RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
Saw today that Tag announced a connected watch with a special Porsche collaboration:

https://www.tagheuer.com/us/en/smar...tag-heuer-connected/45-mm/SBR8A82.EB0264.html

I used to wear a nice Tag and a few other nice watches, but they now sit in my closet gathering dust because I wear my Apple Watch every day. Thinking about this as an alternative as I like the look of it. Do any of you have a Tag smartwatch? Does the health info sync to an iPhone (that's why I wear my Apple Watch over my mechanical watches)? Does this pair with all model years of Taycan (it says it pairs with a J1 Taycan)? Just curious what everyone's thoughts are....
Sponsored

Schn3ll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera e-hybrid, 2018 Carrera T, 2012 Volt
Country flag
Not exactly clear what data syncs with the car. The time? Hahah

I have never been a fan of Tag, and this watch seems to be overpriced by about $2,500 for me to buy one. I’ll stick with mechanical watches and G-Shocks. Almost $3k for a digital watch… insanity, definitely trying to capitalize on the “Porsche Tax”

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Love my Heuer Carrera and Formula 1 watches, but would have zero interest in any of their eWatches. You can get a better smart watch much cheaper.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
This appears to show some of the car orientated complications:

Porsche Taycan Tag Heuer Connected Porsche Watch Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 19.20.56

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Saw today that Tag announced a connected watch with a special Porsche collaboration:

https://www.tagheuer.com/us/en/smar...tag-heuer-connected/45-mm/SBR8A82.EB0264.html

I used to wear a nice Tag and a few other nice watches, but they now sit in my closet gathering dust because I wear my Apple Watch every day. Thinking about this as an alternative as I like the look of it. Do any of you have a Tag smartwatch? Does the health info sync to an iPhone (that's why I wear my Apple Watch over my mechanical watches)? Does this pair with all model years of Taycan (it says it pairs with a J1 Taycan)? Just curious what everyone's thoughts are....
I think the watch is cool but I cant justify the price. I can wrap my head around the price of the car because of how many design, performance and luxury boxes it ticks. I think it would be in Tag and Porsche’s best interest to bring the cost premium above an Apple Watch to something more modest. I could go as high as around 1500 USD or so (if it does nearly all the Apple Watch stuff and talks with the car)…beyond that, I just can’t justify it in my head.

Schn3ll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera e-hybrid, 2018 Carrera T, 2012 Volt
Country flag
Honestly I'm also kinda disappointed in Porsche. Tag is kind of low-end nowadays and you pay for their expansive marketing campaigns in the inflated pricing of their highly mediocre watches.

Now if Porsche did a collaboration with some real haute horology, then the collectors would really go crazy. But the Porsche Design watches and this Tag are not what I think of when I think luxury watches that I would purchase.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
A couple of things put me off.

Its a bit big for my taste. 45mm and quite thick.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7736

My current daily wear is a Garmin Quatix. I use it for daily activity tracking as well as running, cycling, swimming, triathlon, sailing, golf, etc. It cost ~$1,100 including a titanium band and can hold a 14 day charge. For this watch to be worth $2,500 to me, it would need to all of that plus a whole lot more. If, for example, it could be used as the key for the car instead of the fob, that might be interesting for certain times where I don't want to carry the fob (out for a run or bike ride, for example). But from what I've read so far... no interest.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I have to say I like that more than I thought I would. But not at that price. And some extra functionality as above would be nice. Maybe one day. If Tesla do it everyone will follow (someone will now correct me with a link to a Tesla smartwatch)

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Obscenely overpriced, mediocre looks. And one day battery life! That alone is enough for me to avoid any smart watch, even one made by a "premium" brand. Frustrating, annoying and quickly you'll get bored of it.

I have been holding off for almost a decade waiting for a smartwatch that doesn't need charging every other day.

This year, Garmin finally delivered.

My first watch purchase in over 10 years is the Garmin Epix 2. Love it. 16 days battery life on a full charge and when I use it for outdoor pursuits - with all features and GPS active - you get 6 days.

It has made things like speed hiking safer and even more enjoyable. Daily monitoring of health metrics is also interesting.

Cost £900, which is a lot for a smartwatch, but it too has sapphire glass, titanium case and OLED screen. It's a good looking watch. Superior software and mapping compared to other smartwatches as well.

This Tag exists because they know Porsche buyers will spend £800 on some paint, £700 on a clock face, £300 on some faux suede material, and £2,500 on some terrible looking carbon inserts.

What is another £2,250 on a woefully useless smartwatch with one day battery life?

It's a gimmick for people with more money than sense.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Porsche would be better off focusing on bringing My Porsche to Apple Watch (for way less investment, effort and cost) and then bringing Apple CarKey to Apple Wallet.

Then when they've experimented on Apple's (and Google's) platforms they could consider their own hardware.

I think I'd prefer a mechanical watch (for time keeping) with some electronic functionality (car key, car stats) then this entirely digital watch with questionable battery life.

I do believe that Aston Martin and Jaeger-LeCoultre did something like this for a ridiculous price.

But Porsche Design should be able to build something quite integrated and interesting – if they were a little more ambitious.