Darthamerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P90D
Country flag
My only experience with Tesla’s Autopilot is reading about it and watching youtube videos. And reading crash reports.
I see... if you’re in the LA area during a charging stop and want to try it out for comparison, just let me know. Thanks for sharing this experience with us prospects!
Sponsored

GAS X

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Model Y
Country flag
the cheat sheet is easy - amp rating of the plug * 80%… :)
Guessing if the Porsche Universal Mobil Connector (that is a thing, correct?) is anything like the Tesla's, one plugs it in and the electronics check the circuit and use or limit accordingly up to 80% of the circuit rating. The resulting amperage shows up on my screen.

GAS X

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Basically, I’m just repeating: Drive for 3 hours, charge for an hour or so.

I’ve been on the road for 10h05m and covered 403 miles. 0.435kWh per mile. Not bad, but significantly less than I could do burning liquified dinosaurs.

Nicely, the car knew I was stopping off at a DC Fast charging station, and it pre-warmed the battery as I approached. Not that it mattered, as it was a mere 50kW station. The pre-warming only really matters for 150kW or 350kW stations.
I no longer have a " drive for 3 hours" capacity. :blush:

The Tesla charges rapidly from a low state of charge (SOC) (5 or 10% to about 50%); maybe 15 minutes. So on road trips I rarely (unless absolutely called for) charge much higher than that. In fact, I take the charge/mileage necessary for the next stop and add a 50 mile cushion and go instead of waiting for a higher charge to make the next following point of charge. Your battery architecture (800volts vs 400volts) allows a more rapid charge. I still wonder what would happen if you just charged to about 50% or wherever the charge starts to taper off (if it does) and head (rapidly to the next charger)? Break up the drive with shorter stops. I can cover 625 miles in 11h08m (give or take).

Maybe that is not economically possible either as I don't know whether you are charged by Kwh or flat rate or some other combo.

Great pics! (P4NTHA has been added)

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Early morning run to the Central Valley to see my sister and her offspring.

Grabbing a quick electricity fix...

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal C1F3FB73-94CE-4D0E-B5BB-6A2D98916FEA
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal BEE39487-9D4A-4391-88F8-85EEE9975958
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 02943824-6C96-48C0-AA82-C963A2472208
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 2014086A-FD17-4F4F-AFA0-D2E494FB5911
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal F9A34CBD-97C5-49D0-896E-FAF6E1FB5C87

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I see you stopping at places that aren't Electricfiy America, are these chargers free or do you have to pay?

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
About the dryer plug, is this what you bought? Thanks

In the USA, you probably should always have the 3 prong adapter and a 4 prong adapter. Homes built before 2000, tend to have the 3 prong, and those after 2000 have the 4 prong. To me any EV user going to visit relatives or friends should have this, together with a a 30 to 50ft extension cable so you can reach the dryer plug and mooch your relatives or friends electricity

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 3-and-4-wire-dryer-receptacles-1152226_FINAL-5bbcc13c46e0fb0026b3838f

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Guessing if the Porsche Universal Mobil Connector (that is a thing, correct?) is anything like the Tesla's, one plugs it in and the electronics check the circuit and use or limit accordingly up to 80% of the circuit rating. The resulting amperage shows up on my screen.
Well problem is the unit can not know the “circuit” rating. it can know from the kind of plug what it can handle (like the NEMA 14-50 means 50amp). But it can not tell if you use an adapter and plug it into a 40 amp circuit. If the car (like Taycan) wants 40 amp and it can provide it it will draw full 40, which is 100% of the rating. It may trip the circuit and/or is beyond safety rating. You can limit the current in the charger and in some cars in the car itself to a maximum in that case.

Not even Tesla “magic” can determine what the circuit it is plugged into.

GAS X

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Well problem is the unit can not know the “circuit” rating. it can know from the kind of plug what it can handle (like the NEMA 14-50 means 50amp). But it can not tell if you use an adapter and plug it into a 40 amp circuit. If the car (like Taycan) wants 40 amp and it can provide it it will draw full 40, which is 100% of the rating. It may trip the circuit and/or is beyond safety rating. You can limit the current in the charger and in some cars in the car itself to a maximum in that case.

Not even Tesla “magic” can determine what the circuit it is plugged into.
Well, I am learning all sorts of things on this forum. The latest Universal Mobile Charger is different than my generation 1 model. The manual seems to imply it checks circuit based on the plug inserted (e.g. NEMA 14-50). Will have to check auto manual as I know something adjusts amount of amps drawn based on something. I have a 50 amp fuse so my connection will allow up to 40amps but I have seen it adjust downward for whatever reason. You've burst my bubble on Tesla "magic".;)

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Last night I charged... from my mother’s dryer outlet in the garage. I had to buy an adapter.

Oh... and I might have had a little too much fun on the twisty mountain back roads (see maximum G-forces display )

03589ADF-2851-4FF0-88B2-AF84B3819538.jpeg
B4B302D8-417A-462A-9243-3133304C9EC7.jpeg
AC0435D7-79E7-4FB3-85E6-052F27DE1A12.jpeg
D6F9361E-5300-453F-972F-5FAFBACCFE28.jpeg
So does the vehicle, in this case the Taycan, know what you are plugged into, especially in homes, whether a 120v plug or a Dryer plug with 40 amps or 60 amps? how is this controlled so that the vehicle doesn't attempt to use too much amperage and trip breakers or cause potential fire hazard if someone has a too high amp breaker but a too thin gauge wire.? There must be some sort of control, either automatic or manual.

DeciusCaeciliusMetellus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
So does the vehicle, in this case the Taycan, know what you are plugged into, especially in homes, whether a 120v plug or a Dryer plug with 40 amps or 60 amps? how is this controlled so that the vehicle doesn't attempt to use too much amperage and trip breakers or cause potential fire hazard if someone has a too high amp breaker but a too thin gauge wire.? There must be some sort of control, either automatic or manual.
Wikipedia says:
A 1 kHz square wave at ±12 volts generated by the EVSE on the control pilot line to detect the presence of the vehicle, communicate the maximum allowable charging current, and control charging begin/end.[

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
+10000000 for what epirali said - the ONLY way a EVSE/Charger "knows" what a circuit can handle is via the kind of PLUG-Adapter the unit is currently using…

there is _NO METHOD_ to "check" what a circuit can handle - the Porsche Unit and Tesla unit "imply" the correct current (volts * amps) from the current adapter attached to the unit.

you should only be using the sorts of adapter that match the breaker and wiring for the plug you are plugged into.

this is what can happen if you try and pull 40/50 amps across a 30 amp circuit - good thing the metal box stopped the fire

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal IMG_0794

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I see you stopping at places that aren't Electricfiy America, are these chargers free or do you have to pay?
I have to pay.
yes. I believe the Porsche Mobile Connect does analyze the line.
Sponsored