Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Folks, like many of you, I received the email and letter regarding the latest recall (loss of motive power glitch). I said “ok, sounds bad, but no rush to get it into the dealer.” So I made an appt in a couple of weeks. Well, driving back home today from 180 miles away, just before getting on the highway (luckily!), I experienced a very startling “loss of motive power” - and was able to pull over and stop without much fanfare. Turning power off and on “fixed it” and I spent the rest of the trip white knuckled in the slow lane. But if I were on Interstate 95 doing 80mph in the fast lane?!? Luckily I don’t know what would have happened but it wouldn’t have been awesome. So: PSA: get those Taycan’s in ASAP. That sh*t is real and scary. MY20 4S delivered in Oct 2020.
Sponsored

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Folks, like many of you, I received the email and letter regarding the latest recall (loss of motive power glitch). I said “ok, sounds bad, but no rush to get it into the dealer.” So I made an appt in a couple of weeks. Well, driving back home today from 180 miles away, just before getting on the highway (luckily!), I experienced a very startling “loss of motive power” - and was able to pull over and stop without much fanfare. Turning power off and on “fixed it” and I spent the rest of the trip white knuckled in the slow lane. But if I were on Interstate 95 doing 80mph in the fast lane?!? Luckily I don’t know what would have happened but it wouldn’t have been awesome. So: PSA: get those Taycan’s in ASAP. That sh*t is real and scary. MY20 4S delivered in Oct 2020.
@Schlossj appreciate the heads up. Glad you are safe.
Was going to wait until October with snow tire swap and registration renewal. Your post has encouraged me to get it in earlier.
My 4S purchased last fall July 2020 delivery has been flawless until yesterday.
No LTE, blue tooth or wifi connection possible. Porsche Connect app not updating.
Tried PCM reset, locking car, delete app reinstall etc... techniques mentioned on the forum threads. No joy.
Hoping this is not the beginning of issues.

Last edited:
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I experienced loss of power few months ago, but apparently Taycans in Canada are OK, no letters from Porsche about this recall and dealership in Winnipeg doesn’t know anything about it

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
I experienced loss of power few months ago, but apparently Taycans in Canada are OK, no letters from Porsche about this recall and dealership in Winnipeg doesn’t know anything about it
My dealer knew nothing about the AMB5 safety recall two weeks ago when I called them and told them I had searched my VIN# and it was recalled.
Three days ago I received a snail mail letter about the recall and an email two days ago.
Yours may still be in the mail.

Last edited:

Spd_Tkt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 4S, 20 Jeep JLUR, 14 991.1 C2S-MT, 13 BMW K16GT
Country flag
Based on information from this forum, I scheduled my update about 2 weeks before the Porsche/NHTSA safety recall notice arrived. When I first scheduled the appointment, my dealer thought the update could take to up to 4-6 hours. When I checked in for the update two days ago, the service advisor said it would take about 1 -1/2 hours. My 4S was manufactured in April 2021, delivered about 2 months ago. Its software was already reasonably up to date. I did have the car back in about an hour.

I am glad to have this update completed.

KenTO

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I picked up my car 2 weeks ago, would the software update already have been installed? No letter so far.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
I picked up my car 2 weeks ago, would the software update already have been installed? No letter so far.
Not to deviate from the OP's thread but as a 4S owner in Canada just thought I'd share my recent experience. My Taycan is a May 2021 build, took delivery in early July 2021. It's a 4S (MY2021) with Perf.Batt+, no other performance options.

When I heard of the recall, I logged into the Porsche official website to search my VIN. The Porsche servers said my vehicle was NOT affected.

A week later I got a letter from Porsche Canada insisting that my vehicle WAS part of the recall. I made an appointment at the dealer the following week.

The next day my phone rang and the local service manager said I DID NOT need to come in. My car was built with the newer software supposedly. It was confusing, but I accepted his explanation.

My advice would be go go ahead and make an appt with Porsche Winnipeg and go from there. Your vehicle would already be listed in the Mothership and the manager would run the VIN properly. If you don't need the critical update, they should let you know -- or ask them directly.

There seems to be a lot of growing pains with Porsche on this important software issue.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
similar experience: AMB5 and Serendipity | Porsche Taycan Forum - TaycanForum.com

Olli-X

First Name
Oli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
This morning at 6:20 am on a German country side road while driving about 95 km/h my 4s experienced a surprising power loss together with the message to stop the car immediately. I can confirm that I was a bit scared.
Because of a letter from Porsche I had already organised the update AMB5 for the 6th September at the dealer before this happened. But now I am a little bit concerned about not being able to receive the update before September. The dealer in Hamburg told me today that they cannot do it earlier.
Last year my 4s had two times a "system failure" so that it did not move at all.
All together the car was more than 6 -7days at the service since Feb. 2020. Honestly, I am disappointed about the quality. I have never experienced this with other cars before, including electric cars.

Did anyone get a kind of compensation offer from Porsche?

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This morning at 6:20 am on a German country side road while driving about 95 km/h my 4s experienced a surprising power loss together with the message to stop the car immediately. I can confirm that I was a bit scared.
Because of a letter from Porsche I had already organised the update AMB5 for the 6th September at the dealer before this happened. But now I am a little bit concerned about not being able to receive the update before September. The dealer in Hamburg told me today that they cannot do it earlier.
Last year my 4s had two times a "system failure" so that it did not move at all.
All together the car was more than 6 -7days at the service since Feb. 2020. Honestly, I am disappointed about the quality. I have never experienced this with other cars before, including electric cars.

Did anyone get a kind of compensation offer from Porsche?
very surprised that you have had the actual issue (as I did also) and they won't do the update sooner. That was not my experience. Perhaps a complaint to Stuttgart?

Olli-X

First Name
Oli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
very surprised that you have had the actual issue (as I did also) and they won't do the update sooner. That was not my experience. Perhaps a complaint to Stuttgart?
Yes, I have sent a letter to the after sales management in Stuttgart because of this and other issues that happened over the last 18 months.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Not to deviate from the OP's thread but as a 4S owner in Canada just thought I'd share my recent experience. My Taycan is a May 2021 build, took delivery in early July 2021. It's a 4S (MY2021) with Perf.Batt+, no other performance options.

When I heard of the recall, I logged into the Porsche official website to search my VIN. The Porsche servers said my vehicle was NOT affected.

A week later I got a letter from Porsche Canada insisting that my vehicle WAS part of the recall. I made an appointment at the dealer the following week.

The next day my phone rang and the local service manager said I DID NOT need to come in. My car was built with the newer software supposedly. It was confusing, but I accepted his explanation.

My advice would be go go ahead and make an appt with Porsche Winnipeg and go from there. Your vehicle would already be listed in the Mothership and the manager would run the VIN properly. If you don't need the critical update, they should let you know -- or ask them directly.

There seems to be a lot of growing pains with Porsche on this important software issue.
I’m in Canada and got the letter on the 3rd. I have booked an appointment for the 23rd even though the website says my car won’t be impacted. The service department says they need the car for 2 or 3 days. I don’t think that should be the case based on the information here but didn’t argue with them. I booked the appointment online and traded emails back and forth to setup the best day. The service so far has been great - offered loaner or rental (I don’t really need one so won’t take up a valuable loaner from someone else that may need it more). Fingers crossed I don’t run into the issue before Monday and that everything goes well.

Fcassells

First Name
Fraser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Another Canadian here late to the party, just got the letter in the mail and made an appointment at Vancouver Porsche , the earliest they can get me in is October 18th. I expressed concern at the wait and they suggested I try another dealership, I logged onto their online booking and setup an appointment myself for Oct 6th.

not super happy with the service dept AGAIN. Oh well, here’s hoping I don’t stuff myself into a powerless dive off the 99hwy at speed. ?

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another Canadian here late to the party, just got the letter in the mail and made an appointment at Vancouver Porsche , the earliest they can get me in is October 18th. I expressed concern at the wait and they suggested I try another dealership, I logged onto their online booking and setup an appointment myself for Oct 6th.

not super happy with the service dept AGAIN. Oh well, here’s hoping I don’t stuff myself into a powerless dive off the 99hwy at speed. ?
I got a same day appointment the hard way: I had an actual failure and then whined pretty hard!
Sponsored