JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is the Taycan a 300 mile range car? No. But there is a window where you can hit 300 miles. And if you have 19 inch tires the window is bigger.

I ran the latest test early Sunday morning. Conditions were nearly perfect. Mean temperature was 22.4C/71.5F. Winds were calm to a cross wind of 7kph/4.3 mph at the end. Traffic was light other than at the end of the run when it was slightly higher. Cruise control was set to 115 kph/71.5 mph.

Car was in Range mode, with 20 inch Continental ProContact RX summer tires.

Results were:

Metric
Mode​
Mean Air Temp
Celsius​
Target Speed
kph​
Distance Traveled
in km​
Consumption
Wh/kilometer​
Range22.4115484180.6
Range11.7115419208.6
Range1.2115354A/383.3E246.9A/228.1E
Range-8.7115338258.6

Imperial
Mode​
Mean Air Temp
Fahrenheit​
Target Speed
mph​
Distance Traveled
in miles​
Consumption
Wh/mile​
Range71.571.5300.8290.6
Range58.171.5260.4335.6
Range34.771.5220A/237.5E397.3A/368E
Range16.371.5210.1416

Chart 1 is a summary of all the tests run to date in metric.

Chart 2 is a summary of all the tests run to date in Imperial.

Chart 3 has the details from the recent run in metric.

Final distance traveled was 484km or 300.8 miles. To the best of my knowledge this is the first semi documented range test for the Taycan of over 300 miles at highway speeds. The final distance traveled includes the actual distance travel plus the estimated range on the guessometer. As I am running the test on a 12 lane expressway, I am not trying to run the battery to zero. My intention is to not die on an expressway but surrounded by a bevy of babes. Can this distance be bettered? I believe so and will indicate below my thoughts on how it can be done.

As before the dash readings were recorded at 2 minute intervals and input into the R GGPLOT2 graphics package for display purposes.

Some observations
In Range mode, throughout the entire run at highway speeds the car operated only with the front motors. At the end on city streets at lower speeds and with traffic lights returning home, the rear motors were also operating. I doubt very much that the 2WD Taycan operating on just the rear motors can beat the 4S for highway range.​
Turning on Range mode turns off Regen. However on some of the rolling hills the Regen did operate but I doubt the effect was significant. I also tried to manage the Regen on some of the hills by manually turning it on or off. I don't think I added any value by doing this and ended up just leaving it to the car.​
There have been previous documented Range tests by Bjorn, Tom Moloughney and Kyle Conner. Bjorn's test was done at a higher speed and is not directly comparable.​
Both Tom and Kyle reported in their recent tests that range declined over the last half of their trip as compared to the first half. In my previous tests other than the wind affected one I had not seen this. However I did see this effect on this test. If you refer to Chart 3, you can see that the observed range bends away from the linear model. This is all due to temperature. The battery is heating up, refer to the first panel and the air temperature is heating up requiring more cabin cooling. I am not clear on Porsche's actual battery cooling strategy in Range mode. I think both Tom and Kyle ran their tests at temperatures a little above the optimum temperature for the car and got a reduced range. Porsche indicates that the optimum temperature for the car is 20C/68F. I was just slightly above this level and just squeaked out an indicated 300 miles. If I ran the test a couple of degrees cooler on a cloudy day I think I can pick up 4 or 5 additional miles.​
The next test will be at 30C/86F. For my area this will be about the maximum I will see. I expect to see more of the effects of temperature on range as showing in Chart 3 and expect Range to fall. I speculate I will loose around 20 miles in range due to temperature effects.

As a consolation prize, those of us who live in cooler climates who suffer in the winter, are probably going to pick up some extra range in the summer as compared to those living in hot climates.
Chart 1​
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Performance + Battery - My Real World Range Test Update #3 [Monster Range Test] Chart 1
Chart 2​
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Performance + Battery - My Real World Range Test Update #3 [Monster Range Test] Chart 2
Chart 3​
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Performance + Battery - My Real World Range Test Update #3 [Monster Range Test] Chart 3
,​

Last edited:

TCT

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E350, Taycan CT4 Mamba green
Country flag
Great report. Even if Montreal is a tad colder and snowier, this info helps me understand what I can get here.

Thanks

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
I'm impressed by how linear everything is. Should make in-car range predictions extremely accurate, which is particularly important for long-distance travel (where you want to pull into an EA fast charging station with as little remaining charge as possible).

nav1

First Name
nav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
jaguar
Country flag
I’m getting a steady 300 on my RWD taycan after several journeys ; if anything the range is still going up (and I’m not driving particularly frugally ) albeit it is about 20-25 centigrade at moment

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Is the Taycan a 300 mile range car? No.
Great report!

Well, I'd say yes, because in decent conditions, anybody can drive the Taycan to keep consumption below 18 kWh/100km (29kWh/100mi), right?

are probably going to pick up some extra range in the summer as compared to those living in hot climates.
Did you switch off the AC for your 300 mi run? I am in a very hot climate and the range goes down in summer with heavy AC usage...:whew:

Last edited:

DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
Thanks so much for the data.....I am pretty much getting 280 mile range in SoCal with a combination freeway and city driving in a 4S with 21" wheels.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Is the Taycan a 300 mile range car? No. But there is a window where you can hit 300 miles. And if you have 19 inch tires the window is bigger.

I ran the latest test early Sunday morning. Conditions were nearly perfect. Mean temperature was 22.4C/71.5F. Winds were calm to a cross wind of 7kph/4.3 mph at the end. Traffic was light other than at the end of the run when it was slightly higher. Cruise control was set to 115 kph/71.5 mph.

Results were:

Metric
Mode​
Mean Air Temp
Celsius​
Target Speed
kph​
Distance Traveled
in km​
Consumption
Wh/kilometer​
Range22.4115484180.6
Range11.7115419208.6
Range-8.7115338258.6

Imperial
Mode​
Mean Air Temp
Fahrenheit​
Target Speed
mph​
Distance Traveled
in miles​
Consumption
Wh/mile​
Range71.571.5300.8290.6
Range58.171.5260.4335.6
Range16.371.5210.1416

Final distance traveled was 484km or 300.8 miles. To the best of my knowledge this is the first semi documented range test for the Taycan of over 300 miles at highway speeds. The final distance traveled includes the actual distance travel plus the estimated range on the guessometer. As I am running the test on a 12 lane expressway, I am not trying to run the battery to zero. My intention is to not die on an expressway but surrounded by a bevy of babes. Can this distance be bettered? I believe so and will indicate below my thoughts on how it can be done.

As before the dash readings were recorded at 2 minute intervals and input into the R GGPLOT2 graphics package for display purposes.

Some observations
In Range mode, throughout the entire run at highway speeds the car operated only with the front motors. At the end on city streets at lower speeds and with traffic lights returning home, the rear motors were also operating. I doubt very much that the 2WD Taycan operating on just the rear motors can beat the 4S for highway range.​
Turning on Range mode turns off Regen. However on some of the rolling hills the Regen did operate but I doubt the effect was significant. I also tried to manage the Regen on some of the hills by manually turning it on or off. I don't think I added any value by doing this and ended up just leaving it to the car.​
There have been previous documented Range tests by Bjorn, Tom Moloughney and Kyle Conner. Bjorn's test was done at a higher speed and is not directly comparable.​
Both Tom and Kyle reported in their recent tests that range declined over the last half of their trip as compared to the first half. In my previous tests other than the wind affected one I had not seen this. However I did see this effect on this test. If you refer to Chart 3, you can see that the observed range bends away from the linear model. This is all due to temperature. The battery is heating up, refer to the first panel and the air temperature is heating up requiring more cabin cooling. I am not clear on Porsche's actual battery cooling strategy in Range mode. I think both Tom and Kyle ran their tests at temperatures a little above the optimum temperature for the car and got a reduced range. Porsche indicates that the optimum temperature for the car is 20C/68F. I was just slightly above this level and just squeaked out an indicated 300 miles. If I ran the test a couple of degrees cooler on a cloudy day I think I can pick up 4 or 5 additional miles.​
The next test will be at 30C/86F. For my area this will be about the maximum I will see. I expect to see more of the effects of temperature on range as showing in Chart 3 and expect Range to fall. I speculate I will loose around 20 miles in range due to temperature effects.

As a consolation prize, those of us who live in cooler climates who suffer in the winter, are probably going to pick up some extra range in the summer as compared to those living in hot climates.
Chart 1​
Chart 1.jpeg
Chart 2​
Chart 2.jpeg
Chart 3​
Chart 3.jpeg
,​
Great report. Well documented! Looking forward to your 30C run. I also see the guessometer range drop (slightly) faster in the lower half of SoC%.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Very interesting report. Good to see how the car behaves in real world driving. I am so amazed by the fact you can drive so long distances at such a similar speed.

It will also be very interesting to hear your experience with using the car in sunny days with 30 degrees C in Range mode. I have had problems with the car getting too hot inside, due to the HVAC being in ECO mode.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Great report. Even if Montreal is a tad colder and snowier, this info helps me understand what I can get here.

Thanks
Thanks for the kind comment. Yes, you are a bit cooler in the summer and more so in the winter but all in all pretty similar to my conditions. What I am doing as I fill out the range tests at various temps is building a model as to what I can be expected ahead of time.

Reactions: TCT
OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm impressed by how linear everything is. Should make in-car range predictions extremely accurate, which is particularly important for long-distance travel (where you want to pull into an EA fast charging station with as little remaining charge as possible).
This is what Porsche says about the power output. "In the basic setting, the Taycan delivers its power output on a linear basis". I would modify this to that the load on the car has to be constant. It is very easy to vary the load. Winds, changes in temperature, battery SOC, speed etc. The only factor the driver can really control is the speed.

I find the guessometer to be pretty accurate. I think it takes about 15-20 minutes to adapt to new conditions.

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m getting a steady 300 on my RWD taycan after several journeys ; if anything the range is still going up (and I’m not driving particularly frugally ) albeit it is about 20-25 centigrade at moment
Can you say what speeds you are getting this range at?

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag

Results were:

Metric
Mode​
Mean Air Temp
Celsius​
Target Speed
kph​
Distance Traveled
in km​
Consumption
Wh/kilometer​
Range22.4115484180.6
Range11.7115419208.6
Range-8.7115338258.6

Imperial
Mode​
Mean Air Temp
Fahrenheit​
Target Speed
mph​
Distance Traveled
in miles​
Consumption
Wh/mile​
Range71.571.5300.8290.6
Range58.171.5260.4335.6
Range16.371.5210.1416

Some observations

Chart 1​
Chart 1.jpeg
Chart 2​
Chart 2.jpeg
Chart 3​
Chart 3.jpeg
,​
Thanks for this really helpful post. It gives some idea of a best case scenario. The imperial translation is helpful to those of us who, like me, still can’t master temperature and disance conversions from metric. If you are up for it, the same battery of tests, as it were, in normal mode would also be illuminating.

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Great report!

Well, I'd say yes, because in decent conditions, anybody can drive the Taycan to keep consumption below 18 kWh/100km (29kWh/100mi), right?

Did you switch off the AC for your 300 mi run? I am in a very hot climate and the range goes down in summer with heavy AC usage...:whew:
I am doing my tests at what I think I has become the de facto highway speed number, 70 mph or 115 kph. If you drop below this you can get more range, much more range. More range than my bladder can handle.

AC was set to 19C and fan speed to 2 bars. So a little cooling was required. I think I am going to see a big effect on range at higher temperatures.

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks so much for the data.....I am pretty much getting 280 mile range in SoCal with a combination freeway and city driving in a 4S with 21" wheels.
That sounds about right. Your highway range will be less than your city range.
Sponsored