First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Today I’m beginning a crazy roadtrip.

I’ll be driving my Taycan Turbo on a lap around the country. Well, technically through two countries. I’m starting in Maine, headed north into Canada, then west to Vancouver, south to San Diego, east to Key West, then north again to Maine.

There will be many stops along the way to visit friends and family. And many more stops for electrons.

If all goes as planned, I’ll cover about 10,000 miles and be on the road for six weeks.

Follow along... it’s going to be an adventure.

EDIT: Some had asked, so here’s the build spec of what I’m driving:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PLQZID97
Software purchased post build: intelligent range manager.

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 6AC1D430-D423-4AA4-83A3-DEF0D8B2AEF1
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
This is going to be epic, crazy I was going to try something similar, but on a smaller scale, how are you going to document it? You camping or doing hotels?

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
I’m looking forward to keeping up with this thread
good luck and enjoy

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Super cool move! But you are missing Pike's Peak :D!

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Best of luck on the trip! Great to see you're putting the Taycan through it's paces...

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Wow what an epic trip, you will have so much fun. Definitely will be following along. Good luck with charging stops, as I posted elsewhere I am just finding EA not to be at all reliable, let’s hope you have much better luck.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
I wish he would have written more details about finding charging stations. What kind of range did he get? Any mechanical issues? Did he plan trip around locations of charging stations, or did he have to drive detours to find superchargers?
No showers???? Camping in car????

Well.....when I was 20, I took a road trip a 1971 VW pop top Camper from Columbia South Carolina to Texas to Mexico City Mexico to Veracruz, to the Yucatan to Belize, into the war zones of Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Honduras again, El Salvador, Mexico City (for 6 more months) then to Los Angeles, all n 1985 in the middle of Ronald Reagan's central American contra wars and civil wars. Twice had machines guns pointed at me. Bathing only in rivers and lakes......I could do that at 20, but not now! I guess an adventure like that would NOT be possible with an EV

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Amazing! I want to do a cross-Canada trip and will be very anxious to hear about your experience with Petro-Canada charging stations. They say they have a built a coast-to-coast system.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Today I’m beginning a crazy roadtrip.

I’ll be driving my Taycan Turbo on a lap around the country. Well, technically through two countries. I’m starting in Maine, headed north into Canada, then west to Vancouver, south to San Diego, east to Key West, then north again to Maine.

There will be many stops along the way to visit friends and family. And many more stops for electrons.

If all goes as planned, I’ll cover about 10,000 miles and be on the road for sixweeks.

Follow along... it’s going to be an adventure.
6AC1D430-D423-4AA4-83A3-DEF0D8B2AEF1.png
can you produce a map with your planned charging stations?

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Congrats! Sounds like awesome fun. I would suggest letting EA know so you can get some extra support if you need it. Maybe they will even sponsor part of the trip or at least meet you somewhere and get some EA swag or something.

Thanks for sharing and hope you have a great time!

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I had a lovely drive from Portland to Coaticook. Hello Canada! Hello Canadian Border guardians who were enamored of the car.

I’m currently hooked up to my first DC Charging station.

The car’s Nav didn’t know about this charging station. I had to find it online, and type in the address by hand.

And now, once again the Nav has forgotten it’s an EV and doesn’t allow me to search for Charging stations. [bug]

Now having troubles authorizing a transfer of funds to an RFID card that should make payments for charging easier. Sigh. Technology.

And the charging station (or the car) hit an error at 25% full and shut off. Had to restart the session.

2nd try... charging fine. At 85%... going to grab lunch.
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal CB477111-1B38-49E7-8116-A191DA9C224D

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal A48DEFC3-5FE1-4D3F-99F6-BF840FDEC3F5

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 9578E053-9366-488C-8AC5-1CF61E470FF1

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Vehicules electriques :)

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Long distance EV driving, at this day and age, will require having time, patience and a pioneer spirit. But I kind of look forward to that. People are simply too BUSY these days, perhaps an EV can help relax a bit as you have to adopt that mindset :)
Sponsored