Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
It is a very very localized outage...

Screenshot_20200205-190702_Samsung Internet.jpg
Did you see the cause? “Other”. Because the pop-up menu for Outage Cause didn’t include “Louv”.
What town are in? Got any site seeing planned?
I was in Kamloops. Now charging in Merritt. Headed to Vancouver Porsche for lunch and a wash today.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It would seem likely that I blew the circuit last night. This morning, on my way out of town, I stopped by that station again. The A&W was operating. But... the charging stations were offline.

Uh... yeah... <backs up slowly> “nothing to see here... nope... I’ll just be heading right on down the road... <stomps on it and fishtails out of the snow covered lot>

I got a nearly full charge at the hotel. Full would have meant waiting until 7am, and I wanted to get an early start to get up and over the summit between Kamloops and Merritt. It’s snowing a little up at the 4600 ft summit.

I’m now down road, hooked up and getting my electron fix at another Petro-Canada charging station. Only charging 56kW because I’m 70% full already. But I need a full charge to get to Vancouver.

Always interesting.
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 86FAA56B-F681-4900-8B68-BDA7C74D21AA
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 20DEADBB-CF5F-4761-BE50-6160330FFC85
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 1DB49691-5BB5-4101-98C3-1018055167AA
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 60E47448-9A61-4446-98DE-4EFA71FEE66E

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There aren't any other cars that could charge with more than 150 kW on a CCS charger, so a @louv suddenly drawing 200+kW is almost certainly untested.
Note, I’ve never seen my car pull more than 135kW from these 200kw and 350kW Petro-Canada Stations.

but still... :cool:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Note, I’ve never seen my car pull more than 135kW from these 200kw and 350kW Petro-Canada Stations.

Well I can't remember who (it may have been you?) did mention to get higher draws the temperature of the battery has to be around 30c. Do you have the battery temp on your info display just out of curiosity in the cold weather?

Vik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P100DL
Country flag

Do you think that is because of the cold weather or Porsche is restricting kw on new models?

Btw - love the adventure! Thanks for posting.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Love the adventure, especially as a Canadian that did the Calgary to Tofino drive last year (in a boring rental car though).

Any issues with the charge port door or are the ice-breaking capabilities built into the car working well? You have seen some pretty cold days! Welcome to Canada in February!!

lawrence R

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
porsche
Country flag

I think the limitation is that the Petro Canada stations are 400V, and the car can only take a maximum of 150kW with a 400V charging station, and that is with the optional on-board 150kW DC charger (and at $C520 I would recommend it).

From the Porsche Car Configurator;
"Optional on-board DC Charger to increase maximum charging capacity when charging at public 400V direct current charging stations. By increasing the charging capacity to 150kW, the charging time is decreased."

The Electrify America/Canada stations are 800V, and matched with the Tacan's systems, and with these stations you can charge up to a limit of 270kW. The Electrify Canada fast charger network should be in place within a year so I am told.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Actually, quick question on your trip Don. I wonder why you decided to do the Canadian portion of your trek first? I would think the weather in Canada would be less of an issue if you had gone "clockwise" instead of "counter-clockwise" on your loop...

wreighven2015

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model X LR+, 2012 Porsche Cayenne, 2014 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4
Country flag
Don, these latest pics are neat. My 12 year old thinks Taycan's covered in snow are "rad." Who knew that was making a comeback?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
just like all the other good names were "Taycan" so we end up with this model designation :)

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well I can't remember who (it may have been you?) did mention to get higher draws the temperature of the battery has to be around 30c. Do you have the battery temp on your info display just out of curiosity in the cold weather?
Yes, I’m tracking initial battery temperature. Many times it has been warm enough that the specs say I could have charged at a faster rate. But didn’t.
These chargers are capable of 900-1000V. BTW. At least thats what they say on the side label.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sometimes charging stations are hard to find in large parking lots. Or behind buildings in small ones. As I entered the parking lot to find this charging station, a car jumped around me to my left and dashed around the building.

It was a nissan leaf. He too was headed to the charging stations and basically jumped the queue.

He pulled up at one station. Fortunately there were two stations. Except mine didn’t work. And, as I spent 15 minutes with Tech Support getting it rebooted, she told me this one was known to have problems. It had already been reported.

So I had to wait for Leaf guy to finish. That charging station worked fine. For him, and now for me.

While I had Tech support online, I asked her to look at the information from last night’s blackout station. She said there was no record of a session. But her view is limited. She did say both stations were still unavailable. I told her my suspicion. She thanked me for the information.

From here, I head over for a social visit to Vancouver Porsche. (Though I’m sure some blogger will report me as “stranded” or some other click-baity headline)

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal F43BD424-C993-48D4-B431-B2E9CDC5BC77

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the limitation is that the Petro Canada stations are 400V, and the car can only take a maximum of 150kW with a 400V charging station, and that is with the optional on-board 150kW DC charger (and at $C520 I would recommend it).

From the Porsche Car Configurator;
"Optional on-board DC Charger to increase maximum charging capacity when charging at public 400V direct current charging stations. By increasing the charging capacity to 150kW, the charging time is decreased."

The Electrify America/Canada stations are 800V, and matched with the Tacan's systems, and with these stations you can charge up to a limit of 270kW. The Electrify Canada fast charger network should be in place within a year so I am told.
Here’s the label from the side of a “350kW” Petro-Canada station.

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 695F6155-A740-4AC0-BC07-261E0ECB0B76

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Love the adventure, especially as a Canadian that did the Calgary to Tofino drive last year (in a boring rental car though).

Any issues with the charge port door or are the ice-breaking capabilities built into the car working well? You have seen some pretty cold days! Welcome to Canada in February!!
I don’t have the electric charger port doors. Sadly. One issue last night was the snow collected at the bottom edge of the open port. The snow turned to ice. The door wouldn’t shut until I scraped away the ice. No big deal, but something to watch for when charging over night in a snowstorm.
Sponsored