First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Great thread, thanks @louv!

What are your thoughts on Apple CarPlay or Apple Music integration? What convenience features does the Porsche Connect app support? I’ve had Teslas in the past and I love all the things you can control from the app (i.e. start climate, turn on seat heaters, track the location of the car, get a notification when charging is almost complete, set charging to begin at a certain time of the day and etc.).
CarPlay integration is almost perfect. It doesn’t do WiFi CarPlay yet, but that’s apparently coming in June (so it’s rumored).
The iOS app does all those things. It’s very handy. Though, getting charging notifications... I think all those come from the charging station apps.
Sponsored

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Curious your top charging rate using Electrify America? ( especially at 80f temp) Evgo looks slower.

WHAT DIFFERENT TYPES OF EV CHARGING DOES EVGO OFFER?
We pride ourselves in making charging available wherever and whenever you need it. We currently offer both 50 kW DC Fast charging and 7 kW Level 2 charging. To find a location or station type near you, please check out our map (https://www.evgo.com/charging-locations/).
My top ElectrifyAmerica station rate was 244kW (for a very brief time). EVgo does 50kW DC chargers so yes, much slower (unless I’m just topping off, above 70%, then they’d be about the same). Or if the battery pack were very cold.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My top ElectrifyAmerica station rate was 244kW (for a very brief time). EVgo does 50kW DC chargers so yes, much slower (unless I’m just topping off, above 70%, then they’d be about the same). Or if the battery pack were very cold.
From what I had seen on video with Alex on Autos the Taycan didn't drop to 50kW till 96% charge assuming battery in the zone for charging temp 30-35C. At 70% I saw 200kW and 150kW at 76%.
See https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/optimal-taycan-charging.720/

cyberay

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz S 550 coupe, Porsche 911T, Ford F150
Country flag
Hello Don. I've spent the last two hours reading the 31 pages of this interesting thread. I have two questions. First, regards the two speed rear axle. Do you notice when it shifts, or is pretty much imperceptible? And second, I live in South Florida, Stuart area, would you care to make a stop and share a meal and some conversation if your schedule permits? I'm near both I-95 and the Florida Turnpike.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
From what I had seen on video with Alex on Autos the Taycan didn't drop to 50kW till 96% charge assuming battery in the zone for charging temp 30-35C. At 70% I saw 200kW and 150kW at 76%.
See https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/optimal-taycan-charging.720/
Most chargers that I've used (with an iPace and eTron) struggle to come close to their max charge rate. It's generally not a car issue. You'll get a goldilocks charger once in a while but for the most part the chargers are glitchy and inconsistent with charge rate. Plan for 30 minutes to an hour for a charging stop and realize sometimes you'll strike out with no functioning superchargers and be forced to go with a 50 kW charger. It often takes 5-15 minutes just to get a charge initialized.

Shahrol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
EVgo charging stations (both here) only give me a couple of kWhs, then they stop charging. 5 freaking times now. Grrrr. Now after a reboot, it won’t even start a charge.

Tonight’s lesson: I cannot rely on EVgo stations.
I suspect that these chargers need their CCS profile updated to be able to cater for the Taycan.

We have seen similar issues here with CCS DCFCs, it has something to do with how the DCFC and car handshake to agree on charging voltages.

PS - gorgeous pictures!

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello Don. I've spent the last two hours reading the 31 pages of this interesting thread. I have two questions. First, regards the two speed rear axle. Do you notice when it shifts, or is pretty much imperceptible? And second, I live in South Florida, Stuart area, would you care to make a stop and share a meal and some conversation if your schedule permits? I'm near both I-95 and the Florida Turnpike.
Thanks for joining the ride!

The only time I’ve felt a shift was at a low speed Stomp on the Go Pedal in Sport mode, it downshifted and shot forward. Then upshifted. Otherwise, You don’t feel any shifting.

I’m too far out from Florida to know my route or schedule yet , but thanks for the invite. I’ll keep you in mind!

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suspect that these chargers need their CCS profile updated to be able to cater for the Taycan.

We have seen similar issues here with CCS DCFCs, it has something to do with how the DCFC and car handshake to agree on charging voltages.

PS - gorgeous pictures!
Thx!

Good news, another EVgo charger is working just fine putting 49.94kW into my battery.

fun times.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The posts are going to slow down for a week or two. I’m in “marathon social mode”, trying to visit all the friends and family I have in the SF Bay area.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Today’s interesting “I’m back in the bay area” story. I pick up my friend and we are heading up 280 to 92 to have lunch in HMB.

A Ducati pulls up next to me and gives me a hand signal that I mis-interpret as “let’s go fast”. Ok, so I go fast. He leaves the freeway at the next exit. Ok. That was weird.

5 minutes later my phone rings. A bay area friend I haven’t seen in a couple years.

Yeah. He was the one on the Ducati. He saw the Taycan, then saw the Maine plate: Hey, It’s Don!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mazda CX-5, 2002 Honda Accord , 2002 Lexus iS300 SportCross
Country flag
Hi Don, I just joined the forum and started following your journey last evening. Incredibly cool endeavor! Good luck the rest of the way. I'm new to EVs and haven't really been excited until the Taycan came along. :)

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Today’s interesting “I’m back in the bay area” story. I pick up my friend and we are heading up 280 to 92 to have lunch in HMB.

A Ducati pulls up next to me and gives me a hand signal that I mis-interpret as “let’s go fast”. Ok, so I go fast. He leaves the freeway at the next exit. Ok. That was weird.

5 minutes later my phone rings. A bay area friend I haven’t seen in a couple years.

Yeah. He was the one on the Ducati. He saw the Taycan, then saw the Maine plate: Hey, It’s Don!
At least you smoked your friend!!! On his Ducati, no less! Well done.

cyberay

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz S 550 coupe, Porsche 911T, Ford F150
Country flag
Thanks for joining the ride!

The only time I’ve felt a shift was at a low speed Stomp on the Go Pedal in Sport mode, it downshifted and shot forward. Then upshifted. Otherwise, You don’t feel any shifting.

I’m too far out from Florida to know my route or schedule yet , but thanks for the invite. I’ll keep you in mind!
Please do.

reliev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 LR
Country flag
@louv
Really loving the post-meeting family and friends is more important than all these lurkers on here. If you have time im sure there are plenty of people in central Florida besides me who would love to hear about the journey.
Sponsored