Taycan 12v battery dead after one day...

MarkY

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
One day after Taycan 4S purchase, the car was completely dead. The main battery was at 85% charge and car was plugged to home charger

The 12v battery was completely dead.

At one of the largest dealerships in Chicago area, they had no idea there was a 12v battery issue- suggested I “didn’t power it down correctly.” I said that doesn’t make any sense...
Glad I found this thread to forward to them.

1. Is replacement of the 12v battery the solution?

2. What is “reasonable” compensation from the dealer for receiving a defective brand new car?

Thanks,
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
sufficient to say - there is _NO_ reason for an EV with a mostly charged main battery to ever let the 12 volt battery die - even if you leave the lights on…porsche has fixed this hopefully in the latest software updates - the data so far is good news - the combination of updated 12 volt battery firmware and main car software seems to be much better at managing the 12 volt battery.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
1) It should be, yes. Replace the 12v with the newer battery with updated firmware and apply the patch to the car. Hopefully will fix it for you.

2) From the dealership? Nothing except a really nice loaner. From PCNA? At least financial compensation equal to any payments for the time the car is out of order and/or in the shop. PM some of the people on here that have had the issue and see what they received.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Did you buy the car off the lot or order it? Did your Dealer check for outstanding upgrade campaigns before they let the car go? Cause there is a bunch... I would be VERY curious if you car is up to date!

My car is also arriving very soon (this week), so I'm curious if your car was fully up to date (particularly if it was just delivered and not been on the lot for a while). I have been very communicative with my dealer and forwarding him lots of info on the 12V battery problem and the upgrade campaigns. He has run my VIN and said there are no pending updates or a battery replacement. If you ordered your car, and it was just delivered, that would make me a bit nervous...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@MarkY
One question is did you happen to set up or change the charging profiles the same night you were charging? That has been the suspected instigator of the problem.

You can check out these 2 threads
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...mpaign-software-updates-and-12v-battery.1997/

And the infamous Don @louv thread
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/don-breaks-his-taycan-the-saga-of-the-12v-battery.1274/

I am very sorry to hear you're having this problem. the perhaps good news is that it is a known issue and Porsche is working on it or has a fix for it that your car may just be missing.

I do agree that you should immediately contact the dealer and have them check for any recalls or services that should be happening.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Another question...if you go to https://recall.porsche.com/ and input your VIN does anything come up? I’d be very interested before / after the dealer addresses the 12v issue
This Recall page is for government mandated recalls. That’s different from Porsche’s internal repair Campaigns.
The 12v Battery is being replaced under a Porsche repair Campaign.

Last edited:

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
This Recall page is for government mandated recalls. That’s different from Porsche’s internal repair Campaigns.
The 12v Battery is being rrplaced under a Porsche repair Campaign.
Great to learn, thank you.

Is there any way for us to identify if our vehicle is subject to a Porsche non-government-mandated recall? Or is it just pestering the dealer to find out? My car has been waiting at port since the 3rd, I have to wonder if it will be delivered with the 12v failure or if it will be addressed prior to pickup...and how can I know?

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Is there any way for us to identify if our vehicle is subject to a Porsche non-government-mandated recall? Or is it just pestering the dealer to find out? My car has been waiting at port since the 3rd, I have to wonder if it will be delivered with the 12v failure or if it will be addressed prior to pickup...and how can I know?
It is very unlikely that at this point your car would be delivered without the changes. When they do the PDI, they are supposed to make sure that everything it up to date.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag

I don’t think there’s any way for civilians to know. Your Service advisor would have to enter the VIN into Porsche’s internal systems.

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don’t think there’s any way for civilians to know. Your Service advisor would have to enter the VIN into Porsche’s internal systems.
My dealer told me that if there is a firmware update needed, it shows up as soon as they hook the car up to the computer they use in doing their PDI - and that they can’t do anything else until the update is completed. That’s for new car deliveries, of course...

991.2GT3man

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster Spyder, 991.2GT3 manual, Macau Turbo, 458 Spider, F12
Country flag
One day after Taycan 4S purchase, the car was completely dead. The main battery was at 85% charge and car was plugged to home charger

At one of the largest dealerships in Chicago area, they had no idea there was a 12v battery issue- suggested I “didn’t power it down correctly.” I said that doesn’t make any sense...

2. What is “reasonable” compensation from the dealer for receiving a defective brand new car?

Thanks,
Exact same thing just happened to me today. Car at Porsche now. Had car less than one week. Happened after first charge at 220V using Porsche charger.

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
Exact same thing just happened to me today. Car at Porsche now. Had car less than one week. Happened after first charge at 220V using Porsche charger.
Sad to hear. Do you remember if you were active during the charging session on Porsche connect app or anything else that could help understand?

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag

Thanks,
This is only a thought I’ve had - no data - but with the 12V issue being mainly in US and linked to charging, could the route cause be spikes in the supply having an affect on the car? Like shutting down the 12V car supply for protection?
Sponsored