akcpvzk

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hello everyone. I just took delivery of our Taycan 4s on Saturday and I'm loving it so far. While I was waiting for admin approval for my forum registration I have been browsing the posts here and have already learned so much useful information.

There is one topic that I haven't seen posted so it feels like I'm the only one experiencing this. Let me preface this by saying I know I shouldn't have left the dealership with the car if I thought this would be a problem, and ultimately we can work around it for now. That said, we were told this would only last a few days and the reason it happened still doesn't make any sense.

After we signed all the paper work and got the keys we were told that Porsche (as in PAG) didn't ship the car with the main PMCC parts. Inside the trunk the black canvas bag with all of the PMCC components was open and the parts were separated out, with the control module and hose missing. The dealership claimed that a few Taycans that they have received recently were arriving without the PMCC. They claimed the reason the bag was opened was because in the past, sales reps were "borrowing" PMCCs from incoming Taycans and giving them to customers that haven't received their Taycan yet, so the customer could set up their garage prior to picking up the car. So, to prevent that, they recently changed their process to "check those parts into inventory" when the car first arrives. Yes, this all seemed suspicious, and again I probably shouldn't have driven off. But if I'm being honest, we were excited to get the car after waiting almost 3 months and our rep said the PMCC "should be in this week."

The story took a turn on Monday when I called to follow up and found out that dealership had "ordered" the PMCC but it was on back-order. At this point I was convinced the dealership was lying about why the part was missing. My reasoning was that I knew for a fact that sales reps have commandeered this part in the past (hence their new "check in" process) and (b) why would they need to separately order something that is already part of my build and PAG would/should send anyway if it was a PAG issue? At this point I just wanted the truth because if the dealership took it then they needed to do something better than ordering the part (I suggested giving me one from the showroom until mine arrives), but if Porsche isn't shipping this part out on some Taycans, then I wouldn't focus on the dealership but would expect a general communication from PAG. Since Monday, I've talked to so many different people trying to figure out what was really going on.

I have to say it's been surreal. Complete information blackout from anyone associated with Porsche. By happenstance, we had been communicating with someone who's title is "Spokeperson, Porche Taycan" prior to receiving the car. It had been general questions and when I told him this story he didn't confirm or deny anything but said he would send it through his channels. Dealership (I've spoken to the GM and the regional manager) keeps saying it's Porsche AG (what they've been telling me from the get-go). Porsche's 800# customer service has had a case open while they get more information from the dealer, and finally this morning, a rep said that, indeed, it's been a problem with some Taycans, but I also know they've been communicating with the dealership about my case so I'm not sure if they are advocating for them or me in this situation. If this was a matter of potentially waiting a week or two, I wouldn't sweat it, but the dealership's GM couldn't even guarantee me that I would have the part in 2 months and all the regional manager said he could do was stay on top of the part order.

I guess if nothing else I can be a cautionary tale, but also I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this or heard any stories that are similar to my experience.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I’ve not heard this

the PMCC sucks it’s a terrible EV charger

recommend you get your money/value back from the dealer for the PMCC and buy a High Quality ClipperCreek HCS50 or HCS60 - the HCS50 will plug into the same NEMA 14-50 your PMCC would’ve used - the HCS60 requires a 60 amp breaker and will charge your Taycan faster than the PMCC

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-40-to-80/40-amp-plu-charger-nema-14-50
https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-40-to-80/hcs-60-48-amp-ev-charging-station

this is a terrible and confusing story and Porsche and your dealer are obviously up to something, but it’s unclear what it is and why...

however, just move on - there are lots of high quality EV chargers (EVSE’s) for less $$$ than the Porsche offering - the Porsche one isn’t in fact all that great.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I think this is a widespread issue that goes to inventory control, somewhere along the line these units are being pilfered either because the factory is not shipping them properly and or some salesmen/dealerships are taking components or entire units from one vehicle to move another vehicle that is missing a component. or as you say they are giving units to people prior to delivery and then not recovering the PMCC once the car comes in.
My car was to have a 25 ft cord but was delivered with a 6ft cord. the car was delivered to my home and that is when I discovered the missing cord. I went right back to the dealership the next day and demanded the proper cord and the solution was to take a 25 ft cord from another car, which an executive was using as a demo car and give that cord to me. as a side note I had overheard a conversation at the dealership of how they are playing "musical chairs" with the PMCCs and unfortunately for you, the music stopped for you and your car. I hope they made good on it.
the bottom line is that people need to put their delivery checklist that the PMCC must be in the car and that it is complete and ready for you to use.
A car delivered without a PMCC is a useless car.

OP
OP

akcpvzk

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
"musical chairs"
I couldn't agree with you more. This is the exact phrase I used. And you are on to something in that the supply chain didn't have any room for failure because Porsche didn't anticipate that dealers would pass along the part and they didn't think to make sure there was a surplus of PMCC up front. Now, I believe this is a legitimate problem in the supply chain (something global/macro level) and the dealership community can't mitigate it.

OP
OP

akcpvzk

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I think this is a widespread issue that goes to inventory control, somewhere along the line these units are being pilfered either because the factory is not shipping them properly and or some salesmen/dealerships are taking components or entire units from one vehicle to move another vehicle that is missing a component. or as you say they are giving units to people prior to delivery and then not recovering the PMCC once the car comes in.
My car was to have a 25 ft cord but was delivered with a 6ft cord. the car was delivered to my home and that is when I discovered the missing cord. I went right back to the dealership the next day and demanded the proper cord and the solution was to take a 25 ft cord from another car, which an executive was using as a demo car and give that cord to me. as a side note I had overheard a conversation at the dealership of how they are playing "musical chairs" with the PMCCs and unfortunately for you, the music stopped for you and your car. I hope they made good on it.
the bottom line is that people need to put their delivery checklist that the PMCC must be in the car and that it is complete and ready for you to use.
I have ben read
I’ve not heard this

recommend you get your money/value back from the dealer for the PMCC and buy a High Quality ClipperCreek HCS50 or HCS60 - the HCS50 will plug into the same NEMA 14-50 your PMCC would’ve used - the HCS60 requires a 60 amp breaker and will charge your Taycan faster than the PMCC

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-40-to-80/40-amp-plu-charger-nema-14-50
https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-40-to-80/hcs-60-48-amp-ev-charging-station

this is a terrible and confusing story and Porsche and your dealer are obviously up to something, but it’s unclear what it is and why...

however, just move on - there are lots of high quality EV chargers (EVSE’s) for less $$$ than the Porsche offering - the Porsche one isn’t in fact all that great.
I have been studying that ClipperCreek unit and have already spoken to an electrician about hardwiring a 100AMP circuit.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
When my car was delivered the charging equipment was present but the cloth bag was missing. They got me one from who knows where.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
while it is horrible horrible to have delivery without contracted items - the car is far from useless - and can make use of _ANY_ standard EV charger of which there are a vast and high quality set of options.

EV chargers are not manufacturer specific and you do not have to use a Porsche charger to charge your Taycan - you can for example charge your Taycan with a charger for for a Tesla, or are charger for a ChevyBolt - and you can Charge your Bolt with your Porsche charger.

These things are interchangeable, standard and will outlast the actual car.

OP
OP

akcpvzk

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
***UPDATE***
I just got off the phone with the largest Porsche dealership (Champion in FL). Spoke to a very nice guy in parts. Initially he said it was fishy and that they didn't have that problem at their dealership. Once he checked his system for the part, he did a 180. Turns out they have 13 PMCC's on order. So there is a global problem here.

So anyone picking up a Taycan that expects to use the PMCC, call ahead before picking up the car to confirm it's there.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you shoud have your dealer lookup the parts cost of the PMCC components (charter, cords, bags, locking screws) and simply demand a cash/check for the parts cost of the missing items.

with the $3200 budget for those items you can do really really great things for a home EV charging set up, way way way better than the Porsche offerings.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
honestly folks I’m at a loss as to why I can’t just say “do this” and be done - this is a great option

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...n’t-have-made-it-any-easier….4021/#post-55115

equal charge rate to the PMCC - ready for hte future for multiple EV or when EV friends visit - one breaker, one plug - install and done! High quality and highly reliable - clippercreek chargers are among the best in the biz - simlple charger no more no less - it ”just works”.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So anyone picking up a Taycan that expects to use the PMCC, call ahead before picking up the car to confirm it's there.
I’d view this as an opportunity to buy a better EV charger than what Porsche is offering - get your money back, move on, and buy any number of high quality J-1772 chargers for the US market - have your dealer cut you a check for the missing PMCC - I doubt you’ll regret it - and you’ll be doing them a favor.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
When I ordered my Taycan the PMCC was the forced free option. I have no interest in it as I have my own charger installed in my underground garage and have a smaller/more versatile charger for emergency use on trips.

I had no intention of ever even opening the bag with it.

On car collection my Porsche Centre were happy to keep the PMCC and credit the cost (which I hadn't paid for) to my account. It was then I thought – hmmm there are in short supply.

This was two weeks ago.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have been studying that ClipperCreek unit and have already spoken to an electrician about hardwiring a 100AMP circuit.
that’s a great install for future proofing your garage for now and the future - 100 amp circuit for future is great - just wanna make sure you don’t get the clippercreek HCS100 charger and expect it to charge your taycan any faster...

the HCS100 is a great product and supports charging _ANY_ EV from 20-80 amps - but if you own a Taycan you MUST purchase the 19.2 kW charging option to take advantage of the ClipperCreek 80 amp charge rate

normal Taycan’s can charge at 11 kW or 48 amps

a 100 amp circuit is a great option for your garage - and prepares you for the future and dual EV chargers - but it not fully useable with a single EV - but a great way to make the 2nd EV easier...

the ClipperCreek HCS 60 matches the Taycan’s north american full charge rate - 11 kW 48 amps (60 amp breaker)
the CLipperCreek HCS 50 matches the PMCC charge rate and comes in 3 options (NEMA 14-50, NEMA 6-50, Hardwired) - 9.6 kW 40 amps (50 amp breaker)

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
I’ve not heard this

I have a PMCC and all works perfect, charging at max all the time (about 11 kwh). What in particular was not ok in your case?

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
When I ordered my Taycan the PMCC was the forced free option. I have no interest in it as I have my own charger installed in my underground garage and have a smaller/more versatile charger for emergency use on trips.

I had no intention of ever even opening the bag with it.

On car collection my Porsche Centre were happy to keep the PMCC and credit the cost (which I hadn't paid for) to my account. It was then I thought – hmmm there are in short supply.

This was two weeks ago.
it was a forced paid option in my country ?
Sponsored