OP
OP

Deleted member 6348

While I don’t have my Taycan yet, another tip I find really useful is staying behind trucks or other big vehicles. You don’t want to get too close, but if you can find a truck going 75+ mph, you can save 15-20% over 2 hours of driving. I did this regularly with my Tesla if I was cutting it close to the next destination. Otherwise, I would have to drop down to 60mph. At highway speeds, air resistance is the biggest eater of battery
I am driving much more quickly than any truck. Drafting would slow me down considerably. Taycan is slippery and its coasting ability is an asset at highway speeds.

Many roads in the northeast are 70MPH with flow of traffic at around 80+. 60MPH would be too slow here.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

impersonator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I am driving much more quickly than any truck. Drafting would slow me down considerably. Taycan is slippery and its coasting ability is an asset at highway speeds.

Many roads in the northeast are 70MPH with flow of traffic at around 80+. 60MPH would be too slow here.
Hence why you draft a truck going 70+ mph so you don’t have to go 60 mph driving solo just to get to the next charger. Ideally you have enough battery without having to do any of these shenanigans, but sometimes the conditions, charger, or trip estimation are not perfect.

No matter how slippery your car is, air resistance continues to be the biggest usage of energy at highway speeds for any vehicle. Simple aerodynamics. That’s why electric cars get better range in the city (45mph or less with regen) than highways. It’s opposite of gas cars, since they don’t have regen obviously.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6348

Hence why you draft a truck going 70+ mph so you don’t have to go 60 mph driving solo just to get to the next charger. Ideally you have enough battery without having to do any of these shenanigans, but sometimes the conditions, charger, or trip estimation are not perfect.

No matter how slippery your car is, air resistance continues to be the biggest usage of energy at highway speeds for any vehicle. Simple aerodynamics. That’s why electric cars get better range in the city (45mph or less with regen) than highways. It’s opposite of gas cars, since they don’t have regen obviously.
Being an engineer, I totally get that, but I’d have to be totally desperate to be drafting a truck. I’ve witnessed exploding tires and road debris surprises — not my idea of fun. Don’t get me started about rock chips and tailgating.

I prefer to stay clear of trucks. I am traveling considerably faster than them anyway.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Unlike the Tesla’s, I haven’t had to wait for a charger yet, but on a few occasions, I have encountered a slower charging vehicle taking up a 350kW charging spot. It’s a little frustrating to see a Mustang Mach-E only able to charge at 50kW taking up a 350kW charger. 😠
I think the Mach-E can do 150kW, but still...

I think that the reason owners with slower charging EVs use the 350kW chargers is that they genuinely believe that their car will charge faster than it will at the 150kW charger. They don't understand that the charging rate is limited by the car.
I have not found a polite way to inform them they are wasting my time. I usually just suck it up. I had a nice guy move his car so I could use the 350kW once without me saying a word, he got it.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Haha damn. Our speeds are quite a bit lower because of mountains. Hell, there are barely any flat roads in Bergen so I wouldn't want to go any faster on most roads. This does give me 500km+ even while crossing the country. I'm sure I could hit 600km with the 19".

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
My big learning driving from LA to Seattle 1500m is that 150kw chargers are pretty fast. It’s faster to charge at a 150kw than hunt down a 350kw especially as it’s special conditions when you get insane charging speeds.

overall the taycan is an insane road-trip machine. We have the CT and have also Done multiple Whistler trips, to the pacific coast, east over the cascades. Never any issues and the wife love it too!! #ewagon

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
.......I have not found a polite way to inform them they are wasting my time. I usually just suck it up. I had a nice guy move his car so I could use the 350kW once without me saying a word, he got it.
When I drove a Tesla and another Tesla owner would park next to me and cut my charging rate in half, I would walk up to his/her car and ask how long they owned their car. Usually it was a very short time. I would explain that every two chargers shared power and that both of our cars would charge twice as fast if they moved over one parking spot. They always apologized and moved their car.

Getting someone to move from a 350kW EA charger to a 150kW EA charger is a different matter. For one, there's a good chance that the other EV driver already tried to unsuccessfully use the 150kW charger. I have tried up to three chargers at EA stations on more than one occasion. So far I only had to leave without charging one time.

One time a Taycan owner parked next to me at a 150kW charger. I initiated a conversation with him and learned that he just bought the car out of State and was heading home. I explained that he could get a faster charge at the 350kW chargers. He appreciated the tip.

The next time I see someone with a car incapable of charging at a rate above 150kW at a 350kW charger I think I will try saying something like, "I did not realize your car could charge at above 150kW. What is the fastest rate you have seen?" Then I would add, "The best I have seen in the Taycan is about 260 even though Porsche claims 270."

Elroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, VW Golf GTI Mk8, Ford Raptor 6.2L
Country flag
detansinn,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this very informative guide. Expecting delivery of a 2022 Taycan GTS this June 24 and planning to drive it from North Texas to California for Monterey Car Week in August. Started trying to plan for this 1700 mile (each way) drive and your guidance is invaluable as this is our first EV.
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Road Trip Experiences w/ Performance Battery Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 11.31.55 AM

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
detansinn,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this very informative guide. Expecting delivery of a 2022 Taycan GTS this June 24 and planning to drive it from North Texas to California for Monterey Car Week in August. Started trying to plan for this 1700 mile (each way) drive and your guidance is invaluable as this is our first EV.
Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 11.31.55 AM.png

You should not be concerned at all about this trip. Essentially, you go north on I-35 to OKC, then take a left and take I-40 all the way to Barstow. You can then decided how you want to get up to Monterrey. There are Electrify America chargers every 150 miles along this entire route from Texas to California.

Trust the car, put in your destination on the GPS route planning, don't go too crazy on the speed, and you will be fine. In addition, you can always stay at a hotel with a destination charger, so you can wake up each morning with a full battery.

Load PlugShare and the Electrify America app on your phone, and get yourself a TelsaTap. After that, enjoy the drive.

Cheers

Elroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, VW Golf GTI Mk8, Ford Raptor 6.2L
Country flag
You should not be concerned at all about this trip. Essentially, you go north on I-35 to OKC, then take a left and take I-40 all the way to Barstow. You can then decided how you want to get up to Monterrey. There are Electrify America chargers every 150 miles along this entire route from Texas to California.

Trust the car, put in your destination on the GPS route planning, don't go too crazy on the speed, and you will be fine. In addition, you can always stay at a hotel with a destination charger, so you can wake up each morning with a full battery.

Load PlugShare and the Electrify America app on your phone, and get yourself a TelsaTap. After that, enjoy the drive.

Cheers
Coloradokid,
Thanks so much for your advice. Probably best to try to hit Electrify America for fast charging and cost reasons. Is there a directory of hotels that have destination chargers?
Appreciate you.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Coloradokid,
Thanks so much for your advice. Probably best to try to hit Electrify America for fast charging and cost reasons. Is there a directory of hotels that have destination chargers?
Appreciate you.
Plugshare will tell you everything you need to know in regards to where chargers are located.

Just need to filter the right chargers - CCS, J1772, and Tesla destination chargers if you have a TeslaTap.

Paul

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Fantastic write up and very useful info. Great tip on the charging spots being put in favs. Thank you for taking the time to write it up and provide it to the rest of us!! I live in Kansas and we don't have mountains (or really much in the way of hills) for regenerative braking, but if you get going fast enough you can just coast to the other side of our flat state. :like:

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Thread bookmarked!

I'll be driving from PEC Atlanta to Maryland in another week or so (hopefully). I also plan to drive to and from Sarasota FL twice a year :oops:
Sponsored