Szabol

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata, outback, Edge
Country flag
I have enjoyed riding along and commend you for this adventure, especially in these pioneer days of EV. Some takeaways for me
KWH/mile as the new mpg
YMMV applies to EV as it does to FFV (fossil fuel Vehicles)
The on board apps only list fast charge stations
AFV (alternate fuel vehicles) are inevitable
There seems to be either poor standards in charging station designs, or there needs to be standard physical testing of stations to ensure reliable charging.

Compared to a century ago, you don’t require a “mechanic” on board. Maybe an electrical engineer.

The Uk has plans to stop selling FFVs in 2035, and outlaw them in 2050, I read or saw somewhere.

I can see road racing turn into a long series of “whoosh, squeal, repeat as necessary.”. Pit stops will be 30 minutes and they’ll serve Espresso and small sandwiches with a cucumber slice on top Whole the car recharges.
Sponsored

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Don - I heard about your cross-country trip over on Rennlist and joined this forum to ride (virtual) shotgun with you! Thanks for including all of us all on your adventure!

Frank
Welcome aboard!

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This will be the slippery part. After a wonderful, luxurious, friendly, comforting stay in the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, this morning I shall continue my trek towards Vancouver.

I don’t expect to get there today, as there’s a big snow storm coming through the Rockies. I’ll drive for as long as it is safe and sane, and then find a motel. Perhaps in the town of Donald. Or Salmon Arm. Or Kamloops. I am not making this up.

Tally ho!
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 30FEF05D-BB39-48EC-81D3-4DE6022B223D
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal D863B082-8F96-4471-BE0E-43AB90210A2E

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
Don, When you get a chance perhaps at one of you next charging sessions can you let us know your thought on the following...

Does your car have heated / cooling massage seats? If so how are they?
Does the car have driver exit option ie: moves the seat back steering wheel up when you get out
Do you use the trackpad or touch screen to access most features
How is the Infotainment system to use
Speaker sound do you like it
Are there any features you love that you didn't even know the car had
Are there and features the car has you hate…
Are you using the favorite buttons, if so what setting did you put on each one. Is there a double-tap second function memory for either (the eTron could do two push once for one function tap twice to a different function)

wreighven2015

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model X LR+, 2012 Porsche Cayenne, 2014 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4
Country flag
This will be the slippery part. After a wonderful, luxurious, friendly, comforting stay in the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, this morning I shall continue my trek towards Vancouver.

I don’t expect to get there today, as there’s a big snow storm coming through the Rockies. I’ll drive for as long as it is safe and sane, and then find a motel. Perhaps in the town of Donald. Or Salmon Arm. Or Kamloops. I am not making this up.
Safe travels today Don. Appreciate the beautiful pics!

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don, When you get a chance perhaps at one of you next charging sessions can you let us know your thought on the following...

Does your car have heated / cooling massage seats? If so how are they?
Sitting in One-Way traffic control, so here’s some answers...
Heated/Cooled seats only. No massage.
Seat heaters are great, High is more than I need (except for the 5 minutes after coming in from -10°F cold). Low is comfy for most winter driving.
I haven’t yet had a chance to use the cooling.
Does the car have driver exit option ie: moves the seat back steering wheel up when you get out
Yes. It has that option. I had to turn it off, as it was playing Trash-compactor to my luggage on the floor behind my seat. I’m a skinny guy. I don’t need any extra room to get in or out.
Do you use the trackpad or touch screen to access most features
I use both. Probably the trackpad mostly. But sometimes it is far more efficient to just reach up and tap. I thought it was silly at first, but it actually is rather handy.
How is the Infotainment system to use
Speaker sound do you like it
My car came with Bose. I’m no audiophile. It sounds just fine to me. I listen to mp3 compressed audio from a usb stick, Audible, and CarPlay audio. Sometimes XM radio (which is naturally bad, highly compressed).
Are there any features you love that you didn't even know the car had
Everything about the car was new to me. This is my first Porsche. It’s hard to say now what I didn’t know about.
Are there and features the car has you hate…
I hate that the audio system defaults back to FM radio if the previous source went away. Example: I have 10,000 tracks on a 128GB USB stick. It takes a while to parse that data... I get that. If I was listening to that, and I shut the car off to charge it, or grab dinner, when I come back it wants to re-parse the stick... but since it isn’t ready yet, it goes to FM radio. I NEVER listen to FM radio while driving on long trips. Never. And it always ends up on some random thing I really didn’t want to hear.

The nav needs significant work, but I’ve ranted enough already about that.
Are you using the favorite buttons, if so what setting did you put on each one.
Steering Wheel Fav: Next Track
Instrument Cluster Fav: Turn on/off Sport Sound. It’s off 99% of the time. But for some reason if I go into Sport or Sport+ mode, someone thought that the sound “enhancement” should always come on. No. It shouldn’t. So I need a quick way to shut it up again.
Is there a double-tap second function memory for either (the eTron could do two push once for one function tap twice to a different function)
Not that I know of.

still waiting in one-way traffic control. Sigh.

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 4FA94DE0-11BE-4915-8DB7-7935787383FF

Prateg

First Name
Attila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo Cabriolet
Country flag
Hi Don, I'm following your extraordinary trip from Hungary, and I don't know that waiting for my Turbo is easier or harder. I'm planning a big tour in Europe, but the main obstacle to to my reporting is my English being Hunglish. Thank you and good luck!

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Bon voyage to Vancouver!

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
Bon voyage to Vancouver!
The summers of 1967 and 1968 my girl friend and I lived on the beach on the west side of Vancouver island, near Tufino in huts built out of driftwood. This was my car then. I just hope my Taycan Turbo will be nearly as much fun
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal A33D8B40-55D6-429A-82D1-D64ED7ABFB8E

Woodie4s

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S bmw i3
Country flag
The summers of 1967 and 1968 my girl friend and I lived on the beach on the west side of Vancouver island, near Tufino in huts built out of driftwood. This was my car then. I just hope my Taycan Turbo will be nearly as much fun
A33D8B40-55D6-429A-82D1-D64ED7ABFB8E.jpeg
Nice TR, did you paint it yourself!
Enjoying your posts, waiting for my 4S - I am hoping to pick up from the factory and drive back to the UK so about 800 miles day 1-3

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
I hate that the audio system defaults back to FM radio if the previous source went away. Example: I have 10,000 tracks on a 128GB USB stick. It takes a while to parse that data... I get that. If I was listening to that, and I shut the car off to charge it, or grab dinner, when I come back it wants to re-parse the stick... but since it isn’t ready yet, it goes to FM radio. I NEVER listen to FM radio while driving on long trips. Never. And it always ends up on some random thing I really didn’t want to hear.
Thanks for the answers. Oh this will would bug me too. I have a song packed USB in the etron that only needed to sync once and is instantly available when selected was the same on the tesla too that needs to be reprogramed for sure!

Are you able to turn off the haptic feedback so it is more like an iPad or is it an "ON" only feature (again you can deselect it in the Audi)

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
Nice TR, did you paint it yourself!
Enjoying your posts, waiting for my 4S - I am hoping to pick up from the factory and drive back to the UK so about 800 miles day 1-3
Thanks, I was 20 in 1967 and we had an “escape from Evanston Illinois block party” and everyone painted it. Ahh to be young and crazy! Savor every day and have a great drive, take your time! Congratulations!

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Looks like a TR4A?

lawrence R

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
porsche
Country flag
Just select the CXX 'Fountain of Youth' option...