feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Out of interest, when you went more than 300 miles can you say what the speed, air temperature, highway conditions and car settings were? Or anyone else who has recorded more than 300 miles?
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S gets 323 mile real world range in Edmunds EV range test! 1617102711659

305 miles in city and on city highways in Normal mode with 24°C (75°F)
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
High time we had “real world tests” performed in UK as the numbers quoted above are 20%+ higher than we would dream of expecting here with the P+ battery.

300 miles just seems like a fantasy and anything above that just incredulous.

Range mode, ECO plus, 20” - 11C, flat, 65 - average speed 56 (70 on motorway), no flooring ... just as economical as you like - 240 - 245 tops.

There must be different kinds of electricity out there!
[/QUOTE/]

Wait for a nice warm spring day!
Temperature makes such a big difference. I can now easily get over 400 km ( 240 miles) in spring time, however that is not driving on flat ground. It is down hill 550 meters 1600 -1700 feet) and return back up. A normal 996 takes more than 16 Liters /100 km driving the same stretch. That is about 50 % more than driving on a flat motorway at constant 130 km/h!!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
High time we had “real world tests” performed in UK as the numbers quoted above are 20%+ higher than we would dream of expecting here with the P+ battery.

300 miles just seems like a fantasy and anything above that just incredulous.

Range mode, ECO plus, 20” - 11C, flat, 65 - average speed 56 (70 on motorway), no flooring ... just as economical as you like - 240 - 245 tops.

There must be different kinds of electricity out there!
Humidity?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Humidity?
50 - 60% but it can’t account for such a differential, surely?

Today it’s 13C, 63% humidity, car is in the garage, 85% SoC, range 204 miles (equates to 240 miles max), car parked but Range Mode will add some miles. The high numbers above in the thread don’t assume Range mode. It’s almost like use of the heater (rather than the chiller) saps significant energy. As a rule I vary between 21C & 23C at this time of year.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Humidity? Probably not. Range, if done under the same conditions in any location in the world, should be the same. It's just hard to get the same conditions and lots of information is left out when you do see test results reported. If your speed is low enough (50 mph?) and not too cold outside, you can easily get 300+.

Would be interesting to see for those who can do it, as to what energy consumption is under really high speeds, say 100 - 150 mph+.

If chargers were ubiquitous, at every gas station, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. As I understand it, at least some countries in Europe are requiring this. Will never happen in America. Could happen in Canada.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I can vouch for that from a UK perspective. Back in July I was getting 270 miles plus of range (20', Turbo, Normal mode, Eco at 20C/68F). However, from numerous posts over the last 6 months, you will see that my range plummeted once we got to October/November. Small changes cause huge changes in range. I'm actually pretty sure humidity makes a big difference - in Oct/Nov/Dec we were getting humidity in the 90-100% range. That makes a difference if on a speedy motorway drive. In a UK Winter, unless you pre-heat the battery, you are getting closer to EPA figures, especially on motorways with 70mph+ speeds.

Took the car out today for the first time in over 3 months, and with the unusually warmer temps, consumption was around 35kWh/100miles, which is way better than I was getting pre-lockdown. Let's see if we start getting the high range figures once we're in the Summer. If not, then my battery has degraded in a year!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I can vouch for that from a UK perspective. Back in July I was getting 270 miles plus of range (20', Turbo, Normal mode, Eco at 20C/68F). However, from numerous posts over the last 6 months, you will see that my range plummeted once we got to October/November. Small changes cause huge changes in range. I'm actually pretty sure humidity makes a big difference - in Oct/Nov/Dec we were getting humidity in the 90-100% range. That makes a difference if on a speedy motorway drive. In a UK Winter, unless you pre-heat the battery, you are getting closer to EPA figures, especially on motorways with 70mph+ speeds.

Took the car out today for the first time in over 3 months, and with the unusually warmer temps, consumption was around 35kWh/100miles, which is way better than I was getting pre-lockdown. Let's see if we start getting the high range figures once we're in the Summer. If not, then my battery has degraded in a year!
Interesting. I’ve only known cold weather since Nov’20 but have higher expectations for range in our Scottish “summer” when it comes.

I still have a nagging doubt as some of the big ranges came from US (NY) in winter so is it a case of apples and pears or something else.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Even on a long highway drive in my current and past cars, I've noticed that trip computer's average speed is often lower than I think it would be. So even on a trip where I think "I've been doing 80mph", the reality is usually more like 50 due to inevitable traffic jams, slower speeds once you get to your destination, etc. So tests of range that involve average speeds of 65mph or higher seem like fantasies for me-- i've never been able to average that type of speed on a long trip. Not sure how well average trip speed correlates to trip consumption for EVs? Does times in slow moving traffic "cancel" out the portions of the trip where you accelerate to merge, pass and then achieve higher than average speeds? In an ICE car, time in slow or stop and go traffic obviously kills your trip mileage but EVs thrive in those scenarios.

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 Cabriolet (991.2)
Country flag
I know you all enjoy beating the EPA estimates in a Taycan; however, I have yet to see anyone taking on a long trip here in the desert Southwest when it gets to be 105F-115F (41C-46C) as it does in June, July, August & even early September. This is particularly hazardous when driving along our somewhat desolate at times Interstates and US Highways where cell phone service can be non-existent. A trip like going from Phoenix or Tucson AZ to Las Vegas NV isn't safely & comfortably possible in those heats unless you get 230-250 miles on a 100% charge. Speed limit on the Interstate 10 is 75 mph and if you try to go that speed the 18-wheelers will pass you by. One has to drive 80-85 mph, with the full AC on to maintain 72F-75F (22C-24C) cabin temperature. Also, recharging at a Level 2 charger is impossible. The Taycan's heat-pump based battery temperature control system takes all the juice just to try to get the battery cooled down below 100F (38C) when trying to use a Level 2. Even using a DC Fast 50 kW charger can take over 2 hours when its that hot to charge to 80%. The cabin pre-cool feature doesn't work when the SOC is below 25%. As pointed out, Range can't be used after recharging in that heat for at least 30 minutes.

The range issue is complicated here by the lack of DC Fast charging stations in the 100 kW or greater charging capacity that are less than 200 miles apart! ColoradoKid did a drive here in what I consider Goldilocks conditions between the EA charging station in Indio CA and the EA charging station in Buckeye AZ (just outside Phoenix). A of it along I-10. He did the 219 mile drive starting with a 99% SOC in Indio and ended up in Buckeye with a 18% SOC remaining. I believe he did it in September-October when the temperatures didn't exceed 95F (35C). It was in his Taycan 4S withe the 93.4 kWh Performance Plus Battery. Wonder what the range & SOC results would have been had he driven that route when the temperatures were in the 105F-115F range, like it was last year in the summer?

Let me know if someone wants to do a range test here in the desert Southwest in June, July or August on the same or similar route that the ColoradoKid drove. Not even our dealerships here in Phoenix or Tucson will say anything about range when driving during the summer.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
EPA 49Kw/100mi is not realistic. I have to drive hard in Sport+ in cold weather to show that number. It is not average highway/city driving.
I can get 49kWh/100 if I drive at high speeds and in colder weather. I saw an 82kWh/100 when I did 5 laps on the track this summer.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html

Ddmunds listed the the range for a number of EV’s. Taycan’4 s significantly exceeds Porche’s 203 mi range.

I easily have gone over 300 miles with the car
Absolutely no disrespect. I find it very hard to believe that anyone gets 300+ miles of range, sorry. My two other buddies, me and the techs at my dealership have never seen anything like that. We have seen 235, maybe, as a top number- and in winter and driving hard, 150-165 miles of range. Best I've ever gotten is 214 and I tried hard to get that, wasn't much in the way of fun.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Absolutely no disrespect. I find it very hard to believe that anyone gets 300+ miles of range, sorry.
I don't think you can get less than 300 miles, if you

1. drive in regular traffic, no highway speeding
2. take it easy on the acceleration
3. switch off recuperation options
4. seek and use traffic opportunities for letting the car coast
5. drive in temperature where you do not need the AC, open window sometimes
6. live in a flat landscape
7. avoid traffic lights

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S gets 323 mile real world range in Edmunds EV range test! 1618484798278

I always charge to 100%

Just keep an eye on your average consumption.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S gets 323 mile real world range in Edmunds EV range test! 1618485146394

Same works for constant higher speeds on highways, but consumption goes up a bit of course. The consumption here is also a bit higher because on one leg of the trip, I was rushed to get back and drove Porsche style. I also started to used the AC again - getting hot here!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I always charge to 100%
FYI: charging to 100% all the time is not recommended by porsche unless you plan to immediately drive the car to "burn" off the high SOC
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S gets 323 mile real world range in Edmunds EV range test! Screenshot (3)_LI

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I don't think you can get less than 300 miles, if you

1. drive in regular traffic, no highway speeding
2. take it easy on the acceleration
3. switch off recuperation options
4. seek and use traffic opportunities for letting the car coast
5. drive in temperature where you do not need the AC, open window sometimes
6. live in a flat landscape
7. avoid traffic lights

1618484798278.png

I always charge to 100%

Just keep an eye on your average consumption.

1618485146394.png

Same works for constant higher speeds on highways, but consumption goes up a bit of course. The consumption here is also a bit higher because on one leg of the trip, I was rushed to get back and drove Porsche style. I also started to used the AC again - getting hot here!
Alas, not in UK - nowhere near. 240 miles is my max so far, always use RANGE mode (ECO PLUS on Climate) on long journey. For example journey to Edinburgh from Aberdeen is 98% (or more) a motorway / freeway / dual carriageway and speed is a max 70 mph. Distance 126 miles mostly flat and light traffic (so cruise most of the time) generally end up with 14 - 16% battery (if I can’t stand the cold) from 85% SOC.