epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well good luck, here is wishes of fast chargers behaving and many kilowatts per hour to you and your Taycan...
Sponsored

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
At the minimum Don, it sounds like you were well treated by Porsche of Calgary. My gut feel it probably was a car/charger incompatibility issue and not an issue specifically with your car, but that was just a guess. I think the fact that the car logs didn't show an issue with the car itself (and confirmed by the factory) is a really good thing.

Next leg of the journey starting with a nice clean (and charged) car. Hopefully a little less drama tomorrow than today.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
At the minimum Don, it sounds like you were well treated by Porsche of Calgary. My gut feel it probably was a car/charger incompatibility issue and not an issue specifically with your car, but that was just a guess. I think the fact that the car logs didn't show an issue with the car itself (and confirmed by the factory) is a really good thing.

Next leg of the journey starting with a nice clean (and charged) car. Hopefully a little less drama tomorrow than today.
Thanks. Yes, I guess it’s all good, if mysterious. I prefer to know whose software has the bugs... and how to avoid them!

Tomorrow. Less drama would be good. If anything it’ll be weather related. There’s a big snow storm coming through.

Last edited:

AlexL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Subscribed here thanks to this post. Sounds like a great adventure!
So they checked logs, did they check the actual plug hardware?Moderately bent pins may act up at different temps

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Subscribed here thanks to this post. Sounds like a great adventure!
So they checked logs, did they check the actual plug hardware?Moderately bent pins may act up at different temps
Interesting thought. I’ll ask when I pick up the car tomorrow morning.

axyprang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Boxster
Country flag
Interesting thought. I’ll ask when I pick up the car tomorrow morning.
It looks like on your map you'll be making it to Vancouver Island? Would love the chance to meet up if you do and check out your car. Any idea when you plan to make it here?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So @louv now with all you know is it even clear that the Taycan had any problem at all? I.e. was it just flakey infrastructure at registration for FLO and broken charger at BMW and low power at chargers in front of the Porsche dealership? Followed by some concerns with a brand new car. :rolleyes:

Rizvi

First Name
Zishan Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Toyota Rav 4, BMW 328xi Touring, Porsche passport, Smart ForTwo Electric Drive
Country flag
Hey, just wanted to wish you well. I've been watching this thread and reading about your ordeal and progress from Toronto. I'm very interested in the Taycan, but I'm going to wait for the sport tourismo (wagon) to arrive.

Glad things are starting to look up and I hope that trend continues for the rest of your adventure.

Best

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So @louv now with all you know is it even clear that the Taycan had any problem at all? I.e. was it just flakey infrastructure at registration for FLO and broken charger at BMW and low power at chargers in front of the Porsche dealership? Followed by some concerns with a brand new car. :rolleyes:
Ron,

Your summary nailed it.

Porsche’s investigation concluded there’s nothing wrong with the car. It was a coincidence of 3 of “bad” charging stations.

Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It looks like on your map you'll be making it to Vancouver Island? Would love the chance to meet up if you do and check out your car. Any idea when you plan to make it here?
That was my original intention. However due to the delay in Calgary (and the big snow storm I’m about to drive through... or take shelter from... ) I don’t have time to get out to the island and visit Tofino.
I’ll probably be in Vancouver late tomorrow and Thursday. I have dinner plans Thursday and a maybe a visit to Porsche Vancouver around lunchtime.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
can you produce a map with your planned charging stations?
Sorry for the delayed reply...

No, because it will probably change along the way. Minor changes in plan would have a cascading effect. There isn’t an easy way to coordinate and publish that data. My time is already consumed by just finding the next station and telling the car to go towards it. And planning the real purpose of doing this drive: Visiting friends.

Afterwards, when I have time, I can produce a map of where I was.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well, if I am in your shoes I would much rather have the “coincidence” of bad stations and completely healthy and reliable car over any other explanation. I would feel pretty confident if the logs showed nothing that the car is failing, somehow this car seems way to well thought out to “fail” without logging its failures.

Taycan2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Vogue SE & Mercedes S-Class
Country flag
Hey Louv, just wanted to say this journal and adventure is absolutely fantastic and wish you all the best out there, enjoy it!

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Don (@louv),

Appreciate all of your commentary and data. I have a friend who is a Field Tech Support Manager for PCNA and asked him if he was aware of this thread. He's VERY customer-service oriented and I'm sure now that he knows, he'll be watching.

When you get to Texas, if you drive through the Dallas/Fort Worth area, breakfast/lunch/dinner/beers whatever is on me. Good luck and stay safe!!

Toby Pennycuff
Dallas, TX

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Great thread Don, thanks for allowing us all to share your road trip. Good luck!!!
Sponsored