Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
With recup on, whenever you take the foot off the go pedal, the car WILL slow down. If you wanted the car to slow down anyway, then recup is not losing you anything. However, if you slow down any more than you wanted, then you are expending more energy to get back up to speed than if you had not recuped in the first place, and instead had coasted.

Does that make sense?

PS Range mode turns off recup by default, which tells you something about what Porsche thinks is most efficient.
Yes, it makes sense.
Another thing I think I learned - from reading the owner's manual - is that apparently switching recup (off, on, auto) controls what Porsche calls the overrun recuperation which starts when accelerator is released, as opposed to the braking recuperation. Not having a Taycan yet, I'm assuming from that manual language that braking recuperation is always active.
Thanks again for the info.
Sponsored

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche has covered this in several publications. For maximum range their strategy is to prefer coasting when in Range mode hence recoup is turned off. And the car really is optimized for coasting. You can easily demonstrate this. Put the car in Range mode than get behind someone in traffic when they are slowing down but not braking. The Taycan when coasting will close the distance with the car in front very quickly. It really does like to coast.

When doing lots of driving with changing speeds recoup on will recover some of the energy lost due to slowing.

And if you have the car on cruise control with recoup off, it will still use recoup to slow the car if the speed is too far above the cruise control setting such as when going downhill.

And be aware that recoup on auto will sometimes not work depending on driving conditions which could surprise you. This is in the manual.

Last edited:

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Yes, it makes sense.
Another thing I think I learned - from reading the owner's manual - is that apparently switching recup (off, on, auto) controls what Porsche calls the overrun recuperation which starts when accelerator is released, as opposed to the braking recuperation. Not having a Taycan yet, I'm assuming from that manual language that braking recuperation is always active.
Correct, recup always happens when you press the brake pedal, and the way it feels and behaves is unchanged by the Recuperation on/off/auto setting afaik. The setting controls what happens when you take your foot off both pedals.

JonS1234

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Model S Plaid, Model X LR
Country flag
Thanks for your reply.

I understand that if a driver enables recuperation and alters his driving habits such that he brakes more often with recuperation on than he would if recuperation was off, then battery range would be decreased. But if braking habits/use are the same with recuperation enabled, does enabling recuperation by itself reduce battery range?

I'm trying to understand the posts that suggest turning recuperation off to maximize range in a Taycan.
I found this summary really useful to understand recup coming from a Model 3 Performance. https://insideevs.com/reviews/397503/porsche-taycan-regenerative-braking-deep-dive/

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Yes, it makes sense.
Now you are onto the right track. Any recup on, means that when you let go of the accelerator pedal, the car will effectively break a little (or more in auto mode depending on traffic). Breaking always is less efficient than coasting. Do not break, unless you really have to.

Now you could just not completely let go of the accelerator pedal to avoid the regen breaking, but hitting that sweet spot and holding it for long is not feasible with the Taycan. Therefore, the best way is always regen off, and drive as much as you can without using either pedals.

Regen is off, I drive into the road, check the traffic light and speed up so I hit it, when it is green. Then I let go of both pedals and let it coast all the way over the light.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S gets 323 mile real world range in Edmunds EV range test! 20210906_123837

I drive that way and get low consumption!

farazkhu2

First Name
Fa Fa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 750i, Taycan
Country flag
Where do you get the better range? Highway or non Highway driving? I am new to EVs and very excited that I am getting about 270 miles range on my RWD in non highway driving . I am going by the battery charging status ( shows how much range do I have ) and consumption information on the screen. If I turn the AC on then I see about 17miles reduction in overall range.

On a side note, I love the EA charging stations, I don't have to do anything, they recognize my car as soon as I plug it in and start charging it.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Where do you get the better range? Highway or non Highway driving? I am new to EVs and very excited that I am getting about 270 miles range on my RWD in non highway driving . I am going by the battery charging status ( shows how much range do I have ) and consumption information on the screen. If I turn the AC on then I see about 17miles reduction in overall range.

On a side note, I love the EA charging stations, I don't have to do anything, they recognize my car as soon as I plug it in and start charging it.
Depends on the speed you are maintaining on the highway. Cruising at a leisurely 70 mph will result in a range/consumption which is comparable to the non-highway one. Above 80 mph consumption will increase markedly and range decrease accordingly. As far as A/C is concerned, do not forget there also is a range-friendly "A/C ECO" mode which clearly consumes less than the full A/C mode.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Thanks for your reply.

I understand that if a driver enables recuperation and alters his driving habits such that he brakes more often with recuperation on than he would if recuperation was off, then battery range would be decreased. But if braking habits/use are the same with recuperation enabled, does enabling recuperation by itself reduce battery range?

I'm trying to understand the posts that suggest turning recuperation off to maximize range in a Taycan.
Neither the recuperation function in the motors, nor the charging efficiency are 100%, very good but not 100%.

If they were recuperation and coasting would save/use the same energy. As it is recuperation is overall slightly less efficient than coasting.

From an overall ease of driving perspective the Auto seeting has merit, but since I am just an engineer predicting this from the physics I won't know the magnitude until my own Taycan gets delivered!

Kittybaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
Country flag
If recuperation is off, does that mean that the breaks will wear out quicker? Based on what's been said above, it does not seem so since the settings do not affect regenerative braking.

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
If recuperation is off, does that mean that the breaks will wear out quicker? no

Based on what's been said above, it does not seem so since the settings do not affect regenerative braking.
you are correct in the second half. Brakes use regen wether or not the recoup is on or not

Bobrae99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Enough with the highway cruising range, I’d like to know how far the car will travel in stop and go traffic?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Enough with the highway cruising range, I’d like to know how far the car will travel in stop and go traffic?
I don't know how the range is being calculated. in my real world driving on longer, 300+ mile runs, I don't get too much more than 225 miles from my '21 4S. my speeds are 75+ mph the weather is 80 degrees plus my tires are 40 PSI front, 42 rear.
I calculate my range @220 for charge planning.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't know how the range is being calculated. in my real world driving on longer, 300+ mile runs, I don't get too much more than 225 miles from my '21 4S. my speeds are 75+ mph the weather is 80 degrees plus my tires are 40 PSI front, 42 rear.
I calculate my range @220 for charge planning.
That sounds about right

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 Cabriolet (991.2)
Country flag
All. Try driving a 4S out here in the desert Southwest in June, July, August, and sometimes September when it is 105-115F on I-8 and I-10 at 80-85 mph, the speed of the traffic and semi's. I did, and for a ranges of 100% down to 10%, and 80% down to 10% I calculated from the kWh/100 mile figures of 38-40 one needs to figure on 183 for the 100% to 10%, and 166 for 80% down to 10%. Also, the charging times are significantly increased when it is 105-115F, even without running cabin pre-conditioning. If you live out here in Tucson/Phoenix or Las Vegas, Electrify America (EA) is essentially the only game in town, don't plan on driving to LA, San Diego, or even Las Vegas without having a problem with charger reliability. I did. Arrived in Quartzite AZ after driving from Tucson in 105-115F only to find that all 4 EA chargers failed to work. That's despite checking the EA app on my iPhone 3 times and it showed all chargers at Quartzite "available." We even had to tell the EA Support Center what the error code was on the screen of the failed chargers. The only saving grace was that there were 2ea 50kW ChargePoint chargers available in Blythe CA, 22 miles away. And then even one of the ChargePoint chargers stopped working after 20 minutes, and we finished charging to 65% on the other one. Made for quite a round trip drive from Tucson to Quartzite to see what the REAL range was driving out here. Oh. The AC was set at 74, ECO couldn't keep up with the 105-115F temperatures. Also did a test run to Dateland AZ from Tucson and back. It was 108F at Dateland. Thankfully the charger we chose worked. However, 3 days before, and a week after the test drive, the EA app on the iPhone showed all 4 chargers at Dateland were "unavailable". If one was trying to drive to San Diego, one has to charge in Dateland or spend days drinking date shakes while EA figures out how to fix their chargers!!!
Sponsored