louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Hello Florida! I’m here in the third corner. Well, I’m in Pensacola. I guess the corner is still far away. This state is very long... and known to some as: Flatistan.

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal C056CC4F-0E6D-4E64-9D1F-0E4C685B8866

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 7BDCEAFA-D372-45EB-9259-7BF1DD8CB987
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 2AD587D4-AF60-4C95-A843-1F45F20B3859

DeciusCaeciliusMetellus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
Hello Florida! I’m here in the third corner. Well, I’m in Pensacola. I guess the corner is still far away. This state is very long... and known to some as: Flatistan.
SpaceX launch is still on for March 14th. Might be just perfect to go down to the keys and back up to Cape Canaveral.

Last edited:

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
They have tunnels in Flatistan?!

I was thinking about reading that winter tires give as much as 10-15 percent less mileage range when compared to all-season tires, so that's another 20+ miles of range that you might have in summer when you get those snow tires off.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Today’s charging station lesson: Always check the charging station plug... for wildlife.

I killed a frog. A cute little froggy. I’m sorry froggy.
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 512810BA-B787-4612-9DB0-38BA451FAEF3

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think I’m officially a Snowbird now, driving around Florida with Maine plates.

(Random Blue Angels Plane. Snowbirds are a different acrobatic group. )

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 0945AFAB-EB09-4799-A63A-D4178E9FA8E8

reliev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 LR
Country flag
agree on all points.

I still love the car, beta software and all.

And I want it to be even better. Sooner, rather than later, for all of the Soon-To-Be-Owners.
question on this how many updates have you got? does it notify you of the release notes? a prompt on the phone? or is this something you need to go the dealership for etc? connect to wifi?
Edit I just want to know how this process works with a Taycan and what are your thoughts on making it better?

Last edited:
OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Today was a long day. 778 miles. Nearly 13 hours of driving including 6 charging stops. Landed in Pampano Beach, Florida. Staying put for a few nights.

At night it’s easy to find the ElectrifyAmerica charging stations. Look for the green glowing things.

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 92D3B6D9-8916-4285-9505-E33B4D481693
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 81DB89CA-62E2-47D1-9010-C08A882C5EB6
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 6D84891E-08B4-4AC1-B014-164AB1F08209

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
question on this how many updates have you got? does it notify you of the release notes? a prompt on the phone? or is this something you need to go the dealership for etc? connect to wifi?
Edit I just want to know how this process works with a Taycan and what are your thoughts on making it better?
Number of Map updates: 3 today. Probably 30 or more total. The Nav gors “ding!” And you get a message the Map data has been updated. This is preceded by the map refreshing itself and redrawing.

Number of Software Updates: Zero (since December 27 when I took delivery). I believe they happen Over The Air... but so far I have no first hand knowledge.

The last time I was at a dealership they confirmed, “you have all the latest software”.

Sorry. I don’t know... yet.

reliev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 LR
Country flag
Number of Map updates: 3 today. Probably 30 or more total. The Nav gors “ding!” And you get a message the Map data has been updated. This is preceded by the map refreshing itself and redrawing.

Number of Software Updates: Zero (since December 27 when I took delivery). I believe they happen Over The Air... but so far I have no first hand knowledge.

The last time I was at a dealership they confirmed, “you have all the latest software”.

Sorry. I don’t know... yet.
no worries appreciate the info thanks for the update, I wonder if its downloading maps based on your location like a buffer within a certain range?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
no worries appreciate the info thanks for the update, I wonder if its downloading maps based on your location like a buffer within a certain range?
It doesn’t seem like the number of updates relates to the distance I’m covering... but that’s an interesting thought.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Porsche (and any other decent automaker) is never going to do software updates like Tesla, who treats the whole thing like a consumer device. Car companies should be following the automotive SPICE process for anything that goes into on onto a car, and the amount of documentation alone prevents iterative releases.

I expect Porsche to release TSBs for any software update, so there's official notice and process for people to get updates. (either OTA or at a dealer)

Having worked directly with traditional tier 1 suppliers for Toyota, MB, etc and with Chinese automakers, I know which companies I wouldn't buy a car from. :p

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
Today was a long day. 778 miles. Nearly 13 hours of driving including 6 charging stops. Landed in Pampano Beach, Florida. Staying put for a few nights.

At night it’s easy to find the ElectrifyAmerica charging stations. Look for the green glowing things.

92D3B6D9-8916-4285-9505-E33B4D481693.jpeg
81DB89CA-62E2-47D1-9010-C08A882C5EB6.jpeg
6D84891E-08B4-4AC1-B014-164AB1F08209.jpeg
You’re almost at the 10,000 mile mark, what do you estimate you would have covered by the time you arrive home?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You’re almost at the 10,000 mile mark, what do you estimate you would have covered by the time you arrive home?
I’ll definitely be over 11,000 when I get home. Probably less than 12,000.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche (and any other decent automaker) is never going to do software updates like Tesla, who treats the whole thing like a consumer device. Car companies should be following the automotive SPICE process for anything that goes into on onto a car, and the amount of documentation alone prevents iterative releases.

I expect Porsche to release TSBs for any software update, so there's official notice and process for people to get updates. (either OTA or at a dealer)

Having worked directly with traditional tier 1 suppliers for Toyota, MB, etc and with Chinese automakers, I know which companies I wouldn't buy a car from. :p
BMW is slowly moving into more and more OTA updates. Not with the frequency of Tesla, though. I think others will do the same, but I agree, at a slower pace.

As for Release Notes (to the customer), I hope so... But I’m not holding my breath. Example: I keep getting Map Data updates in the car... but it never tells me what data is being updated: What region? POIs? EV stations?

reliev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 LR
Country flag
BMW is slowly moving into more and more OTA updates. Not with the frequency of Tesla, though. I think others will do the same, but I agree, at a slower pace.

As for Release Notes (to the customer), I hope so... But I’m not holding my breath. Example: I keep getting Map Data updates in the car... but it never tells me what data is being updated: What region? POIs? EV stations?
yeah notification type would be nice. An example we updated x,y,z Never said frequent but based on what @louv has posted I assumed there would be at least one update in 3 months? having 1 or 2 a year to me isn't really enough of an update for me, but to each their own. FWIW tesla has done 1 update this year.
Sponsored

Last edited: