Taycan 4S Battery not charging to max mileage range. Feedback requested.

Does your Taycan 4/4S charge to its max mileage range of ~280mi when charging to 100%?

• Total voters

jcs0315

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s, 2020 Tesla Model X
Country flag
My battery used to charge to around 280 miles when charged to 100%. Now it only charges to 240 miles. Anyone else experiencing this problem? The dealership told me this is normal, however, I don’t trust what they are saying. Please let me know if anyone else has this problem or if this is normal.
Sponsored

SDSoccerdad

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My battery used to charge to around 280 miles when charged to 100%. Now it only charges to 240 miles. Anyone else experiencing this problem? The dealership told me this is normal, however, I don’t trust what they are saying. Please let me know if anyone else has this problem or if this is normal.
Same here. In San Diego too, so can’t imagine the “San Diego cold” is the culprit. It’s been in the low to mid 60s.

GreenDay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4, Porsche Macan S
Country flag
Mine only shows ~210 miles @ 100%. I usually charge to 85% which is ~185 miles. Most of my driving it city driving so I'm not too surprised.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Cold weather + computer calculating range based on recent driving style.

Reactions: B61

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The battery doesn’t charge to a mileage. It charges to a state of charge. The number you refer to is just an estimate of the range you’ll get for a given state of charge, and it’s affected by many factors. Did this estimate change gradually or overnight?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Pointless survey given the external factors impacting the results achievable - ambient temperature being the main one not to mention the battery pack size in play!

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Brother, max range is not a fixed number -- its based on your driving profile with an estimate. Change your car modes and watch it change in real time even while sitting in park. Then put in a destination in the PCM and watch it change. Mines at 245 -- always has been.

Reactions: B61

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
....watch this. The battery is not meant to be charged all the way

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
I think this is a common confusion for previous Tesla owners. The Taycan does not fill to a pre-defined number as an indication of "full". It fills up to 83.7KWh as a measure of "100%". Unfortunately, this number isn't shown to you. They do show "%" number though, in the right instrument cluster tube, which you should use as a measure of "is my car charging fully"

The Taycan then proceeds to estimate, based on your previous driving history, just how far you may be able to go considering your current SOC. This is shown to you as your range in miles/km. This is much better than Tesla's approach, since it represents reality. You can count on the number that the Taycan shows you, while the Tesla number is a pipe dream.

I would say 240miles is a great number and you got nothing to worry about. My TTS has climbed from 190miles when new to 220miles with my driving style. I expect this number to go higher in the summer. If you're not getting the expected range from your car, you can request the dealer to pull the battery health stats for you. It is a warranty item that has to meet certain performance.

OP
OP
jcs0315

jcs0315

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I understand that, but when going on long trips my battery is now saying i can travel 50 less miles than when i bought the car. The car only has 5000 miles on it.

OP
OP
jcs0315

jcs0315

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Brother, max range is not a fixed number -- its based on your driving profile with an estimate. Change your car modes and watch it change in real time even while sitting in park. Then put in a destination in the PCM and watch it change. Mines at 245 -- always has been.
Yes i have done this as well. in range mode it only shows 240 miles but it used to show 280 miles. i have a heated garage so i don't think weather is affecting the range while its charging in my garage.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Yes i have done this as well. in range mode it only shows 240 miles but it used to show 280 miles. i have a heated garage so i don't think weather is affecting the range while its charging in my garage.

Max range changes as an estimate based on your driving habits. You drove 5000 miles, the Taycan now estimates 240 based on the range you tend to achieve. Drive around in range mode at 50 mph and I bet you'll have 300mi listed after a few months.

But if your concerned, run the vehicles to near 0 and charge it up and see how my KWh you get listed on the charger. Although that's hard to do without a previous measurement when you were getting a 280mi estimate.

Other dark horse is that Porsche changed something... which maybe they just changed the estimator not your actual range.

Third one is something is wrong, and you should get a feel for that from a 100% KWh charge measurement... however considering this is in line with most peoples estimated range I doubt there is a problem.

Finally I believe the PCM uses external weather measurements from the weather app to change your range estimate, not just the cars ambient temp.

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Panamera 4S EH, 2022 Cayenne
Country flag
To answer your question @100% mileage shows 250 in my 2022 4S.

OP
OP
jcs0315

jcs0315

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Max range changes as an estimate based on your driving habits. You drove 5000 miles, the Taycan now estimates 240 based on the range you tend to achieve. Drive around in range mode at 50 mph and I bet you'll have 300mi listed after a few months.

But if your concerned, run the vehicles to near 0 and charge it up and see how my KWh you get listed on the charger. Although that's hard to do without a previous measurement when you were getting a 280mi estimate.

Other dark horse is that Porsche changed something... which maybe they just changed the estimator not your actual range.

Third one is something is wrong, and you should get a feel for that from a 100% KWh charge measurement... however considering this is in line with most peoples estimated range I doubt there is a problem.

Finally I believe the PCM uses external weather measurements from the weather app to change your range estimate, not just the cars ambient temp.
thank you. this helps tremendously. i guess i'm just comparing my taycan to my tesla, and you cant really do that.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Right now, at the end of the winter, my T4S shows 256 miles / 410km of range @ 100% SOC. The best I had in the summer was > 500km / > 312 miles...

Cheers,
Henrik
Sponsored