louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Unfortunately I expect they’ll find nothing wrong with the car and just suggest you charge level 2 for the rest of your trip. Be prepared for that.....
I have pretty high confidence that’s not an answer I’d get. As that would be unacceptable. And embarrassing to them.
Sponsored

Mhoepfin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
One other suggestion. As I mentioned I drive a Model S and usually just supercharge on trips but I also have a Chademo adaptor that I use in some instances at the Electrify America stations. One thing I‘ve noticed is they can be really picky about the order I do things. Plug in, authenticate through the app and then hit continue on the station screen. If I don’t do it in this exact order it will not start charging and I’ll get what appears to be charging error messages. Just wanted to throw this out there as a cause for weird errors.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
its a technical issue that will be fixed - the only variable here is time - its not like it cant work - it has been working - but it may take time and parts to resolve. Porsche should be smart enough to expedite any solution.

Mhoepfin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
its a technical issue that will be fixed - the only variable here is time - its not like it cant work - it has been working - but it may take time and parts to resolve. Porsche should be smart enough to expedite any solution.
I only mentioned this because the dealer may be left with no faults to work with, unless the car was indicating something broken other than the comms error with the charging station.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One other suggestion. As I mentioned I drive a Model S and usually just supercharge on trips but I also have a Chademo adaptor that I use in some instances at the Electrify America stations. One thing I‘ve noticed is they can be really picky about the order I do things. Plug in, authenticate through the app and then hit continue on the station screen. If I don’t do it in this exact order it will not start charging and I’ll get what appears to be charging error messages. Just wanted to throw this out there as a cause for weird errors.
Yes, I’ve learned to do things in a particular order. Or try other orders at new, unfamiliar stations. It’s a learning process, and nothing in the eco-system is bulletproof. Yet.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am hoping BMW can reboot their chargers so you can test @louv . I see good reports on plugshare.
They are the only close DCFC
The Flo charger at Canadian Tire is an option. But the BMW location (ChargePoint) might be fine, it wasn’t clear from the brief, two-word error message if the fault was in the station or the car.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Part of the issue with EA and other DC fast charging is the degree of voodoo and unreliability and hoops we jump through to get it to "work." The model should be a gas station, I do not go to a gas station, try 5 times with different pumps, start/stop the car, jiggle the handle etc. And if a gas station is out it is NOT out for days or weeks or am told to try to pump gas into another car.

We are early adopters, we deal with complexity, this HAS to work for "grandma" before EVs will be taken seriously.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Part of the issue with EA and other DC fast charging is the degree of voodoo and unreliability and hoops we jump through to get it to "work." The model should be a gas station, I do not go to a gas station, try 5 times with different pumps, start/stop the car, jiggle the handle etc. And if a gas station is out it is NOT out for days or weeks or am told to try to pump gas into another car.

We are early adopters, we deal with complexity, this HAS to work for "grandma" before EVs will be taken seriously.
I agree 100%. And I’m positive that’s why Porsche and Electrify America (and hopefully others) are paying very close attention to this saga.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche of Calgary is on top of it, and are treating me very well. I just chatted with my Service advisor, the Service Manager, and the GM of the dealership.

Porsche Corporate (Germany) has contacted the dealership, and their engineers have now been fed data logs from the car. Analysis is in progress.

The dealership has given me a loaner Macan. Roadside assistance will pay for my hotel here under “trip interruption” coverage. If it looks like the car will be here a few days, they have given me permission to take the loaner up to Banff for a couple of days.

They are developing a plan on testing both AC and DC Fast charging after they fix it (or reset it, or whatever). Since they weren’t prepared to be working on these yet, their DC charge testing will need to take place elsewhere... like, at the nearby BMW dealership.

No one at the dealership, other than the GM, had ever seen a Taycan in person prior to today. So they were surprised when mine was parked here this morning. I threw them a big curve, and they are taking it totally in stride.

Respect.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
Porsche of Calgary is on top of it, and are treating me very well. I just chatted with my Service advisor, the Service Manager, and the GM of the dealership.

Porsche Corporate (Germany) has contacted the dealership, and their engineers have now been fed data logs from the car. Analysis is in progress.

The dealership has given me a loaner Macan. Roadside assistance will pay for my hotel here under “trip interruption” coverage. If it looks like the car will be here a few days, they have given me permission to take the loaner up to Banff for a couple of days.

They are developing a plan on testing both AC and DC Fast charging after they fix it (or reset it, or whatever). Since they weren’t prepared to be working on these yet, their DC charge testing will need to take place elsewhere... like, at the nearby BMW dealership.

No one at the dealership, other than the GM, had ever seen a Taycan in person prior to today. So they were surprised when mine was parked here this morning. I threw them a big curve, and they are taking it totally in stride.

Respect.
good customer service is exactly how it should be mate, how many miles into your trip are you?

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag

Respect.
I keep imagining what would look like if it was the "new" Ford Mustang EV (for example). What other brand would give you such amazing customer service? Yeah, we pay a premium for a Porsche. And then we get treated like a valued customer. It's worth it.

Last edited:

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag

Respect.
Very happy to hear Porsche is on top of this. As you said, I'm sure they realize you are blazing new trails here Don and want to make sure you're a satisfied owner.

Bikergal

First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 Boxster S, 2014 Cayenne
Country flag
Any chance it’s only looking for ‘fast’ charger locations? This is unsettling as it will be a 1500 mile trip once my car comes in to get it home.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Very promising! We are all waiting for this outcome and are thrilled that this is being worked on well before I get mine in September.
Sponsored