Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag

DeciusCaeciliusMetellus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
I have some experience with Tesla AP, and the Taycan InnoDrive is definitely is that league but not as “you can do whatever you want” in that it won’t let you just let go. But its ability to hold the road, follow cars, and even prepare for maneuvers while nav is on is very good imo.
The Taycan got a newer version of the Audi A8's assistance systems.

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Added my car’s build spec to the first post.

And here... to save you a couple clicks...

My Launch Vehicle

http://www.porsche-code.com/PLQZID97
thanks for sharing. Such a cool car ;)

Having the Ionizer have you noticed an improved air quality in the cabin or not compared to regular HVAC systems of you other/previous cars?

I notice that you do not have the intelligent range manager in your build - maybe thats why the chargeplanning and battery temperature is not optimal when youre getting the electron fix?

btw - such a cool tread, wonderfull pictures - sitting here in Denmark it makes me feel like i’m just a bit along your epic journey. Thank you for taking us all along your adventures and experiences with the Taycan and the journey in itself.

nsheth_ahimsa

First Name
Nirav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordering), 2020 GLS450, 2017 BMW 535d
Country flag
All ... have been quietly observing all of the various threads for the past several months and want to thank everyone for the great perspectives and ideas! This will be my first Porsche (almost got the new gen Panamera a few years back but opted for a S550 instead) and my first EV.

As I finalize my order, I have a question for @louv and anyone else that has been able to take delivery of their Taycan:

1) Given the frameless windows, are you experiencing any issues with wind or tire noise during your epic roadtrip? On my limited test drives (Turbo) I caught a bit of both, and trying to figure out is it me just being sensitive to the fact its an EV and there is no engine noise (and I'm coming out of a S550) or is it because the car has frameless windows. Reviews by Whatcar, Car and Driver etc seem mixed between 'quietest car ever' to 'there is definitely quite a bit of noise at highway speeds'. I plan on getting it with the thermal/sound insulated glass, but I believe the demo Turbo I drove had that on there already due to the Premium package.

Thank you in advance and thank you Don for all of the commentary during your incredible journey.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I will share what I hear, and I will just give you a context that I am a professional audio engineer. This is not the quietest BEV I’ve driven. But what I hear is not wind noise. First and foremost I actually hear the front motor, but I like it. It is not that loud, but it definitely gives a “physical” feedback auditory sense to the car. I would even go as far as to say it may be on purpose. I am not talking about the fake electro sound (it must die, and it must die permanently, unfortunately there is no permanent off when you switch modes). And depending on wheel/tire you will hear tire noise, but this is true of almost any car.

But there is no wind noise, even at high speed. Only other car that I have driven that was like that was the i8 coupe. The air flow on both cars is such that you don’t hear windows, and you barely hear the mirrors which are the main turbulence.

Only objectionable noise I have is that if the headrest is not in the fully back position it will rattle when there is no head resting against it.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All ... have been quietly observing all of the various threads for the past several months and want to thank everyone for the great perspectives and ideas! This will be my first Porsche (almost got the new gen Panamera a few years back but opted for a S550 instead) and my first EV.

As I finalize my order, I have a question for @louv and anyone else that has been able to take delivery of their Taycan:

1) Given the frameless windows, are you experiencing any issues with wind or tire noise during your epic roadtrip? On my limited test drives (Turbo) I caught a bit of both, and trying to figure out is it me just being sensitive to the fact its an EV and there is no engine noise (and I'm coming out of a S550) or is it because the car has frameless windows. Reviews by Whatcar, Car and Driver etc seem mixed between 'quietest car ever' to 'there is definitely quite a bit of noise at highway speeds'. I plan on getting it with the thermal/sound insulated glass, but I believe the demo Turbo I drove had that on there already due to the Premium package.

Thank you in advance and thank you Don for all of the commentary during your incredible journey.
I have found the car to be quite quiet. Yes, if the audio system is off, then there is a little bit of noise. But less than many cars.

The frameless doors are only an issue in making me change where I push the door to shut it. Pushing on a frameless window probably isn’t a good idea.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
thanks for sharing. Such a cool car ;)

Having the Ionizer have you noticed an improved air quality in the cabin or not compared to regular HVAC systems of you other/previous cars?
The ionizer is on, but I don’t know how to tell a difference.
I notice that you do not have the intelligent range manager in your build - maybe thats why the chargeplanning and battery temperature is not optimal when youre getting the electron fix?
Actually, I do have it. It was purchased post-build and downloaded to the car.
(Build notes updated)
btw - such a cool tread, wonderfull pictures - sitting here in Denmark it makes me feel like i’m just a bit along your epic journey. Thank you for taking us all along your adventures and experiences with the Taycan and the journey in itself.
I’m very happy to share the experience.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
“Do you have any books on whales?”
“The animal or the country?”
“Well, that should be obvious!!! Harrumph!!!”

(A random quote from when my first wife worked in a bookstore)

Anyway, my friend and I spent a great day in Lahaina and out on a boat, whale watching.

Then a necessary Imperial Coconut Porter at Maui Brewing Company.

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal CADDF51C-6996-43E6-B127-3D6BC7311B1F

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal CEADA3A6-5122-46D2-969B-67529A2E6F00

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 3E566D18-E55A-4649-AF0E-7BCDA3DA500F

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 7962009D-0D87-4C87-A11E-D1F7C1CD7F1B

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 306EB33A-EFDD-49D5-A4B8-1CB3E7F66748

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal C4D31AF8-65EF-41C1-A2C8-2D3FB55FAE31

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 78932C44-559E-4C19-929C-A6BF30958610

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 571D1A53-A397-45F3-BA6F-B09FF1C73813

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 0EEDE424-E284-44A2-937E-5DFD45B5FFC2

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 4BD63237-3091-4707-824E-B5FC18A7DA5B

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 7F39F189-FCB2-4F17-BD32-DC28C3B2D3FC

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal BB339247-3D4B-47CC-B119-24F954C91B0C

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 4E8E9A6D-2009-408C-87D4-830BF30776C6

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag

I understand the assesment that a frameless window is more prone to letting wind noisepass through to the cabin. In the god old days the were in a “fixed” position when being up. As speed would build and windspeed over the car would increase the windows would be sucked a bit our just ever so slightly and enough to make it more noisy than cars with framed doors. But at some point in the 1990-2000’s the car manufacturers (BMW did) made a sollution where the window after shutting the door goes up about 1/2 cm to the doorsealing - and when opening it would drop that same 1/2 cm making it possible to get out. My 435i had that systemwith frameless doors and the windnoise was as in any other car up to the limit (155 mph). I guess in the Taycan they use the same technique making the frameless doors a non issue in regards to windnoise.

my brother, a car journalist, testet the Turbo S (with the soundinsulated glass) and was very impressed by how low the cabin noise is at speed. But the S class is among the most quiet cars around so I guess you have a reference point which is hard to match or even surpass.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are no Taycans in these photos.

Just me, taking an early morning walk on the beach. My apologies.

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal BBB83B5D-B103-491E-B452-CE3B9645EECC

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 43C89FAF-85BB-4595-920B-2704CC35ED97

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 5357E34C-59AA-46F9-9F05-3EF761B04019

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 8E369A7E-5858-45B0-9564-BD962DC910DB

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 5089EED1-3C4B-470B-A606-B5E1042BD857

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal C5FE1091-4475-4DCB-A354-F82A88FC6A83

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 94BB9868-83C0-47D1-B7FC-232B8085E9E4

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
No apologies - bon voyage instead :)!

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
Don, it looks like that one photo shows the astronomical telescope domes atop Haleakala ... Very cool...

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don, it looks like that one photo shows the astronomical telescope domes atop Haleakala ... Very cool...
Yes! That’s why I took that particular photo. I’ve never seen it so clear before. (I lived here in 2016).

saronian

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Country flag
Anyway, my friend and I spent a great day in Lahaina and out on a boat, whale watching.

Then a necessary Imperial Coconut Porter at Maui Brewing Company.
Can't think of another travel diary with such large weather extremes over so little time. Love the car, love the posts.
Sponsored