fantasma

First Name
Sven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M550i, Porsche Cayman GT4, Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Mk II
Country flag
I have read and seen several reviews of the Taycan 4S where they state that state that the 4S har larger boot space than the Turbo / Turbo S, because of the drivetrain. Can anybody confirm this?

Does it only apply to the "standard" 4S or does it apply to the 4S with the Battery Performance Plus option as well?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Battery size doesn't affect this, it's the size of the rear engine which is smaller in 4S, that allows for a little bit of extra space. Apparently also the subwoofers in the better audio systems affect the space a little bit. I haven't seen info on where the extra space is in practise and how much it matters.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Music to my hears, except I didnt upgrade the stereo, he he.., great for trunk space though, just gets better all the time.

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
I do not know where the extra space is. But I saw a video explaining that Porsche uses the same housing for the motor on 4s and turbo, because only length is difference! So that will not give extra space.
the bigger battery is under the seat, so I can not see that will give space! I have no clue

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I do not know where the extra space is. But I saw a video explaining that Porsche uses the same housing for the motor on 4s and turbo, because only length is difference! So that will not give extra space.
the bigger battery is under the seat, so I can not see that will give space! I have no clue
I believe the difference is not in the electric motor size but the space taken up but the inverter: 300A for the 4S, and 600A for the Turbo and Turbo S in the rear.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I believe the difference is not in the electric motor size but the space taken up but the inverter: 300A for the 4S, and 600A for the Turbo and Turbo S in the rear.
The rear inverters are the same on 4S as Turbo models, all 600A.
See newsroom.
The front inverter is only 300A on 4S as well as the Turbo. The Turbo S has a 600A front inverter apperently only for the improved launch control power as Turbo and Turbo S have same power specs after launch.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The rear inverters are the same on 4S as Turbo models, all 600A.
See newsroom.
The front inverter is only 300A on 4S as well as the Turbo. The Turbo S has a 600A front inverter apperently only for the improved launch control power as Turbo and Turbo S have same power specs after launch.
Ok, then makes no sense to me why there is more room in the 4S trunk!

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sounds like I’ll be able to carry more bodies in the trunk.
Yes, but remember you won't be able to get to the 270kph/167mph that most reviews show on the Turbo models and be limited more at the 250kph/155mph. ;)

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
For the 4S, if you chose the Bose option, the UK configurator says:
Note: reduced luggage compartment volume due to subwoofer underneath the rear luggage compartment floor
41 liters is a big amount of space for a subwoofer, but I imagine it is more that to get the subwoofer in, there is wasted space in order to keep the trunk space flat (e.g. they wouldn't have a protrusion in the trunk to accommodate the subwoofer.

Interestingly enough, the turbo trunk already has that extra hidden space in it which is in the center rear of the trunk.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have gotten a confirmation from a Porsche representative on what causes the 41 Liter difference in trunk space for base 4S vs a Turbo. It is the premium sound system, either Bose or Burmester. The space is from a deeper compartment under the false floor in trunk lost by the subwoofer.

Thus if you get the premium package, like me, then you will have the 366L vs 407L of space. But as it's only under the false floor it may not matter so much.
Sponsored