SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
I really have no idea. Maybe “go slow, you are below 10% charge”?
The turtle symbol is energy protect mode that limits the max speed once you go below a certain percentage of charge usually 10% or 5%
Sponsored

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
The turtle symbol is energy protect mode that limits the max speed once you go below a certain percentage of charge usually 10% or 5%
Ok. Cool. My guess was pretty close. Thanks.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you are passing by London, Ontario I'll buy you a meal/drink and get you charged if you need a break. Thanks for doing this no matter as it's very fun (and helpful for my future!). Enjoy man.
Thank you. I’m in Pembroke tonight, but tomorrow I’m headed north west, up towards Thunder Bay, (north of the great lakes for anyone unfamiliar with Ontario)

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So far, which app has been the most helpful and accurate, I was going to use a better planner because it looked easier to use. Got any site seeing planned for tomorrow?
“A Better Planner” is the start. Then I’m using google maps, and Petro-Canada’s maps of their EV stations which cover the rest of my drive westward on the Trans Canadian Highway.
No particular plans for tomorrow. Just miles and random stop for pretty pictures.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does it report average speed?
Or do you at least estimate your speed during longer highway stretches?
The iOS app summarized the day. I guess I went a little faster in my last 70 miles. Kicked the average up passing some slow cars.

Day 1 :

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 81AA0F39-6EB6-4976-9C72-758DB66F618D

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my figurative popcorn is out for the next six weeks! This is what 4-door Porsches are meant for -- long-distance driving! I like to see Porsche owners putting lots of miles on their cars like this. I put 10k miles on my Panamera with a cross-country drive the first four months after I bought it new in 2018. I put 13k miles on my Macan in the first 7 months of owning it, again with a cross-country road trip in there. I'm not sure I'd have the guts to do it in a BEV, yet. But my popcorn is next to me as I follow your travels with keen interest and not a little bit of envy.

Please keep us apprised each day as to what kind of range you're getting, with ambient air temperatures specified, and how often you're stopping (in terms of miles or km) to charge up.
Cars are for driving! I own no garage Queens.

I’m collecting all that data in a spreadsheet for every stop. Ambient temps, charge time, initial SoC, initial battery temp, etc.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
The iOS app summarized the day. I guess I went a little faster in my last 70 miles. Kicked the average up passing some slow cars.

Day 1 :

81AA0F39-6EB6-4976-9C72-758DB66F618D.jpeg
seeing the world in a new Porsche taycan, you are living the dream, seems like a lot of chargers (some free) in Toronto, ever use this app just found it.

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal IMG_7033.PNG

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
“A Better Planner” is the start. Then I’m using google maps, and Petro-Canada’s maps of their EV stations which cover the rest of my drive westward on the Trans Canadian Highway.
No particular plans for tomorrow. Just miles and random stop for pretty pictures.
Lou, A Better Route Planner is very good for initial planning, but I do suggest also checking PlugShare to read any recent reviews of the target stations. It can save you headaches, it has for me.

Last edited:

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
As you ratchet up all these miles and get to spend hours in the car it would be great to start a list of early release OS bugs, like not having EV lcharging stations in Navi , weird setting configurations like dimming ambient light setting, non Or missing functions “HomeLink” sync. Will be interesting to see if you get any OTA updates along the way too...

fantasma

First Name
Sven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M550i, Porsche Cayman GT4, Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Mk II
Country flag
Ok. Apparently this Nav just has a serious case of The Dumb. I tell it I want to go to a destination. It’s supposed to be smart enough to find the EV charging stations along the way. Nope.

But, when I get out on the highway, it has this cute little icon “DC” to show me it actually does know about DC Fast stations.

Good thing I have an app called “A Better Route Planner”. It tells me where the stations are. But then I have to hand-enter each one into the Nav.

So here I am... in Brossard. Outside Montreal. In a Mall parking lot. Recharging. When I saw the name of the town, I just had to stop. Some people will understand why.

I’m sitting outside to get good cellular signal. It’s 20°F. Someone just walked by and asked me something in french. He pointed to the sun. I guess he was commenting on me “getting some sun”. I nodded and said yes. Oui.
93C68671-3AFC-4F07-926D-546D2E251B80.jpeg
Hi this thread is really interesting. One question for @louv , do you have the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager option?

Thanks in advance,

Sven

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi this thread is really interesting. One question for @louv , do you have the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager option?

Thanks in advance,

Sven
Yes. I bought it vis the Connect Store. So far, I see no benefit (because the Nav seems to have problems finding DC Fast chargers in its own database)

maybe I’m doing something wrong.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As you ratchet up all these miles and get to spend hours in the car it would be great to start a list of early release OS bugs, like not having EV lcharging stations in Navi , weird setting configurations like dimming ambient light setting, non Or missing functions “HomeLink” sync. Will be interesting to see if you get any OTA updates along the way too...
I started that list on Day One of ownership. I’m waiting to hear where Porsche wants me to send them. Private email or public posting. :)

The Nav said it got OTA map updates yesterday. Five times!

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
seeing the world in a new Porsche taycan, you are living the dream, seems like a lot of chargers (some free) in Toronto, ever use this app just found it.

IMG_7033.PNG
Yes, I have that app too. Their data seems to be crowd-sourced, so the quality of the data is hit and miss. Lots of missing information. But it is nicely presented.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Baby, it’s cold outside. 7°F last night when I parked the car, and checked into a hotel. -8°F now, as I wake up. The car will be recharged and pre-heated when I get in in an hour or so.

“Do you have Electric Vehicle charging stations at this hotel?”

“Yes! They are around back!”

I was shocked. I picked this hotel at random. And a google search of the area didn’t show these.

I check in, the pull around back. Oh. There are two Tesla Destination Chargers. Basically what a tesla owner would have in their garage. Not a Supercharger. But... they have the Tesla proprietary connector, which does not fit my Porsche...

...unless you have an adapter. Which I do. Thank goodness I read about these online a couple of weeks ago. Some guy in California manufactures an adapter. So I bought one. It’s called TeslaTap, and it costs about $200. (Plus or minus depending on Amperage capacity: 40, 50, or 80A) Totally worth it to carry one in the frunk.

So as I slept, the car recharged. It won’t quite be at 100%, because it’s also keeping the car warm in subzero temperatures.

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 3D4DD9B2-21F2-4A1D-BAE2-53286C8110B4
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal FD668834-7BA6-44D5-B36F-8C3FB5BEA411
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 7EE08C6A-5DE0-4687-802D-F4B4E7ABB393