thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Last you week you may recall I shared efficiency stats on driving through the high mountains of Colorado, but after driving over Vail Pall and through the Eisenhower tunnel the drive was all down hill for 60 miles. Yesterday, I decided to drive from Denver to Salt Lake City and get a better understanding of how the efficiency is impacted by going mainly up hill for the first 160 miles of the drive. The first part of the drive yesterday covered the 160 miles from Denver to the Electrify America charger in Glenwood Springs, CO. The first 100 miles are marked by two high mountain passes - Eisenhower tunnel at 11,000ft and Vail Pass at 10,600ft. I will share a few pictures that show the start of the drive, the battery state at the top of Eisenhower tunnel, the affect of regen/recoup after coming down from Eisenhower tunnel, the state of battery at the base of Vail pass, the state of battery at the top of Vail Pass, the state of the battery at the bottom of Vail Pass showing the affect of regen/recoup, and then finally the over all efficiency and battery state when I arrived at Glenwood Springs after 160 miles. I realize that few of you live in high mountains, but I am impressed with my 4s' efficiency. I have 20's on the car, and the weather was between 50 degrees and 75 degrees during the drive.

Start of the drive:

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s driving efficiency in the high mountains of Colorado - much better than anticipated IMG_9633
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s driving efficiency in the high mountains of Colorado - much better than anticipated IMG_9635

What the GPS showed for expected efficiency of the drive from Denver to Glenwood Springs:

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s driving efficiency in the high mountains of Colorado - much better than anticipated IMG_9636

Efficiency stats to the top of Eisenhower tunnel - high consumption due to 60 miles of up hill driving:

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s driving efficiency in the high mountains of Colorado - much better than anticipated IMG_9645

affects showing the impact of 10 miles of down hill coming down from the tunnel - notice the recoup/regen affects on overall numbers:
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s driving efficiency in the high mountains of Colorado - much better than anticipated IMG_9646

This pictures shows efficiency stats at the bottom of Vail pass:

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s driving efficiency in the high mountains of Colorado - much better than anticipated IMG_9651

Here is the impact to the climb up to the top of Vail pass - going east to west is short and steep so impact was not to major:

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s driving efficiency in the high mountains of Colorado - much better than anticipated IMG_9656

Here is the impact of regen/recoup on the 10 mile decent down from Vail pass into Vail:

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s driving efficiency in the high mountains of Colorado - much better than anticipated IMG_9660

And, finally, the over all efficient results when I arrived into Glenwood Springs, CO:
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s driving efficiency in the high mountains of Colorado - much better than anticipated IMG_9662

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s driving efficiency in the high mountains of Colorado - much better than anticipated IMG_9663

There was a lot of traffic and and construction, so it kept my overall speed down, which helped with the efficiency. Overall, I am impressed with how the car handles in the high mountains, and the overall battery efficiency for driving long distance. I made two 20 minutes charging stops at Electrify America locations yesterday and was able to cover the 550 miles from Denver to Salt Lake City.

I realize many of you do not live in high mountains like we have in Colorado, but I wanted to share efficiency stats for you that live in more mountainous locations. Don't be afraid to take the car out and lay down some miles because the vehicle is very efficient.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s driving efficiency in the high mountains of Colorado - much better than anticipated IMG_9646

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
Thanks for the post. I will be doing almost that exact drive tomorrow and was curious how the Taycan was going to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the post. I will be doing almost that exact drive tomorrow and was curious how the Taycan was going to do.
Thanks for the post!

Are those numbers in the pic I kept the summary of the drive without charging?

Is that drive pretty much up and down or was it also curvy and fun to drive? How was the drive itself?

thanks again

@Reg : I made the drive from Denver to Glenwood Springs yesterday in one shot - it is only 160 miles, so very easy to do. the challenge is the construction through Glenwood Canyon right now which reduces you to stop and go traffic for 10 miles. In regards to the drive, it is not super curvy or that fun because it is driving on an interstate through the mountains. I have had the car for a month now and have driven to Aspen, via Independence Pass, and that was on small, curvy roads and super fun. Driving to Salt Lake from Denver on I-70 is not that fun. For me it was an experiment in understand the efficiency of my 4s in the mountains since it is what I have to do if I drive west of Denver. What I found out is that the car is more efficient than what is forecast on A Better Route Planner - for instance, I was able to skip Grand Junction yesterday to charge. Going 550 miles and only stopping to charge twice for 20 minutes is not bad considering you are in a Taycan.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Great data and pictures, thanks! I include a picture of my range meter from today.

Since one week, I have a charger port in the garage, the car is now running completely on solar.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s driving efficiency in the high mountains of Colorado - much better than anticipated T4S_20200710

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
@thecoloradokid thanks for a great example of real life driving. Impressive range and consumption. Great to hear somebody reporting some hilly driving. Love it!

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Plus, some roads in Colorado are so high that ICE have problems with the thinner air... EVs don't.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So @thecoloradokid if you play with ABRP, I was wondering if you can try 300Wh/mi as the 65mph est. That's what I think will match the car.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
Last you week you may recall I shared efficiency stats on driving through the high mountains of Colorado, but after driving over Vail Pall and through the Eisenhower tunnel the drive was all down hill for 60 miles. Yesterday, I decided to drive from Denver to Salt Lake City and get a better understanding of how the efficiency is impacted by going mainly up hill for the first 160 miles of the drive. The first part of the drive yesterday covered the 160 miles from Denver to the Electrify America charger in Glenwood Springs, CO. The first 100 miles are marked by two high mountain passes - Eisenhower tunnel at 11,000ft and Vail Pass at 10,600ft. I will share a few pictures that show the start of the drive, the battery state at the top of Eisenhower tunnel, the affect of regen/recoup after coming down from Eisenhower tunnel, the state of battery at the base of Vail pass, the state of battery at the top of Vail Pass, the state of the battery at the bottom of Vail Pass showing the affect of regen/recoup, and then finally the over all efficiency and battery state when I arrived at Glenwood Springs after 160 miles. I realize that few of you live in high mountains, but I am impressed with my 4s' efficiency. I have 20's on the car, and the weather was between 50 degrees and 75 degrees during the drive.

Start of the drive:

IMG_9633.jpg
IMG_9635.jpg

What the GPS showed for expected efficiency of the drive from Denver to Glenwood Springs:

IMG_9636.jpg

Efficiency stats to the top of Eisenhower tunnel - high consumption due to 60 miles of up hill driving:

IMG_9645.jpg

affects showing the impact of 10 miles of down hill coming down from the tunnel - notice the recoup/regen affects on overall numbers:
IMG_9646.jpg

IMG_9651.jpg

Here is the impact to the climb up to the top of Vail pass - going east to west is short and steep so impact was not to major:

IMG_9656.jpg

Here is the impact of regen/recoup on the 10 mile decent down from Vail pass into Vail:

IMG_9660.jpg

And, finally, the over all efficient results when I arrived into Glenwood Springs, CO:
IMG_9662.jpg

IMG_9663.jpg

There was a lot of traffic and and construction, so it kept my overall speed down, which helped with the efficiency. Overall, I am impressed with how the car handles in the high mountains, and the overall battery efficiency for driving long distance. I made two 20 minutes charging stops at Electrify America locations yesterday and was able to cover the 550 miles from Denver to Salt Lake City.

I realize many of you do not live in high mountains like we have in Colorado, but I wanted to share efficiency stats for you that live in more mountainous locations. Don't be afraid to take the car out and lay down some miles because the vehicle is very efficient.

IMG_9646.jpg
I did a good chunk of this drive myself today and was really impressed with the range I got out of my 4S. I left the house at 100% and supposedly 215 miles of charge. I drove 225 miles and had 30% left when I got back. I did not charge on my trip (see below). That implies a range of 321 miles!

I would have had even better range, but coming up Vail Pass I was passing slow moving trucks behind a Corvette ZR1. As far as I could tell, he was accelerating at full throttle and I was keeping pace. We were at about 10,000 feet above sea level.

The ZR1 driver was surprised enough that he was giving me all kinds of thumbs up signals when I had to split off from him. I don't think he expected anyone to hang with him.

The one downside was that the Electrify America station on my route said it was available but it failed to charge my car and customer support couldn't help. I am glad the Taycan has exceeded expectations on range, but Electrify America needs to get the Frisco station working reliably or travel to and from the mountains is going to be tricky for Denver people.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@kmcdonal : you are exactly right. the Frisco EA location is a disaster, and has been for over a month. This is why it was so important for me to figure out the efficiency impact in driving from Denver to Glenwood Springs because I do not want to depend on the Frisco EA location. The good thing is that there are also 50kw Chargepoint chargers in Eagle, Carbondale, and Basalt, but I have not used them yet. .

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
Don't show me that :)
I don't even get 190 on that display on a full charge!

Start of the drive:

IMG_9633.jpg
IMG_9635.jpg

IMG_9636.jpg

IMG_9645.jpg

IMG_9646.jpg

IMG_9651.jpg

IMG_9656.jpg

IMG_9660.jpg

IMG_9662.jpg

IMG_9663.jpg

IMG_9646.jpg

binobeetle

First Name
Binoy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Focus RS
Country flag
Thanks for the post. What was your trip time? I am in the process of evaluating EV for road trips and would like to know the delta between gas car and the Taycan. I did the Laramie route to Salt Lake City from Longmont and it took me 7hrs and 30mins with all the stops. And what was your average speed during your trip.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the post. What was your trip time? I am in the process of evaluating EV for road trips and would like to know the delta between gas car and the Taycan. I did the Laramie route to Salt Lake City from Longmont and it took me 7hrs and 30mins with all the stops. And what was your average speed during your trip.

You have to factor two 20 to 30 minute charging stops - one in Glenwood Spring and one in Green River, UT - if you are driving from Denver to Salt Lake in a Taycan. Currently, you cannot take I-80 from Denver to Salt Lake in a Taycan because there are no high speed CCS chargers across Wyoming.

I hope this helps.

binobeetle

First Name
Binoy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Focus RS
Country flag
You have to factor two 20 to 30 minute charging stops - one in Glenwood Spring and one in Green River, UT - if you are driving from Denver to Salt Lake in a Taycan. Currently, you cannot take I-80 from Denver to Salt Lake in a Taycan because there are no high speed CCS chargers across Wyoming.

I hope this helps.
Thanks. You answered my next question as well.
Sponsored