TUNCAYS

First Name
TUNCAY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PORSCHE TAYCAN 4S
Country flag
When my Taycan 4S vehicle was at 2000 km, the paint losses and spills that I noticed on its rims started to increase. We have expressed this problem in every service maintenance, but we could not find a solution. I asked Porsche Turkey and later on Germany to convey the issue to higher authorities, but still there was no solution. It was said that the answer they gave was "external factor" and that it was the effect of nano-sized sandblast.

This answer did not satisfy me at all. I've used Cayenne for years before. There was no such deformation of the rims in any way.

My vehicle is now 15000 km and the problem is increasing. Even if I refrain from driving on rainy days and leaving its garage, it is something that should not be seen in such a premium vehicle that the rims become like this while using it so carefully. I have had many brand vehicles, but I have not encountered such a problem and indifference.

Do you anyone experience such problem with your taycans rims?

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S rim paint disappointment 2b86e863-fd83-49f8-961e-5c0880bad3cb

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S rim paint disappointment 3b37f700-caf7-477c-9710-120efe8d0da8

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S rim paint disappointment 93791df9-4499-4bf9-be89-f02050ecf8b4

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S rim paint disappointment IMG_1433

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S rim paint disappointment IMG_1436

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Is that the thickness of the paint that you are measuring in the photos?

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about paint variances on the wheels?
And the sandblasting is probably a function of the roads you're driving on?

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
it seems you have measured the side of the rim that is exposed to forward motion sandblasting when you drive. Did you measure the paint on the other side of rim branch– the one that is opposed to the rotational movement and not exposed to sandblasting?

If the paint is really wearing out as fast as it seems to be then keep driving the car until the paint flakes off (and it will be if it is wearing as fast as you describe) and then take it to Porsche for replacement/repair. AFAIK, Porsche rarely (if ever) does "preventive" warranty replacements; they want to see a "real" problem, not a "possible" problem.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've never had rims that didn't show wear with use.

The only workaround is making the car a garage queen, or getting them refinished periodically.

I don't think PPF can be used, either.

bgatxy1

First Name
b
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993, RRS, Taycan4S
Country flag
If and when the wheels are re-finished, ceramic coating would provide a little protection.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm still confused about the original issue. OP, are you measuring paint thickness in the same places and finding that it is decreasing over time, or are you simply finding different depths at different places on the rims? Also, are you concerned just about thickness or are you seeing damage to the wheels? If what is showing in the pics is not dirt, but actual damage, you must be driving somewhere with a lot of dirt/sand/rocks on the road.
Sponsored