Taycan 12V drain issues - caught in the act?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yes, as I posted earlier, if you are waiting more than 10 seconds for your car to start charging, you have a problem. Once you connect the charger, it should turn green within about 5 seconds. ?
Interesting that it tok you so long to connect!!??

I am still questioning if this is a difference between J-1772 and CCS 2?

My car and charger connect in less then 10 seconds and I have both PLC connections active. And so far no 12 volt victim for this reason.
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Interesting that it tok you so long to connect!!??

I am still questioning if this is a difference between J-1772 and CCS 2?

My car and charger connect in less then 10 seconds and I have both PLC connections active. And so far no 12 volt victim for this reason.
I was told the problem was the PLC was looking for a PHEM and couldn't find it, so it kept waking the car up every 15 minutes. Porsche's temporary fix is to just shut off the PLC, which won't do in the long term. Hopefully they will introduce a permanent fix shortly.

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
This is all well & good if one is using the Porsche Charger as primary charger, which I'm not. In Norway it's equipped with a standard 230v schuko. Not recommended for more than 10A over time, so most EV owners install dedicated 20A circuits with certified wall chargers in order to be able to charge from 0 to full battery in one night (seldom necessary, but we're a cautious bunch, better safe than sorry). So fingers crossed that Porsche will find & fix the bug in the car, where it's actually at.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I was told the problem was the PLC was looking for a PHEM and couldn't find it, so it kept waking the car up every 15 minutes. Porsche's temporary fix is to just shut off the PLC, which won't do in the long term. Hopefully they will introduce a permanent fix shortly.
This could very well be one reason for the problem. But to just shut off the PMCC PLC feature would that really stop the car looking for a HEM? What will happen if you charge at a public level 2 charger

I remember reading on here someone who experienced the problem overnight at a public charger in a garage.

If Porsche thinks this is the problem it can not be that difficult to shut it off in the car! Small software change should easily be possible OTA.

I personally think Porsche have not got the slightest clue why this happens.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
ok disabled both of the "P" options via the customer service login via the web portal on the PMCC - although both times my vehicle has died (1 death, 1 attempted murder) it was charging from a Tesla gen 2 charger.

but I do occasionally charge with the PMCC when I want to heat up my garage and now it does connect/communicate with the vehicle MUCH faster - it used to take forever to connect to the vehicle when I plugged in the J-1772 - now it's immediate.

I disabled: Powerline Communication
I disabled: PLC Connection to Vehicle
Did you try whether both need to be disabled or only one?

thopster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, McLaren 650S Spyder, MB E300 4Matic
Country flag
I had my 4S die while connected to the PMCC at home earlier this month. I had a Timer and a Home Profile set to charge to 85% by 7:00 AM. I drove it around normally Wednesday, put it in the garage and plugged it in as usual. Thursday morning it was dead. I called my local Porsche dealer and the Shop Foreman and Service Manager came out to the house with a battery box. However, when they connected it, the car didn't come back to life. It reported an electrical fault, and would only go into neutral. With the car in neutral, we pushed it out of the garage, and called Porsche Roadside assistance, who came out on Friday afternoon. The tow truck had a nearly discharged battery box from an earlier tow, and none of my chargers had enough power to activate the car, so we were stuck! I finally got another vehicle alongside the Taycan and jumped the battery from it. This allowed it to go into neutral and be winched on the truck. The jumper cables were noticeably warm after doing this, so there was a lot of power being used by the Taycan.

The Taycan was in the shop 15 days, as they had to clear 248 faults. Nothing was wrong with the 12 volt battery. The word from Porsche was to disable all Timers and Profiles and the Power Line Connect (if it is used - mainly a European thing) until a software fix can be found.

I had read a lot about this problem, and since I have had my 4S since June, I was hoping it wouldn't happen to me. Oops!
I have had my car for 4 days, and this just happened to me!
I am quite upset at this but also relieved that it's not some fatal issue as was described to me by the towing company.

Frustrating with a brand new car, but it should hopefully get sorted out soon.

thopster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, McLaren 650S Spyder, MB E300 4Matic
Country flag
Got feedback from the dealer yesterday, and they will be replacing something in the 800v system that also failed as a result of this. This just gets better and better..... :(

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Got feedback from the dealer yesterday, and they will be replacing something in the 800v system that also failed as a result of this. This just gets better and better..... :(
It has been almost a month since last post on this issue. Resloved or everyone just given up?

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
It has been almost a month since last post on this issue. Resloved or everyone just given up?
Luckily not had the issue reappear since last year. Dealer did a PCM "update" in February - which to my reckoning was already done, then I had the big March-update done two weeks back - and all has been well since..... *fingers crossed*

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had my update a couple, three weeks back, no issue yet. I will report back when it happens again.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
No 12V power this morning when going to my home garage - dead. Car has not been plugged in at home 240V for at least 2 days. ~35% SOC. Currently waiting to hear from Porsche.

4/21 RWD with recall software update recently performed.

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
No 12V power this morning when going to my home garage - dead. Car has not been plugged in at home 240V for at least 2 days. ~35% SOC.
Did you use profiles and/or timers?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you use profiles and/or timers?
Profile: home location
Timer: set to my AM departure time for my weekly commute

For the first few weeks I used timer only set to preferred charging times (5/29 delivery)

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
Profile: home location
Timer: set to my AM departure time for my weekly commute

For the first few weeks I used timer only set to preferred charging times (5/29 delivery)
From Porsche TSB:

Do not use the ‘Preferred Charging Times’ function of 'Profile charging' (e.g. night charging, 12:00 - 6:00
am). Under certain conditions and charging power levels, this can cause an error in the charge time calculation, resulting in increased vehicle electrical system consumption.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From Porsche TSB:

Do not use the ‘Preferred Charging Times’ function of 'Profile charging' (e.g. night charging, 12:00 - 6:00
am). Under certain conditions and charging power levels, this can cause an error in the charge time calculation, resulting in increased vehicle electrical system consumption.
Well WTF?! Hopefully there is a fix for that. As noted above, the car was not charged for a couple days - not plugged in.
Sponsored