JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Makes me even happier that I brought mine home today.
Out of interest, when you went more than 300 miles can you say what the speed, air temperature, highway conditions and car settings were? Or anyone else who has recorded more than 300 miles?

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan 4S, Audi e-tron, Chrysler Town&Country
Country flag
Out of interest, when you went more than 300 miles can you say what the speed, air temperature, highway conditions and car settings were? Or anyone else who has recorded more than 300 miles?
Well, since I just picked it up yesterday, I have no long trips to reference.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
I was driving avg speed 65 mph and had AC on., normal setting. All driving was on a freeway. At the time i was unaware of the range mode option. I only learned about it by reading forum posts. With range mode i am looking forward to see what the range will be. My Taycan does have the premium battery and i made sure to charge the battery to 100 percent I am very satisfied with the car’s range. So far every trip i have taken in the 200-300 mi range, never had to stop to recharge and on one trip the car sat for 10 days in the hotel parking lot and still i did not do a recharge to go 275 miles round trip. Normally i charge to 85% when not planning a trip

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan 4S, Audi e-tron, Chrysler Town&Country
Country flag
To be honest, I wanted an EV sports car. That is what I got and it drives like a Porsche. Longer range is just a bonus.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I was driving avg speed 65 mph and had AC on., normal setting. All driving was on a freeway. At the time i was unaware of the range mode option. I only learned about it by reading forum posts. With range mode i am looking forward to see what the range will be. My Taycan does have the premium battery and i made sure to charge the battery to 100 percent I am very satisfied with the car’s range. So far every trip i have taken in the 200-300 mi range, never had to stop to recharge and on one trip the car sat for 10 days in the hotel parking lot and still i did not do a recharge to go 275 miles round trip. Normally i charge to 85% when not planning a trip
re: range mode, as the weather is turning warmer you need to read the manual about warnings about using range mode after fast charging, in short it says not to for at least 30 minutes

BuckStrom

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here is a link to a you-tube with a Range Test on a 4S giving a little under 280 miles from 100% to 0% charge at highway speeds. In any event it is much better than the EPA value.

This is probably more realistic than the Edwards test

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Here is a link to a you-tube with a Range Test on a 4S giving a little under 280 miles from 100% to 0% charge at highway speeds. In any event it is much better than the EPA value.

This is probably more realistic than the Edwards test
I've been doing a lot of aggressive driving and I am constantly at about 130 miles at around 50%. Outside temp has been around 15°C.

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
This test is fairly close to what I can squeeze out of my Turbo in summer conditions, flat freeway driving, range mode and cruise control. I have never run mine down to 0% so this video was educational about what happens at that point.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
... this video was educational about what happens at that point.
The flashing red charger symbol on the HUD at 18:38-39, as it rolls up to the charger station.

Last edited:

plamichigan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne, 1970s era Buick
Country flag
This is ideal conditions. It is also a testament to self-control, as I don't know anyone else that bought a Taycan S and drives it on the highway at 65 mph on dry pavement for hours! People driving at 65 mph on the highway in daylight and on dry roads would be unusual most places.
You must be a very disciplined driver.

plamichigan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne, 1970s era Buick
Country flag
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html

Ddmunds listed the the range for a number of EV’s. Taycan’4 s significantly exceeds Porche’s 203 mi range.

I easily have gone over 300 miles with the car

I've posted separately that, in real-world conditions (meaning driving when it is 50 degrees, driving at typical highway speeds, accelerating sometimes like you just bought a sports car), the 200-mile range was realistic in fall-summer weather, and optimistic in really cold weather.

However, the Edmunds data gives us a clue as to why the EPA estimate is so low compared to theirs. They have the EPA showing 49kwh/100 miles--way higher than Edmunds at 32kwh/100. EPA must be turning off all regen, and accelerating like a bandit, and possibly using the home charger and counting the amps. In my own driving (which, as noted, includes driving at actual highway speeds, and occasional enjoyable acceleration) I get substantially better than 49kwh from the car battery. That's more like a dead of winter number.

PLA

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
EPA 49Kw/100mi is not realistic. I have to drive hard in Sport+ in cold weather to show that number. It is not average highway/city driving.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
High time we had “real world tests” performed in UK as the numbers quoted above are 20%+ higher than we would dream of expecting here with the P+ battery.

300 miles just seems like a fantasy and anything above that just incredulous.

Range mode, ECO plus, 20” - 11C, flat, 65 - average speed 56 (70 on motorway), no flooring ... just as economical as you like - 240 - 245 tops.

There must be different kinds of electricity out there!
Sponsored