louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Hmmm. I didn’t limit it. It didn’t trip the breaker, so it might be a 50A circuit. I’ll check in the morning. Thx for the reminder.
Mom’s dryer is on a 60A circuit. :) Dad was an electrician... he over-engineered things.
Sponsored

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@louv o.k. - I re-ask :) ... I'm interested in Innodrive capabilities .... how long (in seconds) does car drive without hands on steering wheel? Are you able to add 5 or 10mph to the speed limit detected from camera? .. is it permanently or do you have to add these 5 or 10 mph every time the camera detected a new speed limit?
I think if your hands are off the wheel for 5 or 10 seconds it states that driver attention is required.

Yes, you can add 5 or 10 mph to the speed limit. There’s a setting for “don’t ALERT me (red border around icon) until I’m X mph over the posted speed limit.”

But if you have it set to automatically adjust to speed limits, it will adjust to the actual limit detected. (And you’d better hope no one is tailgating, because it’s pretty abrupt)

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. I think I’ll get used to it. One of the reviews in one of the several hundred (!) videos about the taycan that I’ve seen, commented on it. I think it might’ve been the top Gear review. I was hoping there was a mode in the car where you could see out the rearview camera on the screen while driving, like in the Tesla. Maybe in a future software upgrade.
Most companies don’t seem to allow you to use the rear camera except at very low speeds. I would not expect Porsche to ever allow that. (Although I’d occasionally like it)

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
But if you have it set to automatically adjust to speed limits, it will adjust to the actual limit detected. (And you’d better hope no one is tailgating, because it’s pretty abrupt)
That's one thing I REALLY wish it had, ability to set 0, 5 and 10 mph over the road sign when it detects it. Truth is around here no one goes AT speed limit, but 5 or 10 over is rather common,

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
... clearly too many of them
Country flag
But if you have it set to automatically adjust to speed limits, it will adjust to the actual limit detected.
That's pretty annoying .... a little faster would be the real speed ... because speedo shows about 2-4 percent more than real GPS speed

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Apologies. Yes, I did miss it. (I’m sure I’ve missed others, too, so re-ask, folks!)

Short answer:
You get used to the limited visibility.

Long Answer:
I’ve owned several cars with restricted rear views. (BMW i8, BMW Z4MCoupe, etc). My brain adjusts (after time) to the restrictions, and compensates by using mirrors to “fill in the gaps”.

So, initially, it feels odd in parking lots, and in town, but you’ll quickly just get used to it. Out on the freeway, there’s no problem. Plenty of visibility to the rear.

Also, the surround view of the cameras helps quite a bit when parking.
@louv How is the surround view camera in the rain / snow?

On the day I was test driving, it was raining hard. I felt the rain drops distorted the view enough for me to feel uncomfortable in trusting just how close I was getting to things, based just on using the camera.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@louv How is the surround view camera in the rain / snow?

On the day I was test driving, it was raining hard. I felt the rain drops distorted the view enough for me to feel uncomfortable in trusting just how close I was getting to things, based just on using the camera.
The cameras get quite distorted in rain. And sometimes completely covered by snow.

The cameras actually have little washer fluid sprayers next to them... but that didn’t help much in heavy snow.

i carry a microfiber towel in the car to wipe the front and rear cameras when I get in the car in the mornings... or when stopping for an electron fix.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's pretty annoying .... a little faster would be the real speed ... because speedo shows about 2-4 percent more than real GPS speed
All of these things can be turned off... when they get annoying.

We are very far away from intelligent self-driving cars. A Driver with a squishy human brain is still very much required.

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
... clearly too many of them
Country flag
All of these things can be turned off... when they get annoying.

We are very far away from intelligent self-driving cars. A Driver with a squishy human brain is still very much required.
Yes - of course .... but I spent 3k on Innodrive ... so I hoped to get at least some small helpful features in return ;)

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes - of course .... but I spent 3k on Innodrive ... so I hoped to get at least some small helpful features in return ;)
Agreed. I use it. (Unlike Sports Sound, if I were spec’ing my perfect car, I would definitely add InnoDrive.)

johnny99

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 GT3, 2018 Panamera 4S, 2016 Cayman GTS, 2018 Silverado 2500HD, 2003 Tacoma, 1970 GTO Judge, 1967 GTO
Country flag
Great to follow you on your journey. I hope you end up on NJ at some point. I see you have a Tesla to EV adapter how is it working for you. I have Tesla wall chargers in my houses
Thanks
Mark
Don
If you do pass through the northern part of NJ, would be awesome to meet up with you (and Mark - though not sure where you are Mark). I don’t have a Tesla charger or anything but I’d be glad to but you a meal and we could all just chat about cars. :)

Frank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mazda CX-5, 2002 Honda Accord , 2002 Lexus iS300 SportCross
Country flag
Don...on the availability of chargers/ charging stations... As we journeyed with you across Canada I noticed that at nearly every charging station you were the lone user. As you made your way over to Vancouver and now down the West Coast are you:

1. Seeing more and more charging stations?
2. Are you seeing more people using them?
3. If occupied, have you had to wait long for one to open up?

Seems to me the future would need to have more stations with more spots. Kind of like we have down here in the South with QT, RaceTrac, or even Pilot travel centers.

Thanks in advance

jarhead

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cayenne GTS
Country flag
Sorry if I missed this question, but is that a stick on license plate on the front? If so any issues yet? And where did you order from?

Bikergal

First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 Boxster S, 2014 Cayenne
Country flag
There is a post from him early on, he copied, reduced and laminated it himself. just for a quick answer.
Sponsored