OP
OP

Deleted member 6348

Little update. I've done this same trip three more times and now coming up to 7k total miles. With efficient charging stops, I've successfully beaten the travel time in one of our gasoline powered cars. Woot! The car does get even better with the miles.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Little update. I've done this same trip three more times and now coming up to 7k total miles. With efficient charging stops, I've successfully beaten the travel time in one of our gasoline powered cars. Woot! The car does get even better with the miles.
I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe. I take a usual trip of about two hundred miles and always stop once for a charge. there is never any possible way to make up that 30 minutes plus lost to charging, even if I made the exact trip in an ICE vehicle and stopped for fuel the time lost to charging is still longer.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe. I take a usual trip of about two hundred miles and always stop once for a charge. there is never any possible way to make up that 30 minutes plus lost to charging, even if I made the exact trip in an ICE vehicle and stopped for fuel the time lost to charging is still longer.
30 minutes?

Ought to be closer to 20. Arrive with low SoC, use the 350kW staton, make sure charger is in the GPS for battery preconditioning, etc etc.

Visceral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 Turbo S. Spyder and CT4S on the way
Country flag
In order to get the best price for gas while taking trips here in Oregon, I try whenever I can to refuel either at Fred Meyers, a chain where I can usually get $1/gal off their already low prices from grocery points, or Costco when I'm not driving a diesel. I typically wait in line 15-30 minutes at either of those. Add in fueling and its either slower or on parity with the Taycan.

If some of you get great prices on fuel without waiting in line, you are doing something smarter. I understand my time is money, and yes 1/2 an hour is more than $1 a gallon, but allow me to live a little on principle.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
30 minutes?

Ought to be closer to 20. Arrive with low SoC, use the 350kW staton, make sure charger is in the GPS for battery preconditioning, etc etc.
even if I achieve a best case charging scenario of going from 20-80% SOC in 20 minutes of charging, which is something that I have yet to achieve, you are not including the time it takes to go from the route you are on to where the charger is located, chargers are rarely directly off of an interstate.
the time it takes to actually locate the charger, the time it takes to initiate the charge, and I will spend the extra minutes necessary to go beyond 80% charge on this particular trip.
you will probably spend 10-15 minutes extra to get that charging started.
hence my 30 minute remark.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
even if I achieve a best case charging scenario of going from 20-80% SOC in 20 minutes of charging, which is something that I have yet to achieve, you are not including the time it takes to go from the route you are on to where the charger is located, chargers are rarely directly off of an interstate.
the time it takes to actually locate the charger, the time it takes to initiate the charge, and I will spend the extra minutes necessary to go beyond 80% charge on this particular trip.
you will probably spend 10-15 minutes extra to get that charging started.
hence my 30 minute remark.
That's fair. These things are off the beaten path, there's the hunt to find them, time spent waiting for charging to handshake/begin, time switching chargers if one doesn't work, etc.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6348

Speed
Drive fast. That's important. Range mode, but kickdowns a plenty.

Charging Strategy
Navigation and PIRM to condition the battery. Plan the stops to take best advantage of the low SoC charging curve. I could skip stops on my journey, but I am intentionally keeping the battery at a low SoC to get the best charging performance. So, I am leaving an EA charger in 9-10 minutes instead of 20 minutes. That certainly helps door-to-door. With the road tripping miles, I'm getting much better at this. I am still actively experimenting along this route, because I will be doing this drive repeatedly in the coming months. I do not let PIRM pick the stops. I am navigating directly to them, which often gets me a more efficient route.

Luck of the Route
On this particular route, 3 out of 4 stops are within a mile of the interstate/turnpike and all have 350kw chargers. Given that these are familiar chargers, I also now know which are the good ones and which are finicky. Admittedly, that saves precious time.

The Maths
On a 500 mile trip at speed in an ICE vehicle, that's typically two stops for a bio break and gas while I am pulled over. Total time for those stops ends up being around 30 minutes (15 minutes per stop). So, with the Taycan on the same route, my hour total charge time target means that I need to make up a half hour over the 500 mile trip -- that's not hard do with an open road. With a 200 mile trip, that's a bit more difficult.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Speed
Drive fast. That's important. Range mode, but kickdowns a plenty.
what is a kick down?
driving faster will necessitate more charging stops, unless the chargers along the route are numerous and spaced out at 100+ miles apart the time gained by driving fast is lost to making more charging stops.
As I noted in another post, there is more time needed for charge stops than actual charging times.
those minutes wasted waiting for a light to change add up and I'd rather be moving at 70 mph and making less charge stops than driving at 90 mph and needing to make more stops.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6348

what is a kick down?
driving faster will necessitate more charging stops, unless the chargers along the route are numerous and spaced out at 100+ miles apart the time gained by driving fast is lost to making more charging stops.
As I noted in another post, there is more time needed for charge stops than actual charging times.
those minutes wasted waiting for a light to change add up and I'd rather be moving at 70 mph and making less charge stops than driving at 90 mph and needing to make more stops.
When you are in range mode, you can floor the pedal and the maximum speed is temporarily suspended. The momentum that you get from those slingshot moments can be helpful. Obviously, everyone's driving style and geography will be a little different.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
When you are in range mode, you can floor the pedal and the maximum speed is temporarily suspended. The momentum that you get from those slingshot moments can be helpful. Obviously, everyone's driving style and geography will be a little different.
I have my max speed set in range mode set at 95mph or so, so I've never had you use that sort of driving style.
frankly I rarely if ever use range mode, too hot here in FLA to limit the AC

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
I have gotten up to 250kw and charged up to 80% in 20 mins. You have to get that low SOC pulling in, get that battery pre-conditioned and sometimes it’ll still be luck or state of the charger and if it wants to give those top speeds. I’ve done all the above and sometimes still “only” top out at 175kw. But you can save much time if you only stop when you have to. Like for 200 miles, I wouldn’t even stop during that drive unless there was no charging available at the destination I’m going to. I get 250-300 miles range (big battery) on road trips, depending on if I keep it 80 mph most times and under.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Like for 200 miles, I wouldn’t even stop during that drive unless there was no charging available at the destination I’m going to.
I have never gotten over 260 miles on an almost full battery, I disregard the guess o meter and rely on assuming a 245 mile range, 2021 4s with 20 inch all season tires.

the reason for stopping is that I don't want to arrive with a less than 20% SOC in an area where charging is not easy. Tampa has a few 50 KW chargers and many l2 units. the closest EA is about 10 miles off of my routing.
the hotel I usually stay in does have 2 tesla destination chargers but I am SOL if they are taken when I arrive.

my last trip to St. Pete I had charging issues trying to use 2 local 50kw evgo chargers. and had to spend a morning seeking out a local charger, I wound up going 20 miles to find a working L3 unit.

I like to arrive with enough of a charge to be able to drive some locally and then be able to get to an EA unit to top off on the return trip.

I am well versed on the ins and outs of EV road tripping, and the way I charge on this trip that I do frequently has worked out fairly well for me.

Last edited:

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
I have never gotten over 260 miles on an almost full battery, I disregard the guess o meter and rely on assuming a 245 mile range, 2021 4s with 20 inch all season tires.

the reason for stopping is that I don't want to arrive with a less than 20% SOC in an area where charging is not easy. Tampa has a few 50 KW chargers and many l2 units. the closest EA is about 10 miles off of my routing.
the hotel I usually stay in does have 2 tesla destination chargers but I am SOL if they are taken when I arrive.

my last trip to St. Pete I had charging issues trying to use 2 local 50kw evgo chargers. and had to spend a morning seeking out a local charger, I wound up going 20 miles to find a working L3 unit.

I like to arrive with enough of a charge to be able to drive some locally and then be able to get to an EA unit to top off on the return trip.

I am well versed on the ins and outs of EV road tripping, and the way I charge on this trip that I do frequently has worked out fairly well for me.
Just trying to help And let folks know its possible. My car is similar to yours. My range estimator has been highly accurate. I’ve done trips now from Huntsville to Orlando (twice), Atlanta, Charlotte NC, New Orleans and only once was that meter really off and that’s on the way back from New Orleans and the temps dropped that day into low 30s and a seriously strong headwind blew the entire trip back. I’m not sure what’s the magic trick where some get close to 300 miles and other get closer to 200 mile average. I punch it when I’m local sometimes, but on roadtrips i take it smooth, average about 80 on the highways, sometime in the 90s but mostly just set cruise to 80 and I dont even put it in eco. Oh….one thing i know that affects range too is the AC. It drains range much faster than heat does for my car. I will typically put the AC in eco and 73/74 if I use it, or windows down if it is not too hot. Maybe that’s why i get higher range? 🤷🏾‍♂️

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
is the AC. It drains range much faster than heat does for my car. I will typically put the AC in eco and 73/74 if I use it, or windows down if it is not too hot. Maybe that’s why i get higher range? 🤷🏾‍♂️
that could be, my AC is set at 67, I never use range mode but I don't buy that the AC has that dramatic of an impact on range.
on longer trips I don't get too far over 75.
each car is different. each driver is different

OP
OP

Deleted member 6348

I recently crossed passed 13,500 miles. My Taycan has now been to the following states.
  • Pennsylvania
  • New York
  • New Jersey
  • Connecticut
  • Massachusetts
  • New Hampshire
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • West Virginia
  • Ohio
In the next couple of months, will be adding Indiana, Michigan, Rhode Island, and Vermont to this list.
Sponsored