JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What was supposed to be a range test of the effect of temperature on distance, turned into a deeper dive into the effect of wind speed on range. The test was run at a mean temperature of 1.2C/34.7F as compared to the first test at -8.7C/16.3F.

The next test will be done around 10C/50F.

First if anyone has criticisms or suggestion or comments, please do so.

First the results:

Metric
Mode​
Mean Air Temp Celsius​
Target Speed kph​
Distance Traveled in km​
Consumption Wh/km​
* Range1.2115354A / 383.2E246.9A / 228.1E
Range-8.7115338258.6

Imperial
ModeMean Air Temp FahrenheitTarget Speed mphDistance Traveled in milesConsumption Wh/mile
* Range34.771.5220A / 237.5E397.3A / 368E
Range16.371.5210.1416

As before the test was run on the same course with observations made at 2 minute intervals. Chart 3 shows the output as displayed on the dash.

Charts 1 and 2 show the combined results from tests 1 and 2 in metric and imperial.

It's difficult to run a test in March as the month is pretty windy. The forecast for early Sunday morning was for cross winds or quartering winds of around 7 kph / 4.3 mph building to 25 kph / 15.5 mph later in the morning. Winds were not an issue on the outbound leg. And some flags along the route showed them to be cross winds and fairly light.

On the return leg, the winds along with snow squalls off Lake Huron arrived early, so probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the leg was affected by winds.

Trip distance as measure was 354 km / 220 miles and consumption was 246.9 Wh/km and 393.3 Wh/mile.

On reviewing the results, I felt I needed to take a deeper dive into the effect the winds had on distance travelled.

The plan was to run the outbound leg until battery SOC reached 55% and then return. This would leave a 10% reserve to run off near to home.

This is what happened on the first test when wind was not a factor. The distance traveled on the outbound and inbound legs was nearly the same at 151 km vs 153 km.

On the second test, with the wind up the legs were quite different. The distance travelled on the outbound leg without the effect of wind was 172 km vs 152 km on the inbound leg. The wind appears to have cost me 20 km in distance.

Without the wind, based on the results of the first test, I estimate the distance travelled would have been 382.2 km vs the actual 354 km. Or in Imperial, I estimated the distance travelled would have been 237.5 miles vs the actual 220 miles.

Conclusions
- As the temperature warms the battery really starts to come to life.
- Unexpected changes in winds can have a significant effect on distances travelled.

Chart 1

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Performance Battery - My Real World Range Test Update #1 [wind speed effect on range] Chart 1

Chart 2

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Performance Battery - My Real World Range Test Update #1 [wind speed effect on range] Chart 2

Chart 3

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Performance Battery - My Real World Range Test Update #1 [wind speed effect on range] Chart 3

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
What was supposed to be a range test of the effect of temperature on distance, turned into a deeper dive into the effect of wind speed on range. The test was run at a mean temperature of 1.2C/34.7F as compared to the first test at -8.7C/16.3F.

First the results:

Metric
Mode​
Mean Air Temp Celsius​
Target Speed kph​
Distance Traveled in km​
Consumption Wh/km​
Range-8.7115338258.6

Imperial
ModeMean Air Temp FahrenheitTarget Speed mphDistance Traveled in milesConsumption Wh/mile
Range16.371.5210.1416

As before the test was run on the same course with observations made at 2 minute intervals. Chart 3 shows the output as displayed on the dash.

Charts 1 and 2 show the combined results from tests 1 and 2 in metric and imperial.

It's difficult to run a test in March as the month is pretty windy. The forecast for early Sunday morning was for cross winds or quartering winds of around 7 kph / 4.3 mph building to 25 kph / 15.5 mph later in the morning. Winds were not an issue on the outbound leg. And some flags along the route showed them to be cross winds and fairly light.

On the return leg, the winds along with snow squalls off Lake Huron arrived early, so probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the leg was affected by winds.

Trip distance as measure was 354 km / 220 miles and consumption was 246.9 Wh/km and 393.3 Wh/mile.

On reviewing the results, I felt I needed to take a deeper dive into the effect the winds had on distance travelled.

The plan was to run the outbound leg until battery SOC reached 55% and then return. This would leave a 10% reserve to run off near to home.

This is what happened on the first test when wind was not a factor. The distance traveled on the outbound and inbound legs was nearly the same at 151 km vs 153 km.

On the second test, with the wind up the legs were quite different. The distance travelled on the outbound leg without the effect of wind was 172 km vs 152 km on the inbound leg. The wind appears to have cost me 20 km in distance.

Without the wind, based on the results of the first test, I estimate the distance travelled would have been 382.2 km vs the actual 354 km. Or in Imperial, I estimated the distance travelled would have been 237.5 miles vs the actual 220 miles.

Conclusions
- Unexpected changes in winds can have a significant effect on distances travelled.

Chart 1

Chart 1.jpeg

Chart 2

Chart 2.jpg

Chart 3

Chart 3.jpeg
@JimBob, thanks! Very interesting and well-documented data. What were your Taycan type and wheels again?

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Car is a 4S and tires were Pirelli PZero 20 inch snow tires.

After some comments from the first test, the pressures were changed to 2.8 bar front and 2.6 bar rear.

mw3033

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Boxster (98)
Country flag
Car is a 4S and tires were Pirelli PZero 20 inch snow tires.

After some comments from the first test, the pressures were changed to 2.8 bar front and 2.6 bar rear.
Really appreciate the post. A couple of questions 1) What is the software that you are using to track all of this. I currently using Tronity, which I find lacking in detail and 2) On cold days cabin temperature impacts the range, what was yours set at. ?

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Really appreciate the post. A couple of questions 1) What is the software that you are using to track all of this. I currently using Tronity, which I find lacking in detail and 2) On cold days cabin temperature impacts the range, what was yours set at. ?
I don't think Tronity will provide you with a high level of granular detail. It would be best if Porsche provided access to the detailed data logging generated by the car. For instance, start logging at time x with an interval of y seconds until time z. But it doesn't.

All I can do is observe the information provided to the driver on the dash.

- Record the information on the dash using a GoPro8 at a 2 minute intervals.
- Transfer the data from the images to excel and clean up the data if necessary.
- Load the data into R from the spreadsheet.
- Write some graphics coding using the ggplot2() library to produce the plots

Cabin temperature was set to 17C with steering wheel heated and seat heating turned on. (I tend to prefer the cabin temperature on the lower side in the winter)

Use a departure timer to heat the battery using the mains to create a store of heat.

The battery heating appears to be confusing. Sometimes the battery gets heated to above 20C and other times just to mid teens. I don't know why this difference is happening so am trying to figure this out. In any event a cold battery will make it difficult to charge or even impossible if the temperature is to low. As to the effect on range the jury is still out. Tom Moloughney on his YouTube video ran his cold weather test at basically the same temperature I ran mine and the same speed. His battery was cold soaked and mine was heated. We ended up with the same range. So I have no idea what is going on.

I have never had the opportunity to run the car in warm temperatures so at this point it's foreign territory.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag

First the results:

Metric
Mode​
Mean Air Temp Celsius​
Target Speed kph​
Distance Traveled in km​
Consumption Wh/km​
Range-8.7115338258.6

Imperial
Range16.371.5210.1416

Conclusions

Chart 1

Chart 1.jpeg

Chart 2

Chart 2.jpg

Chart 3

Chart 3.jpeg
A couple of weeks ago I posted that I would be 'testing' the three different modes on my Taycan - Normal, Sport, Range. Here are the basics - 4S with Mission E's; 72 mile round trip; 68-72 degrees; partly cloudy. This was a normal drive, keeping up with traffic with no quick starts, etc. Charged to 85% on departure from home, parked in same parking spot at the mall, had lunch and returned home. Left at 11:00AM or so each day and encountered similar traffic both ways. So here are the results:

Normal drive mode
Leaving home estimated mileage 195. 57% charge, 131 estimated remaining miles on return home.

Sport drive mode
Leaving home estimated mileage 198. 57% charge, 130 estimated remaining miles on return home.

Range drive mode
Leaving home estimated mileage 210. 59% charge, 149 estimated remaining miles on return home.

What was surprising to me was the almost identical results for Normal and Sport modes particularly on the return to home SOC as well as estimated remaining miles.

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
A couple of weeks ago I posted that I would be 'testing' the three different modes on my Taycan - Normal, Sport, Range. Here are the basics - 4S with Mission E's; 72 mile round trip; 68-72 degrees; partly cloudy. This was a normal drive, keeping up with traffic with no quick starts, etc. Charged to 85% on departure from home, parked in same parking spot at the mall, had lunch and returned home. Left at 11:00AM or so each day and encountered similar traffic both ways. So here are the results:

Normal drive mode
Leaving home estimated mileage 195. 57% charge, 131 estimated remaining miles on return home.

Sport drive mode
Leaving home estimated mileage 198. 57% charge, 130 estimated remaining miles on return home.

Range drive mode
Leaving home estimated mileage 210. 59% charge, 149 estimated remaining miles on return home.

What was surprising to me was the almost identical results for Normal and Sport modes particularly on the return to home SOC as well as estimated remaining miles.
Loving the real world tests.

I tried the same but you did something that should be more accurate, run the test in both directions to eliminate the effect of elevation changes. If you didn't record them, you could check it on something like ABRP.

When you report estimated mileage, was that based on the guess-o-meter or the odometer reading? Those can be quite different at the start of a trip. The odometer would be more accurate, or just use the trip function.

Making up a simple table using your results, here is the percentage change between the various modes. Whether it can be applied against all modes at all speeds would need to be tested. It would also be interesting to add Sport +

RangeNormalSport
Range0%-4.9%-11.5%
Normal4.7%0%-6.3%
Sport10.3%5.9%0%

To the read the table. Go down and then to the left. For instance to go from Sport to Normal you will pick up 5.9% in range.

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
As I thought further about this, I was uncomfortable that I might have misunderstood what was being said. If the mileages that are reported are from the guess-o-meter and not the actual odometer readings then what I said won't likely be right. What is needed is the starting and ending SOC on each run and the actual distance traveled . The ranges from the Guess-o-meter won't give the true comparison. The starting and ending SOC values appear to be given. It's the mileage figures as to whether they are odometer or guess-o-meter that are key.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
@JimBob, thanks! Very interesting and well-documented data. What were your Taycan type and wheels again?
that is all well and good but if you drive the 4S under Porsche conditions you really do not exceed 200 miles by much.I drove my 21 4S from fort lauderdale to hilton head and back last weekend at speeds on the interstate averaging 85 to 90 miles and my range was no more than about 200 miles.so these high ranges are not really imitating real life porsche driving conditions.eric

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
that is all well and good but if you drive the 4S under Porsche conditions you really do not exceed 200 miles by much.I drove my 21 4S from fort lauderdale to hilton head and back last weekend at speeds on the interstate averaging 85 to 90 miles and my range was no more than about 200 miles.so these high ranges are not really imitating real life porsche driving conditions.eric
With the performance plus battery?