John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can think of somethings worse.

Driving down the highway at the 70 limit and getting swiped by someone doing 90 mph.

Walking along the side of the road and having someone stomp on the accelerator, lose control and kill me.
I don't think like that.
Sponsored

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You mean you don't think about other road users? or you just don't think.

Nothing wrong with wanting to test the car out, but take it to the track for the safety of all concerned.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You mean you don't think about other road users? or you just don't think.

Nothing wrong with wanting to test the car out, but take it to the track for the safety of all concerned.
I don't think.

I mind my own business, drive at the pace that I want. 85-90 on Tollway is very reasonable.

JustLooking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Huracan, M2, R1 (+ Emira, CyberTruck)
Country flag
I don't think.

I mind my own business, drive at the pace that I want. 85-90 on Tollway is very reasonable.
John, the thing you have to keep in mind about these tests is they're setting up all the settings perfectly and are on cruise control at steady state, hypermiling. That's way different than normal (aggressive ? ) driving, where you accelerate to pass cars, decelerate due to traffic, want to be comfortable in the cabin and listen to music, don't get to choose the weather, etc.

Personally I don't accelerate like the guy in the video did. It's pretty much WOT to merge with traffic and even driving in normal traffic, you go to pass someone and don't even notice how all of the sudden you've gained 30-40mph in a span of a few seconds.

I know on my Model 3, when I was driving ~90mph for an extended period of time (and a few stints past 100mph to pass) it definitely drained the battery significantly faster. I suspect that speed, not babying acceleration and cold weather accounts for your "reduced range."

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
John, the thing you have to keep in mind about these tests is they're setting up all the settings perfectly and are on cruise control at steady state, hypermiling. That's way different than normal (aggressive ? ) driving, where you accelerate to pass cars, decelerate due to traffic, want to be comfortable in the cabin and listen to music, don't get to choose the weather, etc.
aren't the operative words, "real world driving"?
for many people driving their cars faster than the PSL is the real world.
I live in FLA and when traveling on I95 the real world driving can be 80+ mph when traffic allows.
in my limited real world testing I can count on around 250 miles from a start with a 100% SOC driving in my real world.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well,

70-73 degrees today. Car charged to 100% (Profile for 90% was active ....it's done this before). I drove 157.8 miles today, about 135 of it was on tollway and highway - I actually went over 100 mph on the tollway a couple/three times. The highway drive was relaxed at 55-65 as there is road construction. And the amazing part is that I have 96 miles of range left. If my math is right, that's 253 miles of range. This is the best range I have ever gotten on my car, by a LOT.

I will drive out the rest of the 96 miles over the next couple of days to see exactly how much range I get. Temps are gonna be in the low 70's for the next couple of days.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Well,

70-73 degrees today. Car charged to 100% (Profile for 90% was active ....it's done this before). I drove 157.8 miles today, about 135 of it was on tollway and highway - I actually went over 100 mph on the tollway a couple/three times. The highway drive was relaxed at 55-65 as there is road construction. And the amazing part is that I have 96 miles of range left. If my math is right, that's 253 miles of range. This is the best range I have ever gotten on my car, by a LOT.

I will drive out the rest of the 96 miles over the next couple of days to see exactly how much range I get. Temps are gonna be in the low 70's for the next couple of days.
Wow! That is impressive since you were driving the way it should be driven. My estimated range is at best 235 so far. Still early days though and I have yet to drive it a mode other than Sports Plus. I will try another mode at some point - having too much fun to care about range yet.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow! That is impressive since you were driving the way it should be driven. My estimated range is at best 235 so far. Still early days though and I have yet to drive it a mode other than Sports Plus. I will try another mode at some point - having too much fun to care about range yet.
And I had the A/C on most of the day.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
I babied this car in an attempt to hyper mile it. at 100% charge, weather in the upper 60's, all in town driving.

REAL WORLD MILEAGE 214 miles.
Are you saying that you did an entire "tank" of electrons at "all in town driving"? I'm waiting on a Cross Turismo, so have no personal range experience with a Taycan yet. My daily work commute is 26 miles roundtrip of "all town"/"no highway" driving, with maximum speed 40-45 mph. I'm wondering how this car is truly as a commuter car with non-highway speeds. I'm guessing > 300 miles of range, but nobody here seems to have done such a range test (i.e., speeds < 45 mph only for an entire battery charge).

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Are you saying that you did an entire "tank" of electrons at "all in town driving"? I'm waiting on a Cross Turismo, so have no personal range experience with a Taycan yet. My daily work commute is 26 miles roundtrip of "all town"/"no highway" driving, with maximum speed 40-45 mph. I'm wondering how this car is truly as a commuter car with non-highway speeds. I'm guessing > 300 miles of range, but nobody here seems to have done such a range test (i.e., speeds < 45 mph only for an entire battery charge).
My educated guess would be that you may get about 300 miles in the summer. The speed might suggest more but you will have. Negative effect of a colder battery to start out your relatively short commuting trips. In the winter your range may drop to 270 miles and in the deep New England winter even to 250 miles.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, that charge cycle was basically all around town driving. But temps were in the 60's. Yesterday temps were in the upper 60's and low to mid 70's - ideal conditions. And I am seeing about 253 miles of range. Now that would be a "record" for my car. The best "guesstimate" at 100% charge was 236 miles, before yesterday. At start yesterday, at 100% charge, I was showing 244 mile "guesstimate". And as the day went on my range actually increased - again, that has NEVER happened before. Look at my profile pic, that was in the winter and was at 100% charge, 199 mile range "guesstimate". And in the winter I saw actual range of 150-165 miles at times. So weather makes a HUGE difference in range.

lmmo

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x Tesla Model 3, VW Golf
Country flag
I don't think you can get less than 300 miles, if you

1. drive in regular traffic, no highway speeding
2. take it easy on the acceleration
3. switch off recuperation options
4. seek and use traffic opportunities for letting the car coast
5. drive in temperature where you do not need the AC, open window sometimes
6. live in a flat landscape
7. avoid traffic lights

1618484798278.png

I always charge to 100%

Just keep an eye on your average consumption.

1618485146394.png

Same works for constant higher speeds on highways, but consumption goes up a bit of course. The consumption here is also a bit higher because on one leg of the trip, I was rushed to get back and drove Porsche style. I also started to used the AC again - getting hot here!
What's your lifetime average consumption?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
What's your lifetime average consumption?
FWIW: mine is 29.3 kWh/100 mi (18.2 kWh/100 km) over the about 3300 miles I put on the car since getting it mid-October. It therefore does include a winter, which makes a significant difference.

Last edited:

lmmo

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x Tesla Model 3, VW Golf
Country flag
FWIW: mine is 29.3 kWh/100 mi (18.2 kWh/100 km) over about the 3300 miles I put on the car since getting it mid-October. It therefore does include a winter, which makes a significant difference.
Great to hear. Not very different than my Tesla Model 3 AWD, which has 17.5 kWh/100km on its 30,000+ km lifetime. Thanks a lot!
Sponsored