JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can you see if you can locate that article? It sounds logically inconsistent. To recommend Range mode for long distance trips and then recommend a reduced battery charge which yields lower range sounds strange.

Not really planning on a test in Normal mode. Had thought about it, but the combinations and permutations become endless.

Next one will be when the outside temperature gets to 0C/32F. Basically creep up in 10 degree increments until summer maximums. I am curious as to what the distance curve looks like with changes in temperature with as many factors held constant as possible.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
183 miles at 3F (-16C) starting with warm battery, 495 Wh/mi. Sunny, no wind, clean road.

All <45F data is on PZero winter tires at 42 PSI. All data from >90 mile highway trips at 73 mph in range mode, 72F interior. Consumption is identical to my previous 2015 Tesla P85D.

1612106920738.png
1612106990427.png

Importantly, the amount of energy extractable from the battery is much lower with a cold battery.

The estimated total battery at the 3F trip starting with a warm battery (70F) was 90.5 kWh, temp stayed above 60F on the entire road (except at the end when it started increasing to preconditiong for the charge stop I planned).

Same day in the afternoon starting with a cold battery (38F) on the return trip at 15F, the estimated capacity was 81.5 kWh. Temp stayed in the 40s throughout the trip, at the very end I hit 50F. The consumption was what I expected at the temperature (424 Wh/mi), but the total range was less than expected at 192 miles (if total battery was the same 90.5 kWh as in the morning, range would have been 213 miles).

So factors to consider when driving in winter: speed, outside conditions (wind, rain, snow), battery temperature at departure.
Nice Charts. Excel or R?

Your conditions look similar to mine but a little colder. I think your results are similar based on the last few paragraphs?

You have collected a lot of data. When I get a little more I want to take a good luck at the guessometer. We are all relying on it but would like to get a better idea as to how accurate it really is. Haven't really heard any complaints bout it. Accurate or forecast and forecast often.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Can you see if you can locate that article? It sounds logically insistent. To recommend Range mode for long distance trips and then recommend a reduced battery charge which yields lower range sounds strange.
I absolutely agree that it sounds inconsistent! But look at the charge profile! Set a minimum charge that actually becomes the max charge etc!

I found the information that was in the back of my mind, but please it may not be relevant with a cold battery?

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Performance Battery - My Real World Cold Weather Test 3951238E-EAB3-4C27-906F-E3DE971054C3

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks @Scandinavian, I do a lot of fast charging and I know that the battery gets to 50C+ pretty quickly. I shall stay in Normal mode once we get some 30F+ temps around here at least till the battery gets back to 35C then switch to Range Mode. This is of course for freeway traveling.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks @Scandinavian, I do a lot of fast charging and I know that the battery gets to 50C+ pretty quickly. I shall stay in Normal mode once we get some 30F+ temps around here at least till the battery gets back to 35C then switch to Range Mode. This is of course for freeway traveling.
That would be interesting to hear!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did not see if you have your car in a garage or if it lives outside? That will make a huge difference on the battery temperature when you start driving. I have tried this several times now and it works fine.

I do not know what power you need from your charger though. I have 11kW available. If you only have a normal household plug with 10 amps available, it might be different??

You can pre condition the car and also the battery when the car is plugged in. Set a timer with charging to be finished at say 07.00 or when you want to leave. Set the battery charge to slightly lower, 5% or so, compared to what you normally want. The charger seems to keep going slightly above the set target for some reason. This way the charger will charge and the cabin will be nice and toasty, as well as the battery will hve some extra heat.

I tried the above this afternoon before a trip. The battery temperature was about 8 degrees when I plugged in the car. I set the timer for 13.30 departure and cabin temp at 22 C. When we left the car was charged as needed, the cabin warm and the battery temperature had increased to 15 degrees C. My garage was at nearly the same temperature during the charge. A 100 km trip at average speed of 50 km/h gave a consumption of 21 kWh/100 km. Average temperature outside was about 11 C. At the end of the drive the battery temperature was 29 C. My trip meant a decent of 550 meters and ascent of the same, so not so much flat level driving and a mixture of Motorway and town driving.
I posted this in another thread earlier today. I never use range mode when driving since I do not use motorways that much.

But my battery certainly heated to an optimal temperature during the drive. And I did not use the cars navigation at all, so no setting to preheat the battery.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I posted this in another thread earlier today. I never use range mode when driving since I do not use motorways that much.

But my battery certainly heated to an optimal temperature during the drive. And I did not use the cars navigation at all, so no setting to preheat the battery.
Good points. I will try normal mode without pre-heating to see what happens with battery temp and total estimated range.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
This is excellent data! You read this off the BC, correct? Would be interesting to know what the consumption on the grid meter is.
I'll start keeping track of that too - probably can reconstruct some of the data from the charger. Project for the week-end :)

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Your test @JimBob to this one by Tom Moloughney he started at 14F and got up to 19F. He drove at 71 on speedometer so gps 70mph.

213 mile range so right inline with your test.

Porsche Taycan 4S Cold Weather 70 MPH Highway Range Test
InsideEVs US

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Your test @JimBob to this one by Tom Moloughney he started at 14F and got up to 19F. He drove at 71 on speedometer so gps 70mph.

213 mile range so right inline with your test.

Porsche Taycan 4S Cold Weather 70 MPH Highway Range Test
InsideEVs US
Thanks. I had seen the video. He just posted a revised video. Maybe he didn't like the reference here. In any event he produces some nice detailed videos and he should continue. Made a couple of suggestions as to new videos he should do.

Running some more tests with detailed recording but need the polar vortex to take a holiday. There is something interesting that is appearing that I had not heard referenced before but need a few more runs. Data logging would make it much easier.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@JimBob I see what you mean that Tom now posted a video with a same title on his own channel, I believe that is only so that he can build his own viewer base and income source from YouTube. Along with his pay from InsideEVs. Obviously they do not sign rights for exclusive content. ;)

Looking forward to hearing about your new insight....

Tom's re-cut if video:
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S Cold Weather Highway Range Test
Tom Moloughney
Sponsored