list of tires (eg summer, winter, size, etc.) and select whichever one you have just put on the car. Nothing "just works" (at least until we can buy iCars from Apple). Maybe try barking some commands at the PCM and see if the "Hey Porsche" girl can handle the assignment for you.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Go to the PCM and dig into vehicle settings to get a list of tires (eg summer, winter, size, etc.) and select whichever one you have just put on the car. Nothing "just works" (at least until we can buy iCars from Apple). Maybe try barking some commands at the PCM and see if the "Hey Porsche" girl can handle the assignment for you.
My PCM only gives me Summer and All Season 20" options, no "winter 20" option". I had the dealer install winter tires, they left it set at "all season", I would think they would know, right? To make things more complicated, I plant to move my winter tires to another set of wheels, so no change as far as tire type is concerned - same tires, just new TPMS. Futhermore, I will be switching between winter tires and all-season tires, but PCM only offers summer and all season options, but I have no plans to use summer tires at all at this time, just winter and all-season. I am not sure whether setting the type of tire determines some other parameters, so I don't want to set it to "summer tires" when driving "all-season tires".

Do you see "winter tires" as an option on your PCM?

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
My PCM only gives me Summer and All Season 20" options, no "winter 20" option". I had the dealer install winter tires, they left it set at "all season", I would think they would know, right? To make things more complicated, I plant to move my winter tires to another set of wheels, so no change as far as tire type is concerned - same tires, just new TPMS. Futhermore, I will be switching between winter tires and all-season tires, but PCM only offers summer and all season options, but I have no plans to use summer tires at all at this time, just winter and all-season. I am not sure whether setting the type of tire determines some other parameters, so I don't want to set it to "summer tires" when driving "all-season tires".

Do you see "winter tires" as an option on your PCM?
Just checked. I am currently on the setting "R20 Winter" so for sure there is a winter setting. Best advice: be patient, someone on this site will know what the best setting for all seasons would be. My guess is that the only real difference in PCM settings relates to when the little low-pressure warnings will sound. With Winter tires you tend to run lower tire pressure than with high performance summer tires. But tire pressure is tire pressure and I think the TPMS will give you an accurate reading regardless of what setting you choose.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just checked. I am currently on the setting "R20 Winter" so for sure there is a winter setting.
Is this the menu where you see it? I only get the following settings, (there is no scrolling available, I tried scrolling down, nothing moves). Or is there some other setting for me to set the the winter tires on?
Porsche Taycan Switching wheels+tires, anything special needed for TPMS? 1676981561199

EDIT: Nevermind. I just realized I have to kill the "Measuring above 15mph" message by hitting the X to see the last option, which is "R20 Winter".

So will switching to another tire make it learn new TPMS again?

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Is this the menu where you see it? I only get the following settings, (there is no scrolling available, I tried scrolling down, nothing moves). Or is there some other setting for me to set the the winter tires on?
1676981561199.png

EDIT: Nevermind. I just realized I have to kill the "Measuring above 15mph" message by hitting the X to see the last option, which is "R20 Winter".

So will switching to another tire make it learn new TPMS again?
Yes - give it a whirl!

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes - give it a whirl!
It worked. 👍Took 8-10miles of driving, but the car learned a new set of TPMS sensors (I swapped wheels, so they were not the same TMPS sensors as before).
Sponsored