Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
my 3 separate trips with data show the Turbo is a solid 270 miles at north american hwy speeds

based on my personal experience 300+ miles is unrealistic
Hi @daveo4EV , question from somebody who has the greatest respect for your in-depth knowledge of all things Taycan: if your Turbo (with 21” wheels?) has a solid 270 miles range at normal speed on the highway, why would a 4S with 19” Aero wheels not be able to hit 300 miles in similar circumstances?
Sponsored

OP
OP

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for weighing in. Kinda reaction I expected from you all and I agree with most if not all posts here. After reading that article, I realized it lacked important context to justify their range numbers. I wanted you guys to poke holes in it. Anyway, I agree that faulty math and lack of details of the test doesn't inspire confidence in their data, and the claim that they drove +/- 5 mph within the posted speed limits is useless info. For what it’s worth, a back of the envelope calculation based on my trip data, yields an average speed of 40 mph that Taycan had to attain in the Edmunds’ tests to yield 323 miles of range.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Hi @daveo4EV , question from somebody who has the greatest respect for your in-depth knowledge of all things Taycan: if your Turbo (with 21” wheels?) has a solid 270 miles range at normal speed on the highway, why would a 4S with 19” Aero wheels not be able to hit 300 miles in similar circumstances?
you are probably right - I was referring to my Turbo getting 300 miles - I'd still like to see a complete test for the 4S with smaller wheels to actual "empty" to determine range.

perhaps I"m too harsh - 300 miles is a tall order and at 60 mph 5 hours of seat time…maybe the 4S can do that - not outlandish - but it's more than 10% farther than 270 miles - and 323 is about 20% farther than 270 - I don't think the 19" wheels will "gain" 10-20% - but I could be wrong...

I'd love some data beyond Edmunds...

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
you are probably right - I was referring to my Turbo getting 300 miles - I'd still like to see a complete test for the 4S with smaller wheels to actual "empty" to determine range.
Kyle Conner from Out of Spec motoring on YouTube does this. He does a range test from 100% to 0% (when the car runs out of juice and dies) He drives at a constant 70mph on an out-and-back highway route (to negate elevation changes) and I think his methodology is pretty sound.

Taycan (RWD) with the Plus battery on 19" Aero wheels: 293.3 miles

The RWD Taycan is ostensibly less efficient than a 4S because it cannot decouple the rear motor and transmission the way a 4S, Turbo or Turbo S can in Range mode

Taycan 4S with the Plus battery on 21" wheels (not Mission E): 277.9 miles

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Kyle Conner from Out of Spec motoring on YouTube does this. He does a range test from 100% to 0% (when the car runs out of juice and dies) He drives at a constant 70mph on an out-and-back highway route (to negate elevation changes) and I think his methodology is pretty sound.

Taycan (RWD) with the Plus battery on 19" Aero wheels: 293.3 miles

The RWD Taycan is ostensibly less efficient than a 4S because it cannot decouple the rear motor and transmission the way a 4S, Turbo or Turbo S can in Range mode

Taycan 4S with the Plus battery on 21" wheels (not Mission E): 277.9 miles
Kyle’s approach seems rather representative for what the average driver understands as ‘range’, no?

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Just drove back from Phoenix to Colorado in our Taycan and our E-tron. At a couple of the stops the temperature was in the low 80's. It was hot enough that the E-tron actually throttled back the charging rate but the Taycan didn't drop. However the Taycan used a fair amount more kWh compared to the E-tron to cool to batteries. Here are pictures of the charging results.

This reason I am posting this is regarding the Edmunds efficiency calculation in their chart. They stated that to calculate the efficiency they used the distance traveled divided by the amount of kWh to refill the battery. If I do the same math based on these results the Taycan appears to have much lower efficiency or a larger battery pack. In higher temps it uses a lot more energy to charge the battery, even compared with our E-tron

Taycan
Start: 30%
Finish: 95%
Added 65%
65% X 83.7kWh (Taycan usable battery) = 54.4kWh added
Energy delivered: 62kWh
So 7.4kWh was used to cool the battery

In theory, if the energy delivery was 100% efficient it would mean a usable battery capacity of 95.39kWh.
62kWh / 65% = 95.38kWh

If Edmunds used this approach, they could easily end up with the 323 mile distance and 323 kWh / 100 Miles efficiency if they used 100kWh to fully charge the battery. Which seems very plausible.

Etron
Start: 18%
Finish: 92%
Added 74%
74% X 83.7kWh (Etron usable battery) = 61.9kWh
Energy delivered: 66kWh
So 4.1kWh was used to cool the battery. Lower cooling energy compared to the Taycan.

Taycan Charging
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Joins the "300-Mile Club," Claims Edmunds IMG_3613

E-tron Charging
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Joins the "300-Mile Club," Claims Edmunds IMG_3614

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag

perhaps I"m too harsh - 300 miles is a tall order and at 60 mph 5 hours of seat time…maybe the 4S can do that - not outlandish - but it's more than 10% farther than 270 miles - and 323 is about 20% farther than 270 - I don't think the 19" wheels will "gain" 10-20% - but I could be wrong...

I'd love some data beyond Edmunds...
I think wheels and tyres can achieve such efficiency gains TeslaBjorn best number for the 4S came from 19” wheels and hankook Evo tyres at 56mph highway driving and got to 360miles in range mode on a summer day 24 degC or 75degF. So perfect conditions but shows what is possible if you need to stretch range.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I think wheels and tyres can achieve such efficiency gains TeslaBjorn best number for the 4S came from 19” wheels and hankook Evo tyres at 56mph highway driving and got to 360miles in range mode on a summer day 24 degC or 75degF. So perfect conditions but shows what is possible if you need to stretch range.
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Joins the "300-Mile Club," Claims Edmunds 20210214_182135

Mixed city, city highway driving with the flow of traffic in a 4S+ 20 inch, no AC, over 300 mi are easy. Even with this consumption, I am often speeding...

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Despite incorrect math, real world numbers or suspicious methodes of testing, it's pretty obvious that Tesla is highly enthusiastic about their numbers presented by the EPA while all the others are way better.
If Edmunds used the same methodes of testing on every car it's clear that Tesla (and Volvo a little bit) is the one that uses incorrect methodes of testing...
How's that for real world promises?